front main speakers configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I have older B&W DM604 speakers in a 5.1 surround system. My avr is a Denon AVR3600dts that has no base management or crossover settings in its speaker configuration menu. The manual says for front speakers select large if they can fully reproduce low sounds of below 80 Hz. Choose small with speakers that cannot reproduce low sounds of below 80 Hz. with sufficient volume. When the small setting is selected, low frequencies of below 80 Hz. are assigned to the subwoofer. So, I'm assuming when large is selected all frequencies are sent to the subwoofer which then reproduces the low frequencies within its range or however you have set the low pass filter. I believe this is how it works when playing 2 channel stereo on the system with Denons' 5 channel stereo mode in.. Much of the time I listen to cds on my system in that mode..The DM604's frequency response is 44-20k Hz. plus minus 3 dB. When I set the front speakers to  small they have a slightly " thinner " sound. Most audio sites say speakers should be set to small in a 5.1, 7.1, or 9.1 setting but they don't address a setting when using 2 channel stereo in a surround system. They say set all speakers to small and let the subwoofer handle the low frequencies even if you have main speakers that can reproduce as low as 20 Hz. What setting do you think is best for my DM604's ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Set them to small, the turn up your subwoofer for more bass if you think it sounds thin.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for your input primetimeguy. I will try that and I believe my main speakers will operate more efficiently with the bass load taken off its hands.

primetimeguy likes this.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, and your receiver will have more headroom as well.

I think few receivers have flexible crossover settings, unfortunately.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bowers Wilkins Dm604 S2 , Harman Kardon Avr 3600 80 Watt X 7 1 Channel High Performance Home Theater Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Dm604 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page