Behringer Eurolive B215XL 15" 2-Way as L/R Mains - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 444 Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are looking for dispersion, the Behringer stage monitors have it in spades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 444 Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Mark,

With the connections the way that they are, how do you hook these up to a receiver? Maybe its easier than it looks, but it doesn't look like I can use regular speaker cable.

Also, is there any specific reason you are not using a third as a center?

Thank you
post #33 of 444 Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
You can convert your own speaker cable in about five minutes for less than $8. Here is one example:

Speakon connector: Parts Express #092-198
Banana Jacks: Parts Express # 091-356

90 degree connector shown, but the straight connector in the link is even easier to assemble. In the last image, the wire is not positioned fully into the screw cup of the connector. The insulation should stop just above the cup, not 1/4" above.

Mike
wink.gif
post #34 of 444 Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Nice write up! Much appreciated.

Was there ever a time while watching TV/movies that a center channel would've help center the dialogue more, or were these doing the job just fine? Did you take note at what degree off-axis the stage started to collapse? Thanks.
post #35 of 444 Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish323 View Post

Nice write up! Much appreciated.

Was there ever a time while watching TV/movies that a center channel would've help center the dialogue more, or were these doing the job just fine? Did you take note at what degree off-axis the stage started to collapse? Thanks.

That's entirely circumstantial, based on the room and listening distance. The speakers have relatively controlled directivity. which I find helps prevent the image from collapsing, so long as your listeners are all within the tweeter's range, which is 70 degrees (horizontal) by 40 degrees (vertical). I toe in the speakers a fair bit, and I get good imaging across my couch. I don't miss the center channel at all, dialog is ridiculously clear and I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness last night, which cemented my view that these speakers are perfect for home theater.

If I get another projector—I recently sold my Epson 8350—I'll look for an acoustically transparent screen and add a third B215XL. However, for both movies and music I am perfectly pleased with using phantom center mode. 2-channel stereo is superb as well, really a highlight.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #36 of 444 Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM

I bought a trio of these for my front stage based on Mark's review and how the design is similar to other theater speakers. Though I have little to no background in premium speakers, I am very very impressed with the big sound these are capable of - especially watching movies.

Thank you for the review, I am very pleased with this speaker!
imagic likes this.
post #37 of 444 Old 03-11-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstrawberry View Post

I bought a trio of these for my front stage based on Mark's review and how the design is similar to other theater speakers. Though I have little to no background in premium speakers, I am very very impressed with the big sound these are capable of - especially watching movies.

Thank you for the review, I am very pleased with this speaker!

Oh wow! Glad you like. What's the possibility of going vertical with the center channel? The horn dispersion is relatively limited when it's on the side like that, although maybe its enough to cover a sofa. If it works, one nice thing about that arrangement is how the speaker was designed to double as a stage monitor, so it has just the right tilt for use on its side like that.

I've been thinking about getting a third for the center and actually using it as the TV stand.

post #38 of 444 Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Plan A was to move the Denon and place the center channel vertical under the TV. It turns out, with the center on its side its firing directly at the couch and it seemingly ties in equally with the L/R. Thankfully it also spared me rerunning a bunch or wires and tearing out the permanent shelf.

I hope to learn REW soon (UMIK-1 is on the way) which may help me make a better-informed decision on final placement.smile.gif
post #39 of 444 Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Prior to this thread, I never would have thought of using a 15" woofer in a center channel. I think the relatively high resonant frequency helps.

FYI, these are the speakers that are used in commercial cinemas.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/3000-series#.UyCM62fDj01

Its interesting that some speakers (8320, 3678) are THX certified (certifiable ?) and the others aren't.
post #40 of 444 Old 03-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudII View Post

Prior to this thread, I never would have thought of using a 15" woofer in a center channel. I think the relatively high resonant frequency helps.

