upgrading Rockets 750s - Sonus Faber Olympica III or B&W 803D or ....? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-08-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've enjoyed my rockets setup over the last ten years or so-really much so but am ready for next step up.
I listen to 50% HT and 50% music, drive the speakers with Emotiva UPA5(for now anyway)- room is 25ft W by 20ft L.Listen to rock music exclusively,which extends from Death Cab for Cutie to Pantera.
I'm really accustomed to the 750s warmer type of sound,and beind crossed over at 80hZ does not lack on the low end

Tried both the 803D and Olympica III this morning and can't really make a decision at this point-both have pros/cons

803d
Detailed highs,good bass extension but I thought "relatively" low detailed mid-range
Lower price point-$10k new-aesthetically pleasing

The OlympicaIII
narrower cabinet,extremely well built- an Italian mode in sort
Mid range is much fuller,very nice and tight low end, and I felt the soundstage was broader,instruments layering slighty more detailed
higher price point at $12k

Anything else I should audition and if I stick with these two,any feedback on best prices available?

Thanks in advance

BluRay HTPC / BenQ W6000 / Integra 9.9/Emotiva XPA-5 / Sonus Faber Olympica III / RSC200 center/ SVS PB12+

What else do I need?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hi,

Both great brands. I have not heard the Olympica yet- I will auditioning these soon as part of a list I am building. Beautiful speaker from pics.

The Diamonds? I really like the sound. I have the smaller Diamond center and CM5s. I at times feel the same about the mids. I seem to focus on it at times. I will either be sticking with it and replacing the CM5s with 804ds next month or going a different direction. Not sure yet.

Are you in Bay Area ? I ask as Bowers and Sonus are the primary brands at our stand alone Magnolia stores here on the west coast.

If you are in the Bay Area, I suggest a trip to San Francisco to Audio Vision.

You can audition KEF Reference, Dali Epicon ( have not heard these yet-on list) and Dynaudio Confidence as well as others in one shot. A speaker candy store.

http://www.audiovisionsf.com/?page=loudspeakers

I really really miss the Confidence I sold off last year. The more I hear others, and there are many great speakers out there, the more I miss them. I would even consider the Focus line but the center is hugely important to me in my decision. Still checking it all out.

I strongly encourage you to audition Dynaudio before a decision is made. And I would not be afraid of the C1 monitor. It's incredible. KEF is also great, and Dali. I have not heard Dali's latest flagship but looks like another good one I have on my list for next month.

Rick

post #3 of 22 Old 03-09-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Rick- good suggestions,heard about most of these models/brands.
Only limitation is being in Houston,not that many available around-would love to try the Dalis and Kef Ref.
In fact,the B&W and Sonus Faber I listened to at our local Magnolia store here-that's pretty much the top of line they had( did get to listen to the 802D as well,since it was on the edge of my price range)
BTW- I was offered a 10% discount on the Sonus pretty much right after I left,which makes the choice harder...

Cheers

BluRay HTPC / BenQ W6000 / Integra 9.9/Emotiva XPA-5 / Sonus Faber Olympica III / RSC200 center/ SVS PB12+

What else do I need?

post #4 of 22 Old 03-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
OP, I've heard all of these speakers and the two in question extensively. Strictly between these two models, I'd pick the Olympica IIIs. It's not an easy choice though. Both tremendous speakers, but to my ears the Olympicas are better balanced. The 803 Diamonds sound a bit too lean. Is this your max budget? Most people that can spend $10K on a pair of loudspeakers usually don't have a problem going to $15K and so on. If I had to rank speakers under $20K it would be as follows:

B&W 800 Diamond
B&W 802 Diamond
Dynaudio Confidence C4 Platinum
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum
Sonus Faber Olympica III
Sonus Faber Olympica II
T+A Criterion TCD 110 S
B&W 803 Diamond
B&W 804 Diamond
post #5 of 22 Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 61
having heard the 800s, C2 and T+As, I put the 800 last on my list of those 3. so to the OP, opinions will vary.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #6 of 22 Old 03-10-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Have you considered the Salk Sound Soundscape-8 or SoundScape-12? I would bet my house that either of those would smash the 803D, and although I have not heard the other speaker you mentioned, I would assume it as well. I have also personally heard the 800D, and while I think it sounded absolutely amazing, I still think the SoundScape-8 or the SoundScape-12 would best it.

