Advice Needed! $5000 to spend - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
asystole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I need some advice. I have $5000 to spent on speakers for 7.1 or 7.2 HT. 100% Movies. The room is 30 by 15 no openings (except 1 Door of course) . I was looking to pair them with a Martaz 5008 but would except advice on the Receiver too if anyone would like to give me other options as I haven't bought that yet.

Any suggestions would be a big help.

TIA
asystole13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 89 Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
The Marantz 5008 would do well for a receiver. In a $5k budget, I would definitely do two subs. For subwoofers I would be looking at a pair of Hsu VTF15h or maybe a pair of the new Reaction BPS 215 which just came out. Those look like they could be very high value subs. If you can do just a little bit of assembly yourself, check out the Dayton RS1202k.

For speakers, if you don't need extraordinarily loud, I would be looking at Philharmonitors, KEF R100s, Ascend Sierras, or Mackie HR824 mk2s if you don't need something that looks fancy. I would use an identical speaker for the center speaker if at all possible, but if not, try to stay within the speaker series family. For bookshelf speakers, it is not crucial that you get a matching speaker, I would just get something neutral and capable. A good surround speaker is the JBL 8320, it is inexpensive, high performing, THX certified, easy to mount, and an easy load for any AVR.
shadyJ is offline  
post #3 of 89 Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
asystole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never heard of the Reaction BPS 215. Do you know of any reviews? I was looking at the ascend Sierras 2 for the RCL and the CBM-170 SE for the 4 surrounds but the JBL 8320 look interesting. Easy to mount.
asystole13 is offline  
post #4 of 89 Old 03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Reaction is a new company. It's always a risk dealing with a new business, but the owner has been open and very responsive on the Reaction thread, so I would be willing to give them a chance were I in the sub market. Or you could always go with an established brand like Hsu or SVS or whatever, they are good too, but the specs on the BPS 215 look killer. As for Sierra 2s, they would be very good, no doubt, and I think the CBMs would make good surround speakers as well. Note that none of the speakers I recommended including the Sierra 2s will give you that big Imax THX sound, if that is what you are looking for. You are going to need something with more than 6" bass drivers for that. If this is for a dedicated theater room, I would definitely go for a different type of speaker than these little bookshelf speakers.
shadyJ is offline  
post #5 of 89 Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What about Klipsch Reference Series, they are suppose to be great for HT.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #6 of 89 Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Klipsch Reference would be good, they would be more powerful than the bookshelf speakers I mentioned. They may not have the detail or axial response of those bookshelfs, but they will have an edge in dynamic range. I would be looking at some RB-81s as far as Klipsch Reference goes. I would try to get one for the center speaker as well, or use a RC-62. If looks are not important, you might check out some KRK Rokit 10-3s, those should have an edge in dynamic range as well. If you boost your budget up by about $1k, you can start think about getting some JTR, Pi, or JBL Pro speakers fr the front stage, which really will get you THX Reference performance in your room. For something inbetween the KRKs and Pi/JBL Pro, some people have used the QSC K speakers as fronts for dedicated home theater with purportedly good results. Supposedly even though they are live sound PA speakers, they have very good sound quality, so you might look into the advantages of using something like these QSC K12s as fronts. That will give you some very serious dynamic range.
shadyJ is offline  
post #7 of 89 Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Another to consider are JBL L820 L &R $349 a pair x3 @ B&HPhoto with free shipping, LC2 Center $400 @amazon with free shipping = $1450

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407263-REG/JBL_L820_H_L820_Studio_L_Series.html/?m=Y&gclid=CIDluM_jjb0CFYhaMgodSiIA-g

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ICXVK6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VQ11P4FZVTPN03E6H5Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #8 of 89 Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Newbie
 
zerobias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Rocky Mountains of Colorado
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

My advice?  Send me your money and I'll spend it for you.  I promise I'll do a good job.

zerobias is offline  
post #9 of 89 Old 03-12-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,863
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I would look at the JBL Studio 5 series, with the Compression horn tweeters

Look at the 580 - and save on speaker stands
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-580-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B0060IG460/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394670757&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+580

Or, the 590
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-590-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B0060IG3R0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394670819&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+590

Then the 520 center
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-520CBK-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00622SUHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394670843&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+520

The 8320 will be OK for surrounds

The the Sub and receiver is your call

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #10 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 AM
Member
 
joecmess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Try definitive technology with powered subs and a marantz or elite receiver.