FYI, these are the speakers that are used in commercial cinemas.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/3000-series#.UyCM62fDj01

Its interesting that some speakers (8320, 3678) are THX certified (certifiable ?) and the others aren't.

basically it comes down to if the company wants to pay to have THX engineers look at their product, test it and then slap an approval on it so if the company had a few similar speakers already tested and you build another series based around the same design and build quality then why pay to have THX certify those when you know they would most likely pass their requirements thus slapping the label THX certifiable, mean yeah we didnt feel like blowing money getting the actual certification but we are fairly confident that it would lol. smile.gif

post #41 of 444 Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

basically it comes down to if the company wants to pay to have THX engineers look at their product, test it and then slap an approval on it so if the company had a few similar speakers already tested and you build another series based around the same design and build quality then why pay to have THX certify those when you know they would most likely pass their requirements thus slapping the label THX certifiable, mean yeah we didnt feel like blowing money getting the actual certification but we are fairly confident that it would lol. smile.gif

I tried finding the upper volume limit of the B215XLs when powered by my Pioneer Elite SC-55 and I chickened out when it started to feel dangerous—which happened to measure between 110-115 db at my MLP. There was no sign of strain whatsoever.

Daniel Chaves likes this.

post #42 of 444 Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I tried finding the upper volume limit of the B215XLs when powered by my Pioneer Elite SC-55 and I chickened out when it started to feel dangerous—which happened to measure between 110-115 db at my MLP. There was no sign of strain whatsoever.
Its great to see you share this sort of information !

Any updates from subwoofer land ? I saw in another post that you sent the SVS PB2000 back. How did it match up with the 215s ?

Did you do a build thread for your home made subs ?
post #43 of 444 Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone else have these speakers? I'm tempted to try to listen to them somewhere but my local music stores don't carry the non-powered version.
post #44 of 444 Old 03-20-2014, 11:36 AM

Hey Mark
Just reading the GTG you attended. Very interesting. JTR seems to be regarded by everyone as one of the best, especially the 212, but how does the Single 8 compare to these Behringer B215XL's? You seemed to like them a lot. Coax vs Horn?? I do prefer my speakers just like you said, "Very forward, crisp and dynamic".
post #45 of 444 Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

Hey Mark
Just reading the GTG you attended. Very interesting. JTR seems to be regarded by everyone as one of the best, especially the 212, but how does the Single 8 compare to these Behringer B215XL's? You seemed to like them a lot. Coax vs Horn?? I do prefer my speakers just like you said, "Very forward, crisp and dynamic".

I will bring the 215XLs with me to the next GTG or perhaps demo a pair of Single 8s at home if I can work that out. My room and my system are too different, and it's been too long, to offer that opinion.

post #46 of 444 Old 03-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Just for fun I went down to Long&McQuade today and listened to the U15P (powered version). I have never heard any of the PA type speakers before. They were only sitting on the sales counter shelf so not ideal at all but that's all they could do. Took my demo CD's. They did sound very good. Nice and clean with good bass. If the Behringer B215XL's were close in performance for us at home then I would be a customer. The U15's are $1725 each!
post #47 of 444 Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 PM

From my X4000 for what its worth. Still not sure what the waves around 100Hz mean and have not yet had the energy to learn REW.

I just got in dual FV15hps yesterday have have been ecstatic to say the least! I listened to music for a few hours last night and watched Man of Steel BR tonight. Very impressive on both accounts and capable of being incredibly loud...

Im looking forward to having a few of my B&W friends over to show off. smile.gif
post #48 of 444 Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

For what it's worth, I've literally stopped thinking about speakers since I got the Behringers. I've enjoyed every minute of music and movie soundtrack that's come out of them. Amazing.

digitrip likes this.

post #49 of 444 Old 04-12-2014, 08:14 AM

Any updates on subwoofer pairings with these speakers ?
post #50 of 444 Old 04-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

How do we find out about these AVS gatherings? and were each one occurs?

post #51 of 444 Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

How do we find out about these AVS gatherings? and were each one occurs?

Daniel, you usually have to keep your eye on the Area Home Theater Meets section.