I would highly encourage you to at least do a little research on Salk Sound, and, at the very least, give some serious thought and research to the SoundScapes!
post #7 of 22 Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Salk has been a mystery to me- will look into it!
Thanks

What else do I need?

post #8 of 22 Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Actually,I checked out the Salk and I have to say that I just can't imagine falling in love(aesthetically) with the speakers.
no WAF whatsoever on the SC8 and 10,and not fan either.
They appear to be great sounding speakers-it's just that I know I won't be able to fully enjoy them if my speakers are an eyesore smile.gif

Gotta have some sexiness to it

What else do I need?

post #9 of 22 Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
What about the Salk Songtower or Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower?

That said, I'm very familiar with the RS750...and if that warm sound is what you are after, I'm not sure anything listed so far will get you that. Did you think the 803D or Olympica III sounded warm?

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #10 of 22 Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

What about the Salk Songtower or Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower?

That said, I'm very familiar with the RS750...and if that warm sound is what you are after, I'm not sure anything listed so far will get you that. Did you think the 803D or Olympica III sounded warm?

I like your recommendation-I just have no option to listen to them here in Houston-but I'll try to seek the forums.

I'm actually moving away from the 750 as warm is nice to hide system shortcomings(my case a few years ago),but is an obvious tradeoff with crisp,detailed speakers like the 803D across the frequency spectrum.
That's now what I'm after biggrin.gif

What else do I need?

post #11 of 22 Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Listen to as many as you can. Try KEF Reference, Revel Ultima, RBH Signature Reference, etc.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmetabaron View Post

Actually,I checked out the Salk and I have to say that I just can't imagine falling in love(aesthetically) with the speakers.
no WAF whatsoever on the SC8 and 10,and not fan either.
They appear to be great sounding speakers-it's just that I know I won't be able to fully enjoy them if my speakers are an eyesore smile.gif

Gotta have some sexiness to it

LOL - yeah those particular Salks are some butt ugly speakers. I once heard some HT3's though a few years back, not quite as ugly as the soundscapes but still pretty bad. They sounded realy nice though, very flat response, detailed, smooth (as in non-fatiguing smooth not rolled off highs smooth).

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #13 of 22 Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
give a listen to the Aerial 7Ts as well. Not sure if you will like them as much as the Olympicas, but an overall excellent speaker for the price ($9850 I believe), and a good looking speaker as well (although nothing compares to the Olympicas in that category - they really are gorgeous).
post #14 of 22 Old 04-07-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

give a listen to the Aerial 7Ts as well. Not sure if you will like them as much as the Olympicas, but an overall excellent speaker for the price ($9850 I believe), and a good looking speaker as well (although nothing compares to the Olympicas in that category - they really are gorgeous).
Thanks-never had a chance to hear these Aerials...
I did order the Olympicas III in graphite,they should be here this week smile.gif

thanks all for the suggestions-gotta to say I had a deal I could not refuse on the Sonus and was willing to no listen to some of these above mentioned speakers to catch that deal!

What else do I need?

post #15 of 22 Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Please put up some pictures of the IIIs when you get them. Pictures of them in graphite are hard to come by and that is the color I'm leaning towards too.

I'm extremely jealous.
txmetabaron likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Influence- really looking forward to these and have yet to see them in graphite....
Will post some good snapshots to help you decide!

What else do I need?

post #17 of 22 Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Nice choice. I thought these sounded outstanding when I heard them. Out of my budget though lol
txmetabaron likes this.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-12-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

The speakers arrived- these are not great shots and I will get a proper SLR shot soon but meanwhile,that is what they look like!
tdogroeder and Deckard97 like this.

What else do I need?

post #19 of 22 Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 AM

Very nice! Can't wait for some clearer shots.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Awesome! like I always say- speakers are where the $$ should be spent! Good stuff!smile.gif
post #21 of 22 Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

As promised!
Some show good grain texture and realistic color;ignore the yellowish hue due to our wall color.

Let me know if you'd like to see anything else smile.gif

DSC_0633.JPG 2171k .JPG file

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0633.JPG (2.12 MB, 6 views)

What else do I need?

post #22 of 22 Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmetabaron View Post..... I won't be able to fully enjoy them if my speakers are an eyesore smile.gif  Gotta have some sexiness to it

I could not agree more Sonus Faber are the most sexy speakers :)

I have both B&W and Sonus Faber for two different application

- Sonus Faber for stereo music only

- B&W for movies and MC SACD music symphonies

My humble Cinema
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emotiva Upa 500 Five Channel Power Amplifier , Vivitek D803w 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - D803w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page