Martin Logan ESL vs Motion 40 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am interested in doing an upgrade to my sound system. I basically want to go with something better. I currently have:

Onkyo NR-1008
CF-50 towers
CC-10 center
CB-10 surrounds
Rythmic LV12R

This deal HERE has basically caught my eye and I REALLY WANT TO SWITCH! My question to you is... from what my current set up is and where it will be set up (pic of my current set up). Would you upgrade to either?

The package includes:
2x Martin Logan ESL's
1x Martin Logan Motion 8 center
2x Martin Logan Motion 2 Bookshelves

BUT!!! They also have this deal for the Motion 40s, which I am also very interested in... since it's $300 less.

The package includes:
2x Martin Logan Motion 40s
1x Martin Logan Motion 8 center
2x Martin Logan Motion 2 Bookshelves

I'm guessing my room isn't really set up ideally for any sound set up right now. But going to those ML's seems like such a nice upgrade! Plus I would look into selling my current set up. What do you guys think? Which would give me the biggest bang for my buck and also be better sounding? Those ESLs are so freaking sexy and that alone makes me want to go with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 561
I've listened to both the ESL and 40s. They sounded remarkably similar. The 40s had more bass but since you're running a sub it won't make that much difference.

The other speakers in the kits match the 40s better than the ESL. Plus the 40s would be easier to place. Less finicky about placement.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That is one of my fears with the overall package though. That I won't be happy with the center and surrounds. They see to be inferior to both my current Energy speakers.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-08-2014, 12:54 AM

Liked: 11

The Motion 40s fight way above their weight class and can be used pretty close to the front wall (mine are a little over a foot away and the bass is outstanding--tight and deep). The tweeter is pretty special too, it pretty much has to be, since it has to be able to keep up with ESL panels when used in the center channel speaker. My Motion 40s have passed along the benefits of every upgrade and tweak I have thrown their way. Really hard to beat for the money....

Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr1008 , Energy Cf 50 Floorstanding Tower Speaker Black , Energy Cc 10 Center Channel Speaker Black , Energy Cb 10 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Martin Logan Electromotion Esl Hybrid Electrostatic Each Gloss Black , Martinlogan Motion 8 Center Channel Speaker Piano Black Each , Martinlogan Motion 2 Bookshelf Speaker Piano Black Each , Martinlogan Motion 40 Gloss Black Cherrywood Floorstanding Loudspeaker
Gear in this thread - Nr1008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page