Also, the DIY fellas tend to organise a fair proportion of G2G's and coordinate them in the DIY Speakers and Subs section.
-Axle- and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #52 of 444 Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTHX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudII View Post

So what are you using for your house "stereo" and why aren't the Behringers in there ?

In the living room I have Acoustic Zen as my front three and Paridigm as surrounds with 2 JL 112 Fathoms for subs. Home theatre ( under construction) has 3 JTR Noesis 212 HT-LP. surrounds will be DIY V-8 or V-10's and 4- UXL 18's.

I don't think I would have any problem using Behringer's all around in theatre if I was limited on the budget, other than surround duty as its hard to make them blend into room. For the cost of just 2-JTR's you could by a complete Behringer system. Would it have the performance of my system? I don't think it would ( At least I hope not, or I'm going to feel really dumb for spending all this extra money) LOL If I get to the point of Getting mains hooked up this weekend, I might just haul down Behringer's to Basement and do a side by side with the mains. Won't have a sub comparison as I'm still waiting for UXL's and Pro 1800 is a little heavy to haul down stairs by myself. I can tell you that it blows away Fathom's from 35 or so Hz up in volume, and to my girlfriend sounds better. She finds that very deep bass sounds muddy to her for lack of a better word ( not as tight sounding). For me I like the 20 hz notes hitting you hard and that's why I chose the UXL's and 4 of them.

I would love to hear your thoughts on a comparison
post #53 of 444 Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

I would love to hear your thoughts on a comparison

I still haven't got around to hauling them down stairs to so the comparison yet, I know that in the midbass area the Behringers will win hands down. Been running the 212 full range for a month while I work on theatre and basement wiring and they don't have a lot. Although it may just be just because the 212 horn is so strong. I will see if I can get it done this weekend.
post #54 of 444 Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Mark,
This may be a strange question, but how would you think the speakers would do upside-down? In my present setup, my monitors sit directly on a cabinet. The Behringers are so large that the horn would end up way above ear level. I've seen other speakers oriented with the mid/woofer on top(RSL comes to mind); what do you think that would do to the Behringers?
post #55 of 444 Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone is the LA area using these speakers in their home theater that I would be able to check out?

post #56 of 444 Old 04-14-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hello Mark,

Thank you for sharing this information about these speakers.

Would you recommend these Behringer speakers for a 2-channel stereo setup? I have an Emotiva Pre-amp and Power amp.

Thank you.
post #57 of 444 Old 04-14-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divergent9999 View Post

Hello Mark,

Thank you for sharing this information about these speakers.

Would you recommend these Behringer speakers for a 2-channel stereo setup? I have an Emotiva Pre-amp and Power amp.

Thank you.

Only in conjunction with a subwoofer, but yes. 

post #58 of 444 Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

Mark,
This may be a strange question, but how would you think the speakers would do upside-down? In my present setup, my monitors sit directly on a cabinet. The Behringers are so large that the horn would end up way above ear level. I've seen other speakers oriented with the mid/woofer on top(RSL comes to mind); what do you think that would do to the Behringers?

Nothing bad happens. I had them higher up and upside-down for a while, it works.

post #59 of 444 Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
@imagic

How do the B215XL compare with the JBL 3677 speaker?
How about B215XL against Klipsch Reference tower like RF82ii?
post #60 of 444 Old 04-15-2014, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

@imagic

How do the B215XL compare with the JBL 3677 speaker?
How about B215XL against Klipsch Reference tower like RF82ii?

They B215XL is a slightly more subdued. Both of those other speakers are more full-range, the Behringers require a reltively high crossover in comparison. When properly matched to subwoofers, all three speaker models perform rather similarly in that they are clean and dynamic and capable of tremendous output.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Behringer B215xl Passive Speaker Pair , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Behringer , B 52 Lx 1515v3 1000w Dual 15 Pa Speaker , B 52 , Behringer Eurolive B212d Active 550 Watt 2 Way Pa Speaker System With 12 Inch Woofer And 1 35 Inch C
Gear in this thread - B212d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page