Klipsch C-20 vs Icon KC-25? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I've been looking around but haven't seen a direct comparison anywhere. I have a pair of the F-20's I picked up on newegg (love them so far). Running off a Yamaha VX-471. Obviously the C-20 is the match for this series, but is it any different from the Icon KC-25 they sell at best buy? As far as I can tell the only difference is in the efficiency. The Icon is a little higher at 98 db. Main reason I am curious is the KC is on sale at BB for 150. Also it looks much better than the C-20(I don't know what Klipsch was going for with this curved bubble bs). Normally I would be weary to buy anyhting originating at BB, but I don't see a big difference between these two speakers and have heard some complaints about the C-20. Anyone have experience with the two? Will there be much of a difference in sound?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromb05 View Post

I've been looking around but haven't seen a direct comparison anywhere. I have a pair of the F-20's I picked up on newegg (love them so far). Running off a Yamaha VX-471. Obviously the C-20 is the match for this series, but is it any different from the Icon KC-25 they sell at best buy? As far as I can tell the only difference is in the efficiency. The Icon is a little higher at 98 db. Main reason I am curious is the KC is on sale at BB for 150. Also it looks much better than the C-20(I don't know what Klipsch was going for with this curved bubble bs). Normally I would be weary to buy anyhting originating at BB, but I don't see a big difference between these two speakers and have heard some complaints about the C-20. Anyone have experience with the two? Will there be much of a difference in sound?

I've heard the c-20, but not the kc-25. Best buy exclusive icon series is usually a little cheaper than the normal synergy series however I would definitely go with the wood cabinet or mdf over the plastic bubble anyday. I would expect it to sound much better.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3, RP-3, RC-3, RS-3
Bang & Olufsen Beogram TX
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360, XBOX-ONE, PS3(60GB)
post #3 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTheKid View Post

I've heard the c-20, but not the kc-25. Best buy exclusive icon series is usually a little cheaper than the normal synergy series however I would definitely go with the wood cabinet or mdf over the plastic bubble anyday. I would expect it to sound much better.

Right. Not sure, but I think the structure might still be MDF inside. Either way, the main thing I am woried about if I were to go with the KC-25 is, would it still be timbre matched with the F-20s?

post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Why dont you buy the kc-25 and take it back if not a timbre match. Best Buy has a 15 or 30 day return policy so you have nothing to lose.

Afro GT
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Why dont you buy the kc-25 and take it back if not a timbre match. Best Buy has a 15 or 30 day return policy so you have nothing to lose.

The only sonic difference I can see is where the crossover is and the tweeter horns are slightly different. I would think timbre would be same, but the crossover difference is interesting. On the kc-25 it's at 1800hz and on the c-20 it's 2150hz

Anyone have a more knowledgeable outlook?

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3, RP-3, RC-3, RS-3
Bang & Olufsen Beogram TX
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360, XBOX-ONE, PS3(60GB)
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTheKid View Post

The only sonic difference I can see is where the crossover is and the tweeter horns are slightly different. I would think timbre would be same, but the crossover difference is interesting. On the kc-25 it's at 1800hz and on the c-20 it's 2150hz

Anyone have a more knowledgeable outlook?

Nice catch, I didn't see that before. I would be curious to know if that would make a noticeable difference.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Thats a good point. I guess since its Best Buy I assumed their return policy was pretty strict

post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Best Buy Return and Exchange
Original Receipt

The original receipt, gift receipt or packing slip is required for all returns and exchanges. If returning or exchanging an item in a Best Buy store, a valid photo ID is also required.
Return & Exchange Period

15 days for all eligible products
30 days for eligible products for My Best Buy™ Elite members
45 days for eligible products for My Best Buy™ Elite Plus members

Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return or exchange.
stromb05 likes this.

Afro GT
post #9 of 10 Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 PM

Liked: 13
I am in this boat right now as well. Can pick up the KC at best buy when ever but have to order the C-20 which costs more. I like the look better for the KC as well but have the synergy f3's. So if any one knows that the kc and c-20 match it would be very helpful. Went and listened to it today. How can you actually tell if it's timbre matched, is there a good test really?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks View Post

I am in this boat right now as well. Can pick up the KC at best buy when ever but have to order the C-20 which costs more. I like the look better for the KC as well but have the synergy f3's. So if any one knows that the kc and c-20 match it would be very helpful. Went and listened to it today. How can you actually tell if it's timbre matched, is there a good test really?

The only way to tell, really, is to listen to it with your speakers. Could try doing what afrogt suggested. Buy it and if it doesn't match, take it back. I actually found the older model, The synergy C-2 on ebay for around 110 shipped so I'm going to give that a try. Exactly the same as the C-20, just a few years older so it should match great. I figured for that price it was worth a try.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Synergy C 20 Premium Dual 5 25 Inch Center Channel Speaker , Klipsch Kc 25 Icon 5 1 4 Inch Center Speaker Black Ash , Yamaha Rx V471bl 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread