Behringer Eurolive B215XL 15" 2-Way as L/R Mains - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #181 of 704 Old 04-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Newbie
 
blakflag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I decided to take the plunge on 2 Amazon refurbished B215XLs for my unfinished basement. I wanted them for music during workouts and projects. Eventually I may finish the basement and hook up my projector down there for a basement home theater.

Hooked them up to my old Onkyo receiver and I can confirm that:

1) they are loud... with a modest receiver they filled up my large basement and made my ears hurt without sounding harsh, or even breaking a sweat. I'm guessing this is the 96db sensitivity in action.
2) they sound good with music. (as good as any speakers can sound in a basement with cement floors). No complaints.
3) They indeed have no bottom end to speak of. I was prepared for this although the huge 15" woofers definitely made me subconsciously expect more.

I'm kind of a bass head so I already expected to need a subwoofer to eventually go along with these. But I am very happy with them, and as an added bonus I got my girlfriend to roll her eyes at the size of my new speakers. LOL.

I'm hoping some people will report their experiences with the Behringer stage subs because I'm curious as to how those perform.
elmerfudII likes this.
blakflag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 704 Old 04-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
TheGiantPeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakflag View Post

I'm hoping some people will report their experiences with the Behringer stage subs because I'm curious as to how those perform.

 

Well the $550 powered 15 inch and the $650 powered 18 inch are both rated at 40hz-150hz +-3dB. So while I'm sure the can put out a ton of sound, they aren't going to dig nearly deep enough to be effective for movies.

 

If you have a really large basement and only care about music or playing really loud (or putting on concerts), one of these subs might be a good option, but even at that price there are far better options for movies. 

TheGiantPeach is online now  
post #183 of 704 Old 04-28-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,559
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantPeach View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakflag View Post

I'm hoping some people will report their experiences with the Behringer stage subs because I'm curious as to how those perform.

 

Well the $550 powered 15 inch and the $650 powered 18 inch are both rated at 40hz-150hz +-3dB. So while I'm sure the can put out a ton of sound, they aren't going to dig nearly deep enough to be effective for movies.

 

If you have a really large basement and only care about music or playing really loud (or putting on concerts), one of these subs might be a good option, but even at that price there are far better options for movies. 

 

Agreed, for home use the B215XLs are best paired with subs that can dig as deep as possible.


Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
post #184 of 704 Old 04-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
AlphaPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Wife has officially vetoed these speakers based solely on their looks (or lack of). On to the next approved upgrade rolleyes.gif

WTB: CHANE ARX SPEAKERS
Denon 4520CI - Polk 3.0 system (apartment life fml)
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
AlphaPie is offline  
post #185 of 704 Old 04-28-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
XStanleyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

Wife has officially vetoed these speakers based solely on their looks (or lack of). On to the next approved upgrade rolleyes.gif

 

I may have vetoed them myself in the past but having a designated man's cave made it an easy decision for me.  The looks are definitely not for everyone. Men included. They sure don't sound the way they look though.


Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazings / Polk Audio LSIM 705's / Fusion 12 Tempest
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
XStanleyX is offline  
post #186 of 704 Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
elmerfudII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I may have vetoed them myself in the past but having a designated man's cave made it an easy decision for me.  The looks are definitely not for everyone. Men included. They sure don't sound the way they look though.

Actually, I think they sound exactly as they look. The 215 cabinets were designed for excellent sound, period. Not a cent was spent making them look pretty. There were no compromises. This is in sharp contrast to most "HiFi" speakers that are as much about show as performance.

I'll be hiding all my speakers. I'm hoping the center, fronts and sub all fit behind my AT screen. I'm not sure how I will hide the rears yet, but given time I'll figure something out.

I'm hoping that people report their findings on subwoofers and rears. I'd hop in this thread and contribute testing, but my basement theater space is presently storing various stuff for the house. I have no place to test anything.

Many thanks to the OP and other people who contributed to this thread.

One more thing... I'd rather have crystal clear 215s and back them up with a good sub than have a fuller range speaker that needed less sub help and didn't sound as clear. For the price of 2 3677s, one can pretty much set up a whole system based on the 215s. I'm not sure that makes the 3677s cost effective, for my setup anyway.

