Thoughts and advice on my planned Home Audio setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-01-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all. Let me start out by saying, I am a complete novice about a Home Audio setup. I would like a budget system mainly movie/tv watching (60%) and music (40%). My living room (14'Lx11'Wx8'H) opens up to dining room (combined the two is 28'Lx11'Wx8'H). There also is a partitioned room along side of the living room (11'Lx11'Wx8'H). Viewing distance from tv to main listening couch is about 10'. I am looking to buy a A/V receiver with Bluetooth(THIS IS A MUST) and WiFi, 5.1 speakers and sub-woofer. My budget for it all is roughly $1000-$1300. I live in a condo. The whole setup is surround by cement walls, except for where the tv is which has a full wall window. All audio will be facing away from window. I know this is a lot of information but I've learned from reading here that most don't post about the landscape before asking about equipment. Now on to my questions that need addressing.

I currently have a 46in Samsung smart tv (forget the model bought 2 years ago). I have been mostly shopping for products by reviews I've seen posted. So this is what I have come up with for my shopping list: Sony STR-DN840 and Pioneer SP-PK52FS or the Energy Take Classic. I know the Pioneer comes with a sub but I hear its not very good. I was looking to get the speakers separately and purchase another sub. I am open to sub-woofer suggestions. There have been quite a few I've read about. What I am looking for in a sub is something great for movies. Nothing to shake the house, but something that will highlight a movie's low ends needs. If I missed anything on room setup or equipment needs please let me know.

Thank you for any and all advice.

Pioneer SP-FS22 LR

Pioneer SP-C22   C

Pioneer SP-BS22 Surrounds

Sony STR-DN1040

SUBLESS still

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
First, budget carefully. I would guess 200-250 on an receiver, 300 on a sub and 5-600 on 5 speakers. A lot if beginners buy a pricey receiver and then crappy speakers! Get the cheapest receiver you can that has enough power and the features you would like !
Possible subs, the emp 10i, the bic pl200 or the Dayton.
Speakers? Cambridge audio s30s...good choice and currently about 200/pr. Infinity primus p163s would be another option. The pioneer AJ are often me anted in your price range.
There are many av-rec that are 5.1, have decent power and room correction software for around 200 dollars!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 20 Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. I am looking for a receiver I can still use for a 7.2 channel in the future and that won't get dated. Any suggestions?

Pioneer SP-FS22 LR

Pioneer SP-C22   C

Sony STR-DN1040

SUBLESS still

post #4 of 20 Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Yamaha 575 receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMRXV575BL/YAMAHA-RX-V575-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver-with-Airplay/1.html

Cambridge S30 speakers - 3 pair and use 1 each as a center
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Dark-Oak/1.html

If no vertical space - then the center
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS50OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S50-4-3-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Dark-Oak/1.html

Also, look at 5 each of the Wave Crest speakers HVL-1
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 subwoofer
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDAVI7BL/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-7-10-175-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Black/1.html

Or, MB Quart Alexxa 12 subwoofer
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-sw12pw?pp=24

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 20 Old 03-01-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 352
My primary piece of advice is what I wish I had when first starting out... be patient and build your setup over time as funds become available. The idea is that you don't need to go straight to a 5.1 or 7.1 setup and as a result, spread your initial budget too thin. Instead, spend it on a higher quality 2.1 system initially and build your system over time. In 12 to 18 months you'll end up with a superior and more satisfying surround sound setup.

If you're coming from nothing, a pair of quality bookshelf speakers and a sub will keep you happy for months until you've saved for the next speaker purchase. The idea is to pick a "family" of speakers you like and just purchase say the mid-sized bookshelf of the range to use as mains. Later, the matching centre channel speaker can be added. In the meantime, your AVR can be configured to redirect the centre channel signal to the mains and you get a "phantom" centre effect. The next move is the surround speakers. Here you have the option of getting larger bookshelves or floorstanding towers for the mains and re-purposing your bookshelves to surround duty, or alternately, simply buying matching surround speakers. Once you've got yourself to a 5.1 system, you would then consider adding a second identical sub to smooth out the bass response over a larger area and give each sub additional headroom.

If you're interested in pursuing the expandable 2.1 setup idea, here are some well regarded speaker "families" along with some value subs from internet direct manufacturers to get you started:

Speakers:

Subs:

If pressed for a favourite, I would pick a combo from Ascend Acoustics / Rythmik Audio. The CBM-170 SE's and Rythmik LV12R Servo Sub 2.1 system comes to about $950 shipped, leaving $350 for the AVR. Subsequent steps would entail moving towards CMT-340 SE's for L/C/R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticomon View Post

Thank you for your advice. I am looking for a receiver I can still use for a 7.2 channel in the future and that won't get dated. Any suggestions?

