Klipsch Reference Series Home Theatre Setups - RF-52 vs other systems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54

I am looking to setup a home theatre audio system.  I want it to be able to work well with movies, but I will also listen to music with it.  I listen to a wide variety of music..everythign from techno/trance with strong beats to rock and classical...  I'd want a sound system that can play any type of music.  as far as the breakdown of music to movies.. id probably be split pretty even... Maybe 60/40 or 50/50.  there will be lots of times i'll just use it for music .... but it will be used for home movies too.  i want to "feel" the explosions!!  so a good sub is a must.  i will probably get a setup that lets me do the sub wirelessly so I can position it anywhere in the room that is best.

my room has a decent sized media niche cutout. I have a 58" plasma tv there enow that I am going to mount on the wall. right now it is on a nice TV stand.. 

My television is located in a great room... one large room that houses the family room in one corner, a dining room in the other, and a large kitchen is attached.  the overall dimensions are maybe 25' x 20'.  9' ceilings.

I was looking at the Klipsch home theatre systems and saw the RF line.  I have the Klipsch pro media system and love it.  their customer service has been wonderful..when my existing system had an issue they sent me a brand new system even though I was WAY out of warranty...  I also have an OLD SW-8 subwoofer that must be 20 years old and still works great.. it's too small for my great room...but it has been a trusted sub for many years...  so I want am partial to their stuff...

I have read reviews online and see that the RF-52 setup looks to be not the bottom of the line system, but one step up. there is also a RF-62 and RF-82.  the prices gradually get more and more expensive.  there is a cheaper RF-42 system as well...

I was curious what the consensus is regarding these systems..and whether one is considered the best "bang for the buck" and if any of them would be just right or "overkill" for my needs.

I still have to get a receiver.

I don't plan to boom music or try to wake up the neighbors..but I would love to have a quality sound system to listen to misuc and really "feel" it .. :)  it's been long time since i had nice speakers... 

I have also noticed some Klispch sy stems being sold that utilize the RF floor speakers/center/surroudn but a generic subwoofer.. i wasn't sure if that was a good idea or if staying with all Klispche was a necessity.. 

I'd like to spend around $2000 at most for the system... i'd happily spend less if someone said the RS-42 would be plenty for my needs..but I'd can't go crazy and spend $3000-4000 for speakers...  even spending $2000 is going to be a lot.

another option is to just get a sub and a killer set of floor speakers / center and then add the rear surrounds later.. i assume I can buy all these speakers in pieces and build my own setup...

any advice is greatly appreciated.  thanks.

i also have seen some decent klipsch stuff on craigslist..not sure if used speakers ar ea great way to save money or a way to buy something blown out / broken and get scrweed....  let me know.

thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Buy new and buy from avs. Save yourself headaches of overpaying for used stuff.
Rf series is fairly popular here.

If. You are not looking for anything ridiculous ,then a klipsch sub will suffice. Mine is pretty stout but I did want bigger and better and upgraded. After about 7 yrs of use

post #3 of 14 Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Given HSU's current sale you would be silly not to seriously think about the Hybrid 3 5.1 set-up from them It will mop the floor bass wise with any Klipsch subwoofer you could get with your budget given that is has the HSU VTF-3 Mk4. And the HSU HB-1's are great speakers in their own right. It would run you $1,518 shipped. This set-up is currently a great bang for you buck.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 920
There are lots of great speakers at that price. But stay away from Klipsch subs. You can do better for what they cost.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 480
You could also save a few $$ by going with RB61s for the 4 "corners". Put as much money into the sub or subs as you can. SVS, PSA, HSU, Rythmik are all great choices.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 14 Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Given HSU's current sale you would be silly not to seriously think about the Hybrid 3 5.1 set-up from them It will mop the floor bass wise with any Klipsch subwoofer you could get with your budget given that is has the HSU VTF-3 Mk4. And the HSU HB-1's are great speakers in their own right. It would run you $1,518 shipped. This set-up is currently a great bang for you buck.

+1 I think this would be a great way to get going, and still leaves you plenty to get a nice receiver. I would recommend the Denon AVR-X2000 from www.accessories4less.com.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #7 of 14 Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

what if I started with just two floor standing speakers, a center, and the sub... then add my rear surrounds later.

one issue I have with rear surrounds is that the way my house is laid out.. it would be difficult to use large rear speakers.  my great room has the tv on one wall and my couch is in the middle of the room.  to the rear of the couch is my dining area.  I would have to put the rear speakers on stands to elevate them and have them to the rear of the couch..or put them in the far far rear corners of the room..which is an option.. another option is to use ceiling mounted or IN the ceiling speakers.. not sure if those options are good or bad.