Please bring on the sub discussion !
elmerfudII is offline  
post #187 of 704 Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,755
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I'm making arrangements to take my pair of B215XLs over to @Gorilla83
's (awesome) humble basement hangout where we'll compare them to a pair of 15-inch SEOS Sentinels, which are a DIY kit with a very similar design. The Behringers cost half what the SEOS Sentinels do on a per-unit basis, so it's going to be very interesting to hear the results.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Cool, next week I am comparing my DR-250 arrays against the mighty U215 from Yorkville. People say these are on par with the very best at GTG's so I will know where I stand with my arrays.

were either of these tests done? edit - found Jame's thread!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #188 of 704 Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,559
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I'm making arrangements to take my pair of B215XLs over to @Gorilla83
's (awesome) humble basement hangout where we'll compare them to a pair of 15-inch SEOS Sentinels, which are a DIY kit with a very similar design. The Behringers cost half what the SEOS Sentinels do on a per-unit basis, so it's going to be very interesting to hear the results.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Cool, next week I am comparing my DR-250 arrays against the mighty U215 from Yorkville. People say these are on par with the very best at GTG's so I will know where I stand with my arrays.

were either of these tests done? edit - found Jame's thread!

 

Gorilla and I are going to do the SEOS Sentinel vs. B215XL comparison, but due to busy schedules it'll be a few weeks before we can get around to it.


Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
post #189 of 704 Old 04-29-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,825
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 537
I will tell you right now if these speakers compare very well with the SEOS sentinel I will buy them to compare to my setup. I am still testing the U215's which are awesome!

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
MKtheater is online now  
post #190 of 704 Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
 
pokeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gta Canada
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 486
I'd say that on paper the sentinels should have the upper hand by a small margin on clarity due to seos/non titanium CD, "better" crossover components and considerably deeper bass (according to the diysound Mic measurements). Both will probably go loud enough to make you deaf in a normal sized living room with Assn average avr.

I am most interested in clarity of voices for movies.

I'm also biased as Erich is about to or has just sent my tempest kit(s) so I hope the berhs suck big time in comparison :-) j/k
pokeme is offline  
post #191 of 704 Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 AM
Member
 
randallhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago Suburb
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakflag View Post

I decided to take the plunge on 2 Amazon refurbished B215XLs for my unfinished basement. I wanted them for music during workouts and projects. Eventually I may finish the basement and hook up my projector down there for a basement home theater.

Hooked them up to my old Onkyo receiver and I can confirm that:

1) they are loud... with a modest receiver they filled up my large basement and made my ears hurt without sounding harsh, or even breaking a sweat. I'm guessing this is the 96db sensitivity in action.
2) they sound good with music. (as good as any speakers can sound in a basement with cement floors). No complaints.
3) They indeed have no bottom end to speak of. I was prepared for this although the huge 15" woofers definitely made me subconsciously expect more.

I'm kind of a bass head so I already expected to need a subwoofer to eventually go along with these. But I am very happy with them, and as an added bonus I got my girlfriend to roll her eyes at the size of my new speakers. LOL.

I'm hoping some people will report their experiences with the Behringer stage subs because I'm curious as to how those perform.

Can it be done? Is this the best configuration for bypassing a pro amp and connecting directly to a powered pro audio subwoofer from a consumer AVR with a RCA sub pre-out ?

(1) Consumer based AVR RCA sub out (5v) to (2) an ART Cleanbox Pro (RCA sub out from AVR--->RCA unbalanced input on ART CB--->(3) ART CD XLR balanced out--->(4) to a pro audio powered subwoofer XLR balanced input (e.g., Peavey or Behringer powered Subwoofer) or any other pro audio powered subwoofer with balanced XLR / TSR / Speakon input?? Does the age, make, model (specs) of the AVR really matter if all I want to do is add bass to an existing four 2-way 100W 8 ohm outdoor speakers...i.e., large pool, deck, jacuzzi...outdoor area about 75' x 50'. Using XLR, Speakon or TRS cables. Maybe daisy-chain the two subs or use an XLR splitter out from the ART Cleanbox Pro?

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Audyssey XT32
BD: Oppo BDP-103 - NAS - LenovoEMC - px2-300d 6TB
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TC-P50G10
Speakers: Infinity Interlude - IL40 Fronts, IL30 Surrounds, IL36C Center
Subs: Dual JBL - ES250P 12" 400W RMS
Turntable: B&O Beogram 1600 - REW Mic - UMIK-1 USB
randallhill is offline  
post #192 of 704 Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,825
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Are you having any problems with the NanoAVR? I seem to have drop outs and then get stuck and sometimes rebooting works but tonight it did not so I gave up completely.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
MKtheater is online now  
post #193 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 AM
Newbie
 
FUTRIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are these like when used at a fairly short listening distance (4 - 7 ft) ?

