Best options for my budget? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm new to the home theater world. Not new to audio as I have experience in recording audio, but this is my first journey into the home theater aspect. I have a budget of $650 max. I need a receiver, LR fronts, and a sub. I have a pair of Sony MB100H speakers that my parents picked up almost 15 years ago which I plan to use as surrounds until I can afford new ones. 

Here are my issues. This isn't my home so the speakers need to be either very small, or floorstanding due to limited areas for placement. I looked at the CA Minx Min21's, and they are the perfect size, but I've read that they need a good sub, and I can't afford the ones that most recommend. I thought about the Dayton SUB-1200, but I'm not sure the crossover is high enough for the Min21's. 

I also just started looking into floorstanding speakers thinking they wouldn't need such a good sub. Any truth to that? 

Here is my room setup, and where I plan to place the speakers. What are your thoughts on this setup? My 50" TV is the red bar, the LR fronts are the green dots, the blue dots are the surrounds, and the yellow will be the sub. My family mostly watches from the couch facing the TV. Any other suggestions for me? Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Well this isn't a very ideal setup, is there a reason why the TV can't go in the entertainment center at the bottom?

I would probably hold off on the surrounds, and just go with a 2.1 setup for now. Some good towers to look at would be the Cambridge Audio S70 These are very popular and currently at closeout prices.

The Denon AVR-E300 is a good entry level choice, it comes with networking and Audssey room correction.

With the last bit of your budget, I would grab a BIC F-12 sub woofer. One of the best options at it's price point and performs well for HT. An alternative to towers is bookshelves and stands. Because you will have a sub, the lower extension of those towers becomes redundant and the overall sound between towers+sub and bookshelves+sub is very similar. You could save some money this way and maybe upgrade the sub to the NXG BAS 500 instead.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Your TV is in the wrong spot. Move it to ontop of the entertainment system. then front speakers on either side of entertainment system.

Your room is HUGE so I would suggest against small satelite speakers.

For Speakers I suggest
-Fronts Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers, $130
-Center Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker, $97
-Subwoofer Dayton Audio SUB-1200, $109

Rest of your budget on a Receiver.
-Factory Refurbished DENON AVR-1613, $230
post #4 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I cannot move the tv. The entertainment center doesn't have a large enough tv opening for a 50", and it's too tall to place the tv on top of (it's almost to the ceiling).

Thanks for the speaker suggestions. I had a feeling my room might be too big for the small speakers. I think I'd prefer to go with floor standing speakers as I'd have to buy stands otherwise. Either way they're going to look a little out of place. Anyone know of aesthetically pleasing affordable stands?

I was looking at the Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52's. Would the Cambridge Audio S70's be a better option?

As for the receiver, I should've mentioned that I need two optical inputs. One for the TV, and the other for my Xbox 360. Also if there aren't any component connections on the receiver would there be delay in audio from running the audio into the receiver and the video straight into the TV? I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V375. Is that at all comparable to those Denons?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post

Unfortunately I cannot move the tv. The entertainment center doesn't have a large enough tv opening for a 50", and it's too tall to place the tv on top of (it's almost to the ceiling).

Thanks for the speaker suggestions. I had a feeling my room might be too big for the small speakers. I think I'd prefer to go with floor standing speakers as I'd have to buy stands otherwise. Either way they're going to look a little out of place. Anyone know of aesthetically pleasing affordable stands?

I was looking at the Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52's. Would the Cambridge Audio S70's be a better option?

As for the receiver, I should've mentioned that I need two optical inputs. One for the TV, and the other for my Xbox 360. Also if there aren't any component connections on the receiver would there be delay in audio from running the audio into the receiver and the video straight into the TV? I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V375. Is that at all comparable to those Denons?

Yes the S70 is better than the FS52, in my opinion. Why not just connect the 360 to the receiver via HDMI, and then run one cable to the TV. HDMI carries audio and video and there is no delay, this is how it is intended to work.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to do it that way but my xbox is one of the first ones and does not have HDMI. Do you think I'll run into issues running it the way I'd planned? I will mostly be using this for movies so if one of those receivers is vastly better, or if I'll run into issues with delay I'll just continue to use the headset that I have for my xbox.

I'd be interested in other opinions on the S70's vs. FS52's, or even something else entirely. I plan to have this system for a while so I want to be happy with my purchase.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What all do you have hooked up to your TV? Just the Xbox 360? Doesn't the Xbox 360 have HDMI just hook that up to your receiver. You want to hook everything up to the receiver and have the video routed through the receiver to the TV

The Denon is a far more capable receiver and better than the Yamaha.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the Xbox, and my computer which I play blu rays from (via HDMI), but my xbox doesn't have HDMI. It's component only. Would it be possible to use a optical splitter?

Also out of interest if learning. What makes the Denon a much better receiver?
post #9 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the Xbox, and my computer which I play blu rays from (via HDMI), but my xbox doesn't have HDMI. It's component only. Would it be possible to use a optical splitter?

Also out of interest if learning. What makes the Denon a much better receiver?
Yes you can use an optical splitter if you like.

Denon uses better internals and offers more power than the Yamaha by a long shot. It also has better room speaker calibration software with Audyssey MultiEQ
post #10 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

On the A4L site they say the AVR-300 is the replacement for the 1613. They look very similar. Is there an advantage to one over the other?
post #11 of 13 Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On the A4L site they say the AVR-300 is the replacement for the 1613. They look very similar. Is there an advantage to one over the other?

I would go with the E300, it was cheaper the last time I checked and is a newer model.

post #12 of 13 Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I suggest going with the Denon AVR-1713, which is available at Amazon's warehouse for a little more, or the AVR-X1000 for even less than the 1713. This room would benefit more from the Audyssey MultEQ XT which both the 1713 and X1000 has but the E300 and 1613 do not.

PS- If you can afford spending more get the X1000 new for the 3 year warranty and check out the thread in the Receivers forum (highly detailed). wink.gif

post #13 of 13 Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to go with the E300. The 1713 and X1000 are quite a bit out of my budget right now. I'm stretching my budget as it is. I was hoping to get by under the $650, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm thinking of going with the S70's. They are smaller than the FS52's which will look better in my room I think. I just wish shipping wasn't so ridiculous on them, and that they were black. It's going to cost me almost $60 to ship them. Are they worth the extra cost of shipping in sound quality over the FS52's?

I thought of another potential problem. My viewing distance is about 13-14 feet. Where I plan to place the towers will only give me about 6-7 feet of separation between them. Will there be a big problem there?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page