AVS Forum banner
4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  LastButNotLeast 
#1 ·
So Frys has the JBL towers for $144 each. I can get the Pioneer FS52 towers from a guy who bought them brand new, but no longer needs them. He's selling for $175. My surrounds are already purchased so it's down to these two sets due to the sales, but I still have to account for the center.

With the JBL ES80 towers it looks like the matching center is the JBL Loft20 for $129 from Frys as well, although I'm not sure if this is what goes best with these towers to be honest.

I know I can get the SP-C22 center anywhere from $59-69 when on sale as well.

So, JBL setup: $417

Pioneer setup: $244

I can't listen to the JBL so it would be just going off other's opinions and thoughts. I know the Pioneers are great, but wondering if paying the extra cost is worth it. I should also mention I'm running the Bic F12 subwoofer.

I'm not sure how long the guy will hold the Pioneers for me, so I need to act somewhat quick (He's out of town, but is back on Tuesday). Help people! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1521630/quick-help-folks-jbl-es80-vs-pioneer-fs52#post_24457214

So Frys has the JBL towers for $144 each. I can get the Pioneer FS52 towers from a guy who bought them brand new, but no longer needs them. He's selling for $175. My surrounds are already purchased so it's down to these two sets due to the sales, but I still have to account for the center.

With the JBL ES80 towers it looks like the matching center is the JBL Loft20 for $129 from Frys as well, although I'm not sure if this is what goes best with these towers to be honest.

I know I can get the SP-C22 center anywhere from $59-69 when on sale as well.

So, JBL setup: $417

Pioneer setup: $244

I can't listen to the JBL so it would be just going off other's opinions and thoughts. I know the Pioneers are great, but wondering if paying the extra cost is worth it. I should also mention I'm running the Bic F12 subwoofer.

I'm not sure how long the guy will hold the Pioneers for me, so I need to act somewhat quick (He's out of town, but is back on Tuesday). Help people! Thanks!
I've heard good things about the sound quality of the new AJ designed Pioneers. They aren't the prettiest though.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1521630/quick-help-folks-jbl-es80-vs-pioneer-fs52#post_24457227

I've heard good things about the sound quality of the new AJ designed Pioneers. They aren't the prettiest though.

Yeah, I was able to audition them in my house last October but brought them back within the return window. I didn't get a long enough chance with them so I returned them.

One thing that concerns me is that the JBL ES25 center only has a frequency down to 80hz vs the 55hz of the Pioneer. Won't this make crossing over on the JBL more challenging? Just trying to make the right purchase here. Any other thoughts from people?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1521630/quick-help-folks-jbl-es80-vs-pioneer-fs52#post_24457340

I do not prefer entry level JBL - also, the Pioneer center does not go down to 55 hz

However, JBL E series may float your boat - at least you can do the 30 day thing, as

you seem to be doing.

Haha, yes, the 30 day thing! It's killing my wife. "Can't you just pick one!?!?!?" Is the JBL entry series the JBL ES series, or is the ES series a step up? The spec sheet says 55hz for the Pioneer, but obviously that's wrong. It's just with the Pioneers they can be had for soooo low of a price that it seems almost foolish to go with another brand. But then again, I know tons do. Just wondering if my dollar will take me further with the JBL ES series.

#8 ·
And regardless of price here, is it generally believed that the Pioneers outperform the JBL even though they sell at a regular price of $499? Can't believe that by the way. considering the Pioneer is $129.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1521630/quick-help-folks-jbl-es80-vs-pioneer-fs52#post_24457421

The JBL will have more bass, due to being bigger.

Eh, I guess that's pretty moot then considering I'm running with a sub and crossing at 80hz. I just like the look of those JBL's far better....But, I'm ok with saving the cash if I'm not losing sound quality.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1521630/quick-help-folks-jbl-es80-vs-pioneer-fs52#post_24457446

Eh, I guess that's pretty moot then considering I'm running with a sub and crossing at 80hz. I just like the look of those JBL's far better....But, I'm ok with saving the cash if I'm not losing sound quality.

Woah. I see that JBL will pay return shipping on these things too! Does it matter if I buy from Frys, or must I buy directly from their website? Anyone know? I figure there's no harm in trying them out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.