Also can anyone recommend an amp suitable for these when high volume isn't required? Do I need a multi channel receiver if I only plan on adding a sub in the future?

thanks

^ for Music, that is, not home cinema
FUTRIX is offline  
post #194 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTRIX View Post

What are these like when used at a fairly short listening distance (4 - 7 ft) ?

Also can anyone recommend an amp suitable for these when high volume isn't required? Do I need a multi channel receiver if I only plan on adding a sub in the future?

thanks

^ for Music, that is, not home cinema
some preamp have the sub-out connections
Skylinestar is offline  
post #195 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Fr. John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, I've been directed to this thread based on my request for help here.

I've got a pair of these in my cart right now. But would like to know if this is going to work with what I have already and what do I need (I know nothing about speakon? connectors!):

- Yamaha RX-V673
- SVS 20-39Pci
- Need a new Center, mine is just too small
- connectors?

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Fr. John is offline  
post #196 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
TheGiantPeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTRIX View Post

What are these like when used at a fairly short listening distance (4 - 7 ft) ?

Also can anyone recommend an amp suitable for these when high volume isn't required? Do I need a multi channel receiver if I only plan on adding a sub in the future?

thanks

^ for Music, that is, not home cinema

If you're looking for something small with really low distortion, check out this Topping amp here. It's good for at least 15 clean watts per channel, which would give you more than 100dB at 6 feet away. It doesn't have a sub output, but if you got a sub with speaker-level ins and outs, it would work great. 

 

If you need a sub out, you might have to look at full size stereo receivers. 

TheGiantPeach is online now  
post #197 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudII View Post

Actually, I think they sound exactly as they look. The 215 cabinets were designed for excellent sound, period. Not a cent was spent making them look pretty. There were no compromises. This is in sharp contrast to most "HiFi" speakers that are as much about show as performance.

I'll be hiding all my speakers. I'm hoping the center, fronts and sub all fit behind my AT screen. I'm not sure how I will hide the rears yet, but given time I'll figure something out.

I'm hoping that people report their findings on subwoofers and rears. I'd hop in this thread and contribute testing, but my basement theater space is presently storing various stuff for the house. I have no place to test anything.

Many thanks to the OP and other people who contributed to this thread.

One more thing... I'd rather have crystal clear 215s and back them up with a good sub than have a fuller range speaker that needed less sub help and didn't sound as clear. For the price of 2 3677s, one can pretty much set up a whole system based on the 215s. I'm not sure that makes the 3677s cost effective, for my setup anyway.

Please bring on the sub discussion !
The JBL 3677 is under $600 a piece shipped from Spectrum Audio. The Behringers from Amazon are a little under $500 shipped. I'd pick the 3677 for the little extra money.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #198 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGiantPeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

The JBL 3677 is under $600 a piece shipped from Spectrum Audio. The Behringers from Amazon are a little under $500 shipped. I'd pick the 3677 for the little extra money.

Amazon is showing the 215xl's for $220 each with free shipping for me.
Reddig likes this.
TheGiantPeach is online now  
post #199 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,559
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudII View Post

Actually, I think they sound exactly as they look. The 215 cabinets were designed for excellent sound, period. Not a cent was spent making them look pretty. There were no compromises. This is in sharp contrast to most "HiFi" speakers that are as much about show as performance.

I'll be hiding all my speakers. I'm hoping the center, fronts and sub all fit behind my AT screen. I'm not sure how I will hide the rears yet, but given time I'll figure something out.

I'm hoping that people report their findings on subwoofers and rears. I'd hop in this thread and contribute testing, but my basement theater space is presently storing various stuff for the house. I have no place to test anything.

Many thanks to the OP and other people who contributed to this thread.

One more thing... I'd rather have crystal clear 215s and back them up with a good sub than have a fuller range speaker that needed less sub help and didn't sound as clear. For the price of 2 3677s, one can pretty much set up a whole system based on the 215s. I'm not sure that makes the 3677s cost effective, for my setup anyway.

Please bring on the sub discussion !
The JBL 3677 is under $600 a piece shipped from Spectrum Audio. The Behringers from Amazon are a little under $500 shipped. I'd pick the 3677 for the little extra money.

 

Either that's the powered version, or it's per pair. The usual price for a B215XL is $200/each, shipping may vary.

Reddig likes this.

Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
post #200 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fr. John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

OK, I've been directed to this thread based on my request for help here.

I've got a pair of these in my cart right now. But would like to know if this is going to work with what I have already and what do I need (I know nothing about speakon? connectors!):

- Yamaha RX-V673
- SVS 20-39Pci
- Need a new Center, mine is just too small
- connectors?

