My current system (pictures)
Fronts: 2xPolk RTI A9
Center: Polk CSI A6
Surrounds: 4xPolk RTI A5
Subs: 3x Rythmik Audio FV15HP
Receiver: Denon 4311ci
Amps: Emotiva XPA2 + XPA 5
Room: 12x20x8

I have been fairly happy with my polk system but I was thinking about upgrading my speakers next.. I was considering the Paradigm Studio 100 / 690 and I was wondering if this is going to be a significant upgrade from the polks. I bought my Polk speakers fairly cheap at about $2K for all 7 and I found the Paradigms to be significantly more expensive so I am curious if the difference in sound will be worth the price difference between the two. Specs wise, the polks seem to be better hence my concern.

Aside from the Paradigms, what other speakers would be good for around $6K for all 7?
I watch 95% movies and 5% music.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-05-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 150
For that kind of money, I would consider the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower for the left & right, with the Horizon center channel, then what ever surrounds you want. Those would be a significant upgrade from even the Studio 100's for less money to boot!

You could also look into the Salk Songtower's, or, possibly even building your own DIY speakers. I have spent lots of time with the Studio 100's & CC690, and I am here to tell you that the Sierra Tower & Horizon combo is unbeatable, and sound so much better than the Studio 100 & CC690. Hope this helps!
post #3 of 3 Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Since this is a dedicated theater, I would be looking at high efficiency theater speakers. You already have three excellent subs, so having towers is a waste because with a crossover their low extension is irrelevant. If you want to upgrade and get that dynamic, movie theater sound, then you need to look at brands like JTR, Pi, JBL, and Seaton.

I would recommend three JTR Noesis 228HT speakers for the front. These are very popular, have incredible dynamics, and will be a huge upgrade over your Polks. For surrounds, you don't need towersl I would grab four JBL 8320, these are THX certified and made to hang on the wall. You can put them in a more ideal location than your current surrounds, and they will offer the same great dynamic sound as the JTRs.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Polk Audio Csi A6 Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti A5 Floorstanding Speaker Single Black , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page