Panasonic 65VT60

Panasonic DMP210 Blu ray player

Focal Aria 948 Mains

Focal Aria CC900 Center

Focal Aria 906 Rears

JL Audio E Sub e110

Mcintosh MX121 Processor (soon)

Mcintosh MC8207 amp (soon)

joecmess is offline  
post #11 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 154
If you really want to great sounding surround system that is mostly for theater use, and if you are willing to do the work, then the Seos kits are going to be your best bet. The Fusion-12 or Tux-1099 would best any of the Klipsch Reference, or Definitive Technology bipolar towers, or KRK's, Paradigm, ect...
Martycool007 is offline  
post #12 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
niccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Reaction is a new company. It's always a risk dealing with a new business, but the owner has been open and very responsive on the Reaction thread, so I would be willing to give them a chance were I in the sub market. Or you could always go with an established brand like Hsu or SVS or whatever, they are good too, but the specs on the BPS 215 look killer. As for Sierra 2s, they would be very good, no doubt, and I think the CBMs would make good surround speakers as well. Note that none of the speakers I recommended including the Sierra 2s will give you that big Imax THX sound, if that is what you are looking for. You are going to need something with more than 6" bass drivers for that. If this is for a dedicated theater room, I would definitely go for a different type of speaker than these little bookshelf speakers.

The pro of going with Reaction is that they'll discount their prices initially to build up market share and the owners do seem, in their communications on the forum, to be good folks. The con is that there are no formal or informal reviews and its hard to gauge the long-term stability of the company. Of course, if no one bought from new companies, then no new companies would ever get off the ground. But I'm still a bit surprised at how much some folks have been pushing Reaction around here, and I wonder how many of those folks would actually take this gamble with their own home theater budgets. At a minimum, especially when advising newbies, I wish folks would caveat their recommendations a little more, since those recommendations are, for now, based on very, very little data.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
niccolo is offline  
post #13 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 336
For a dedicated room 7 of these would do really well- http://chanemusiccinema.com/Theater-Ten

And while you're there, this is a pretty good deal for a pair of 18" subs- http://chanemusiccinema.com/Power-Package-Two

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #14 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
asystole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Reaction is a new company. It's always a risk dealing with a new business, but the owner has been open and very responsive on the Reaction thread, so I would be willing to give them a chance were I in the sub market. Or you could always go with an established brand like Hsu or SVS or whatever, they are good too, but the specs on the BPS 215 look killer. As for Sierra 2s, they would be very good, no doubt, and I think the CBMs would make good surround speakers as well. Note that none of the speakers I recommended including the Sierra 2s will give you that big Imax THX sound, if that is what you are looking for. You are going to need something with more than 6" bass drivers for that. If this is for a dedicated theater room, I would definitely go for a different type of speaker than these little bookshelf speakers.

Thanks for your input Shadyj
The big Imax THX sound is what I was looking for. How would the Sierra towers work. I was just checking out these configuration. I also started looking into the Klipsch Reference Series. Do you recommend any of the JBL in my price range. My budget is firm at $5000

Sierra Tower pair $1,898.00 $1,998.00

SRTC1 Sierra Horizon $998.00 $1,048.00

CBM-170 SE pair $348.00 $696.00

Rythmik LV12R Servo Sub, black oak $599.00 $1,198.00

Loudspeaker Package Discount: ($194.00)
Subwoofer Discount: ($119.80)
Total: $4,626.20
asystole13 is offline  
post #15 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
asystole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Not sure if these would fill my size room with enough sound.
asystole13 is offline  
post #16 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
asystole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

If you really want to great sounding surround system that is mostly for theater use, and if you are willing to do the work, then the Seos kits are going to be your best bet. The Fusion-12 or Tux-1099 would best any of the Klipsch Reference, or Definitive Technology bipolar towers, or KRK's, Paradigm, ect...


Looking very interesting but I really don't have the time to commit to such a project. Thank you for the suggestion.
asystole13 is offline  
post #17 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I'd look into high sensitivity speakers if you want that big imax sound.