Come on guys! I've only got 2 hours left before it's too late wink.gif

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Fr. John is offline  
post #201 of 704 Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Either that's the powered version, or it's per pair. The usual price for a B215XL is $200/each, shipping may vary.

Awe yes it was a pair. I apologize thanks for the correction.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0064RFIY6/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7VMODKUTIUWFY2Q&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0064RFIY6&linkCode=xm2&tag=avsforum00-thr-mcb-li-t-m-20

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #202 of 704 Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Newbie
 
Ribbon pasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austria (not Australia)
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15


hi guys,

 

please pardon my awfull english but i'm from Continental-Europe and I randomly launched to this thread. I pimped my onkyo av-Receiver with pa-amps an the sound was great. Then I changed my Receiver by a denon dn-500 av an the + at sound was amazing. After this I added a Behringer B1800D Subwoofer. Wow, endless deep, clear and dry bass in my 16 m² homecinema even with full volume. Now I am considering buying new Speakers and here come the behringer B215XL in the game. With us in the forums the theme cinema and pa speakers is not discussed. And if, then is mainly bad talked about. I did up to now only good experiences with pa equipment in the home theater and am glad about this threat. I ordered me to test already a behringer B215XL as a Center. So far all pa devices sound better and are cheaper than my thx select 2 devices (Onkyo tx-nr 809, speaker Teufl system 5 THX select 2).

 

So long

imagic likes this.
Ribbon pasta is offline  
post #203 of 704 Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
XStanleyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbon pasta View Post
 


hi guys,

 

please pardon my awfull english but i'm from Continental-Europe and I randomly launched to this thread. I pimped my onkyo av-Receiver with pa-amps an the sound was great. Then I changed my Receiver by a denon dn-500 av an the + at sound was amazing. After this I added a Behringer B1800D Subwoofer. Wow, endless deep, clear and dry bass in my 16 m² homecinema even with full volume. Now I am considering buying new Speakers and here come the behringer B215XL in the game. With us in the forums the theme cinema and pa speakers is not discussed. And if, then is mainly bad talked about. I did up to now only good experiences with pa equipment in the home theater and am glad about this threat. I ordered me to test already a behringer B215XL as a Center. So far all pa devices sound better and are cheaper than my thx select 2 devices (Onkyo tx-nr 809, speaker Teufl system 5 THX select 2).

 

So long


Welcome to the forum Ribbon. I think you'll find the B215XL is a stellar performing center speaker. I've enjoyed it as much as any I've owned to date on movie nights.


Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazings / Polk Audio LSIM 705's / Fusion 12 Tempest
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
XStanleyX is offline  
post #204 of 704 Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Newbie
 
Ribbon pasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austria (not Australia)
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have another question for the B215XL operators: which surrounds you have combined with the BEHRINGER?

 

Thank you
Ribbon pasta is offline  
post #205 of 704 Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Member
 
DocOrange88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hey guys any thoughts on going with EUROLIVE VS1520 in place of the 215XL seems like they are almost the same speaker?
DocOrange88 is online now  
post #206 of 704 Old 05-21-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post

Hey guys any thoughts on going with EUROLIVE VS1520 in place of the 215XL seems like they are almost the same speaker?

The fact that Mark and XStanleyX are reporting that the B215XL is an excellent low cost option for music and movies in no way extrapolates to other models in the Behringer line. I wouldn't even consider going with a complete unknown to save $25 a cabinet when the B215XL has two credible AVS members singing accolades.
Finding professional audio gear reviews is not easy. A big thanks to Mark for trying the B215's out and reporting.
XStanleyX and trog69 like this.

.
DavidK442 is online now  
post #207 of 704 Old 05-21-2014, 09:47 PM
 
LowerFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
After some very good experiences with PA speakers, I decided to go to my local music store to check out these Behringers.

The local store did not have a B215xl, but it did have a B115MP3. I really hope the B215XL is a completely different speaker, because to me, the B115 sounded horrible in just about every way. What surprised me is that it managed to somehow sound harsh with a rolled off top end. It did not help that I was listening to a professionally set up Meyer sound system (which was jaw dropping good, and honestly, better than any speaker I've ever heard) a few hours before listening to the B115, but even without that experience the B115 is still clearly a horrible sounding speaker.