My best advice on AVR shopping is to get yourself as far up the Audyssey food chain as your budget will allow, as this IMO is the primary determinate in the sound quality of an AVR. The best way to achieve this is to go for a factory refurbished Denon. This Denon AVR-1913 is 7.1 channel, Audyssey MultEQ enabled and is on your total budget at $330 plus shipping. (A simple Y-cord is all that's required for this AVR to run "7.2". AVR's at this level claiming "7.2" do not have true independent sub pre-outs - they simply have an internal Y splitter to enable two sub pre-out jacks.)

The next available step up is to the Audyssey MultEQ XT enabled Denon AVR-X2000 at $420 plus shipping. However, this exceeds your stated total budget and is probably beyond the limit of what you should spend on a nicely balanced system.

Don't concern yourself too much with trying to buy an AVR that won't date... it's a futile exercise. Manufacturers want them to date to keep consumers on the upgrade merry-go-round by having them chase the latest "must have" feature. It's called "planned obsolescence".

Edit: Just noticed that Bluetooth is a MUST HAVE and WiFi is required, so scratch that above about the Denons.
Your best option is a factory refurbished Onkyo TX-NR626 is at $350 plus shipping. It runs Audyssey MultEQ and has built in Bluetooth and WiFi.

post #6 of 20 Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 PM

Liked: 15

^ +1 excellent advice from GIEGAR

GIEGAR likes this.

AVR Marantz  SR7008

Mains Paradigm  Monitor11 S7 

Center Paradigm Studio CC-590v5

Suround Polk RM2300

Sub Rythmik FV15HP

LED Samsung UN55F8000

post #7 of 20 Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 AM

Liked: 22
Great post giegar! You should pretty much cut and paste that into about 25% of the posts here in the speaker forum smile.gif

The advice to start slowly and get the best couple components and build up over time is really VERY good. I think many folks who have gotten into this hobby would readily agree. You'll save a lot of money in the long run by not compromising as much to try to get the 'full' setup right away.

For speakers I would suggest looking at 3 of the arx a2 for left/right/center, but all of those on giegar's list would do nicely depending on your tastes and budget.

Personally I would prioritize the speakers in following order of importance w/ fully agreeing with above comments on AVR.

L/R speaker
C speaker
Sub(s)
Surrounds
GIEGAR likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
+1 Starting with fewer, higher quality components and adding speakers over time.

A big caveat to remember - you'll want to avoid speaker lines that are end-of-life, on clearance sale, etc. so that the speakers you need later are still available. (All the speakers in giegar's post qualify.
GIEGAR likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Great information so far. I will definitely look into all suggestions. I agree alittle over time is a great way to go. I haven't heard any comments about the equipment I mentioned. The AJ pioneer speakers and sony 840. Are they not good? Which sub would be best to start off with with the space I have now? Thanks for all the help

Pioneer SP-FS22 LR

Pioneer SP-C22   C

Sony STR-DN1040

SUBLESS still

post #10 of 20 Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM

ticomon..any of the subs giegar listed you would probably very pleased with..

As for the AVR.. The better room correction the more $$ but your ears will love ya for it..

If I knew what I know now, I'd have Paradigm Studio 100's not Monitor 11's

AVR Marantz  SR7008

Suround Polk RM2300

Sub Rythmik FV15HP

LED Samsung UN55F8000

post #11 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

Great information so far. I will definitely look into all suggestions. I agree alittle over time is a great way to go. I haven't heard any comments about the equipment I mentioned. The AJ pioneer speakers and sony 840. Are they not good? Which sub would be best to start off with with the space I have now? Thanks for all the help
Sony has stepped their AVR game up and improved themselves lately.

The AJ Pioneer speakers (you can buy them without the subwoofer) and getting like a Bic F12 or PL-200 isn't a bad setup
post #12 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

The AJ pioneer speakers and sony 840. Are they not good? Which sub would be best to start off with with the space I have now? Thanks for all the help

The Pioneer speakers are nice, however for me - the Cambridge S30 is a clear step up, even over
the tower speakers - a nice subwoofer will fill in the lower octaves - I would still keep the Alexxa
12 subwoofer on a short list.

Also note - for a 11 x 11 room the Mordaunt Short sub >> will easily handle that room, and is not a
mushy/boom subwoofer.

As was stated, Sony has stepped up their receiver game.