iv'e seen people do their entire systems with those circular up in the ceiling speakers..and while I get how that looks minimalistic and clean.. i an't imagine you can get great sound out of little tiny speakers like that...

my gut tells me that a set of bad ass floor speaker up front.. a good center, a great sub..and then decadent rear speakers would make a nice system.

i am not an audiophile..but i appreciate good music and a thumping bass/sub...  i don't mind building it in phases...  heck, i still need the receiver too...  

i do currently have a n old klipsch SW-8 sub that I have taking input from my Tv... it sounds ok..but the bass is not loud/deep enough.. when I was younger and lived at my parents house.. like 20  years ago. i used this in my bedroom.. it was fine for a small college guy bedroom..but for a large home theater it's not enough.  i do have to admit..for a speaker that is basically 20 years old. it still works like it did when it was new.. very sturdy speaker!!  ;)

thanks for all the input!

if I was deciding between the Klipsch RF-42, RF-52, RF-62 and RF-82.. is one of those the better "bang for the bu ck".. and for someone with my needs and sized room.. is the 62 or 82 just overkill?  i suspect that they would all sound good to me.. but either rthe 52 or 62 would be more than adequate... but you all who are "into" this stuff could tell me if one is the "best bang for the buck" of the lineup.

thanks.

post #8 of 14 Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lots of people start with 3.1 and add surrounds as the budget permits.
82s would be overkill and unnecessary if you have a good sub.

post #9 of 14 Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Bond007!

what about if I"m comparing the 52s vs the 62s.  for my needs, my room size, assuming I get a good sub... would the 52 be good enough?  it is only about $300 / pair difference to get the 62s...BUT... that $300 would ALMOST entirely pay for a RC-52 center speaker...  

I could get the RF-52 floor speakers, the RC-52 center - and be out the door for about $1000.  I buy my receiver, a good sub, and when I feel the need, add the rear surrounds.

but if the sound qualify from the 62s is substantially better than the 52s.. it would be wise to just spend the extra few hundred .. as I plan to have these speakers a long time...  when you figure that these are a long term investment.. the small price jump is not a big deal.  

the RF-42s look like a great bargain but I"m guessing that they are noticeably weaker when you start comparing to the RF-52 and RF-62.

post #10 of 14 Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thats a fairly good size room. I would get the RF62 and RC52.
You will need 2 subs at some point. You should consider that when choosing one.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-08-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Where do you plan on buying these speakers?

post #12 of 14 Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

here is a question related to my original post..but exploring the used speaker option..

to compare what I'd pay for a new set of RF-52 or RF-62 speakers..and then looking at the local CL ads... I saw a few people selling pairs of RF-3s and KFX 10.5s.  The RF-3 looks like an older version of the RF-7.

the KFX 10.5 looks similar to the RF line but it is obviously older, perhaps more on par with the synergy line?  i found a guy near me selling a set of KFX 10.5 and the matching center chanel for $250.  the people selling the RF-3s want around 275-400.. the price varies among the ads..i'm guessing about 300/pair is what they are selling for on average.

so here is the question - buying a used set of RF-3s for $300/pair.. vs buying new RF-62 for $1000/pair...  would my ears tell the difference?  

is buying used speakers going to be a nightmare...  many of you will have been there / done that.. is it a bad idea?  I have never bought used speakers but i can imagine that you could ge lucky or you could buy junk.. assuming the person selling has them hooked up and I can listen.. wouldn't i be able to hear if they were blown or broken?    if the price difference was a couple hundred..even a few hundred..i'd gladly buy new and have peace of mind.. but if an older / good condition set of RF-3s would do the job and be a fraction of the cost.. it would get my foot in the door of the HT world..

remember, right now i have NO speaker.s I have an OLD SW-8 sub hooked up to my TV. no receiver, no speakers. i use the crummy speakers built into my Panasonic 58" plasma with my sub.. it is really crummy.  i have a pro media 2.1 klipsch computer speaker system and THAT is the best speaker system in my house..  sad I know.  :)

If I wer to grab a pair of used speakers.. I could quickly add speakers and then the receiver... hook up my existing sub and see how i like it.  

unless buying used speakers is a bad idea.. it might be a nice way tho get quality speakers for a much lower cost... any thoughts?

what are your thoughts on the KFX 10.5s or the RF-3s??

thanks.

if I buy speakers NEW i'l order online form out of state.. i live in CA and i can still get from places like B&H or other online retailes and pay NO shipping and NO CA sales tax.. on large items it is a smart way to buy to avoid the tax man... ;)

post #13 of 14 Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is a "Klipsch Owners" thread in the "Speakers" forum. Your best bet would probably be to post that there.

post #14 of 14 Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 52 , Klipsch Reference Series Rf62 Dual 6 5 Inch , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82