Then I tried a Yamaha DXR8 with some electronic music, and that got me going, that's more like it! The Yamaha sounded really good to me with trap and other electronic music, and shined at higher volumes. But what really surprised me is that just for kicks, I listened to some normal music, like Marvin Gaye, on the Yamaha's, and it sounded *really* bad. I've never heard a speaker that could sound so good with one genre and completely fall apart with another.

This post is in no ways bashing the B215XL, since I've never heard it. It is just my thoughts on hearing some PA speakers of vastly different price points after listening to "Hi-Fi" speakers all my life.
LowerFE is offline  
post #208 of 704 Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 PM
 
pokeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gta Canada
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

After some very good experiences with PA speakers, I decided to go to my local music store to check out these Behringers.

The local store did not have a B215xl, but it did have a B115MP3. I really hope the B215XL is a completely different speaker, because to me, the B115 sounded horrible in just about every way. What surprised me is that it managed to somehow sound harsh with a rolled off top end. It did not help that I was listening to a professionally set up Meyer sound system (which was jaw dropping good, and honestly, better than any speaker I've ever heard) a few hours before listening to the B115, but even without that experience the B115 is still clearly a horrible sounding speaker.

Then I tried a Yamaha DXR8 with some electronic music, and that got me going, that's more like it! The Yamaha sounded really good to me with trap and other electronic music, and shined at higher volumes. But what really surprised me is that just for kicks, I listened to some normal music, like Marvin Gaye, on the Yamaha's, and it sounded *really* bad. I've never heard a speaker that could sound so good with one genre and completely fall apart with another.

This post is in no ways bashing the B215XL, since I've never heard it. It is just my thoughts on hearing some PA speakers of vastly different price points after listening to "Hi-Fi" speakers all my life.

Luckily, completely different speakers.
pokeme is offline  
post #209 of 704 Old 05-22-2014, 03:29 AM
Member
 
trog69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: S. W. USA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
While I don't have any plans on purchasing these any time soon, I am curious about them, as I thoroughly enjoyed my two BFI Bullfrog PA loudspeakers, using a Project One 180w/ch stereo receiver to push them, and hair-metal playing through them. I've moved on from those days, and why I still have relatively good hearing after 50+ years of headbanging and construction work is beyond me.

Anyway, I was just wondering about the LF output of the B215XL. From what I've read here, it seems to have a lack of oomph, and so needs (demands?) a subwoofer to compensate. So in effect is the 15" woofer now relegated to low/mid-range output? If so, why not go with the 12" model for faster response? Wouldn't a smaller driver move faster, and so be less distorted in reproducing mid-LF?

Obviously we're all having to rely on only a few tests done with them so far, and I'm showing my ignorance by asking these questions, but I've been called worse than ignorant and somehow survived the ordeal, so I'm unafraid!

i7-2600k @4.4ghz/gtx 780(stock clocks)/Samsung 830 @256gb/WD Veloc. 1TB/Sound via Sony 7.1ch cheapo/B&W 601se/KEF C-40(dual-8"driver mini-towers)/SVS PB-1000 sub/FiiO E17 Alpen DAC/Audio Technica M50 headphones(never used! heheh)/Crossover 2560x1440 monitor
trog69 is offline  
post #210 of 704 Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM
 
pokeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gta Canada
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by trog69 View Post

While I don't have any plans on purchasing these any time soon, I am curious about them, as I thoroughly enjoyed my two BFI Bullfrog PA loudspeakers, using a Project One 180w/ch stereo receiver to push them, and hair-metal playing through them. I've moved on from those days, and why I still have relatively good hearing after 50+ years of headbanging and construction work is beyond me.

Anyway, I was just wondering about the LF output of the B215XL. From what I've read here, it seems to have a lack of oomph, and so needs (demands?) a subwoofer to compensate. So in effect is the 15" woofer now relegated to low/mid-range output? If so, why not go with the 12" model for faster response? Wouldn't a smaller driver move faster, and so be less distorted in reproducing mid-LF?

Obviously we're all having to rely on only a few tests done with them so far, and I'm showing my ignorance by asking these questions, but I've been called worse than ignorant and somehow survived the ordeal, so I'm unafraid!

If you look at the pa speakers on parts express many of the 15"have more sensitivity so you can't really generalize. A larger speaker will move less for a given output and "should" have lower distortion.
pokeme is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Behringer B215xl Passive Speaker Pair , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Behringer , B 52 Lx 1515v3 1000w Dual 15 Pa Speaker , B 52 , Behringer Eurolive B212d Active 550 Watt 2 Way Pa Speaker System With 12 Inch Woofer And 1 35 Inch C
Gear in this thread - B212d by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off