However, your call - and if you do go with Pioneer, it will not be bad.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProUnion View Post

^ +1 excellent advice from GIEGAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan View Post

Great post giegar! You should pretty much cut and paste that into about 25% of the posts here in the speaker forum smile.gif

The advice to start slowly and get the best couple components and build up over time is really VERY good. I think many folks who have gotten into this hobby would readily agree. You'll save a lot of money in the long run by not compromising as much to try to get the 'full' setup right away.

For speakers I would suggest looking at 3 of the arx a2 for left/right/center, but all of those on giegar's list would do nicely depending on your tastes and budget.

Personally I would prioritize the speakers in following order of importance w/ fully agreeing with above comments on AVR.

L/R speaker
C speaker
Sub(s)
Surrounds

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the words of encouragement. smile.gif

@ProUnion, I see you're on the staged upgrade path to a Studio front end with that beaut CC-590. Very nice... I love monster centre speakers! Benchmark sub there too!

@SuperFan, yes I've already linked to that post once in another thread. smile.gif Please feel free to do so yourself, if you're inclined to.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

+1 Starting with fewer, higher quality components and adding speakers over time.

A big caveat to remember - you'll want to avoid speaker lines that are end-of-life, on clearance sale, etc. so that the speakers you need later are still available. (All the speakers in giegar's post qualify.

Thanks, very good point.

In that vein, I'd just note that there has been the odd unsubstantiated rumour in the PSB owners thread that PSB may be upgrading the Image line shortly. @ticomon, if the current Image's make your shortlist, the status of them would be worth checking up on and taking into consideration.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the words of encouragement. smile.gif

@ProUnion, I see you're on the staged upgrade path to a Studio front end with that beaut CC-590. Very nice... I love monster centre speakers! Benchmark sub there too!

@SuperFan, yes I've already linked to that post once in another thread. smile.gif Please feel free to do so yourself, if you're inclined to.

@GIEGAR I  installed my FV15HP on Fri.. I can't really put into words how great my system sounds after adding the sub...I'm in awe!!

AVR Marantz  SR7008

Suround Polk RM2300

Sub Rythmik FV15HP

LED Samsung UN55F8000

post #16 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 43
No such thing as a receiver that won't get dated. As suggested, just go for a more inexpensive one so when it becomes outdated you won't have a lot of money invested in it.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

No such thing as a receiver that won't get dated.
Or that won't get beat by something cheaper in two years. mad.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input so far. I've been looking at all the equipment mentioned so far. I've decided to change my plan of attack. I still need a receiver with Bluetooth. Now I was thinking of concentrating on 2 towers with a center channel and a good sub. And upgrade to the surround later. With that in mind, I am trying to find a cheaper receiver than the Sony 840 with Bluetooth. My budget is still pretty restricted though. I would be looking to spend about 1kish for the receiver, sub and front LR C speakers. I'd prefer towers over bookshelf's because I'd end up having to buy stands. It's a bit daunting trying to settle on choices when I can only go by a few recommendations. I can't find most of these speakers locally to go to listen to. Thanks again.

Pioneer SP-FS22 LR

Pioneer SP-C22   C

Sony STR-DN1040

SUBLESS still

post #19 of 20 Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

Thank you for the input so far. I've been looking at all the equipment mentioned so far. I've decided to change my plan of attack. I still need a receiver with Bluetooth. Now I was thinking of concentrating on 2 towers with a center channel and a good sub. And upgrade to the surround later. With that in mind, I am trying to find a cheaper receiver than the Sony 840 with Bluetooth. My budget is still pretty restricted though. I would be looking to spend about 1kish for the receiver, sub and front LR C speakers. I'd prefer towers over bookshelf's because I'd end up having to buy stands. It's a bit daunting trying to settle on choices when I can only go by a few recommendations. I can't find most of these speakers locally to go to listen to. Thanks again.
You are not likely to find a cheaper receiver than the Sony 840 with Bluetooth. Add wifi to it and that is a great upgrade. No other receiver at that price has that. So unless your modem is right next to your receiver you have to buy an additional adapter.

Bookshelf speakers and buying stands is still cheaper than buying towers

Here is what a brief search found the Harmond kardon AVR-1610 for $400 with bluetooth but havent seen it reviewed
post #20 of 20 Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 AM

In the same boat myself im looking to buy a good receiver I have about €500 to spend but can stretch that For the right manchine. Its to be part of a home cinema system I've installed a new screen and projector and now im updating the sound system so ill be getting new speakers as well. Im hearing good things about yamaha?. Is it worth having a machine with 2 hdmi outs, and should I wait around for hdmi2. Any help or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply Speakers

Tags
Sony Str Dn840 , Energy Take Classic 5 Pack 5 0 Home Theater Speaker Black , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30 , Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page