Three jbl 3677 and two jbl 8320


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mrkazador is offline  
post #18 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
If you want a big Imax sound, I would not go with small bookshelf speakers with 6" woofers. The Sierras are unlikely to have that kind of dynamics. That package would not be what I would get for pursuing that kind of sound. If you don't need something that looks living-room-nice and really need to keep the budget under $5k for everything, check out a QSC K10 front stage. Very good sound quality for live audio speakers. The Sierras will give you a finer sound but they won't give you THX you-are-at-the-movies goose bumps. QSC Ks should be able to. A lot of pro-audio stores carry them and many will have them up for demo. I recommend you call up a pro audio store and ask them to set some up for you to demo, if you have a Guitar Center or something like that around you. Here is a suggestion for a less than $5k system that will get you a bigger than life THX sound:

3 x QSC K10: $2250
4 x Hsu HB-1 bookshelf speakers for surrounds: $700
2 x Hsu VTF15h subwoofers: $2k.

That will sound nice and big. I think the JBL 8320 surrounds would be better, but they push the budget over $5k. The Hsu speakers are good though, nice big sound stage and relatively powerful while still pretty neutral. The nice thing about that setup is the QSC speakers are powered, so they won't tax your AVR at all. Just hook em up to the pre-outs. More power gets reserved for your surround speakers, and the receiver is kept cooler for a longer life-span. The subs are powerful, they are basically the best you can do for $2k without going DIY. To keep up with the QSCs, you would want to run those sub in two port mode, get as much dynamic range as possible. If you decide you want those subs and surround speakers, call up Hsu and ask them what kind of deal they will offer for that kind of package. If you get bookshelf speaker surrounds, you will probably need to mount them, and the best inexpensive wall mounts are Videosecu side-clamping mounts. They are clones of the highly regarded AM40 Pinpoint mounts but $20 cheaper. For speaker cable, I would just get a roll of 14 AWG cable from Home Depot; expensive speaker cable doesn't buy you better sound. For HDMI cable, get it from monoprice.com, and if you need banana plugs, get those at monoprice too. Ditto for wall plates, and any other accessories. Skip the monoprice speaker mounts though, they are awful.
shadyJ is offline  
post #19 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
asystole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for your input. This has been a big help.

ShadyJ
If I'm only using the AVR for the surrounds. Should I still go with the Marantz SR5008?

Also, the back of the QSCs looks like there are a lot of adjustments for someone like me.

What do you think of the JBL 3677 and JBL 8320 mentioned above.
asystole13 is offline  
post #20 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Yeah, the Marantz will be fine. What you are mostly buying it for are the electronics, not the amplifier. What's nice is it has a full set of pre-outs, so you can go with powered speakers for any of the channels.

The back of the QSCs is not all that complicated, you would only be using the RCA line-in plugs, so you don't have to worry about all those XLR ins and outs. Keep the 'LF' on 'normal', and the 'HF' on 'flat'. Turn the front LED off. Turn the gain knob to maybe 1/8 to 1/4 volume. That's all you need to do. Your receiver calibrates everything automatically. It's a piece of cake, and if you have any questions, call up QSC's tech support or you can come here and ask us. The guys in the DIY section would be more adept with that kind of speaker, so ask there.

As for the JBL 3677 and 8320, those would be more appropriate for what you are trying to so, but they would be more expensive, and swiftly fill up your $5k budget leaving not enough room for subwoofers. The system I quoted is a hard $5k budget system. To accommodate some 3677s, you would want to increase your budget by at least another $1k. Another thing, even though the subs I linked too are fairly powerful, the dynamic range on the 3677 would be well beyond these home audio subs, so I would allocate even more money for subs just to get something that can keep up with those speakers at all. Even the QSC speakers have dynamic range beyond the subs I mentioned, but it won't be as bad of a disparity as the 3677s.
shadyJ is offline  
post #21 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 251
There's also the jbl 8330 surrounds which you can buy used on eBay for about $80 each + shipping.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mrkazador is offline  
post #22 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
trans_lux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In my theater
Posts: 971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 136



Get one of these and call it a day

As mentioned in the previous posts- high sensitivity pro speakers are what you want.
If you want real theater sound go to the source-JBL Cinema
This might put you a bit over your budget but this system will part your hair!

JBL 3252 LCR
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/3000-series/3252n#.UyKCqye9KSM

JBL 8320 surrounds and sides or just surrounds
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/surround-systems/8320#.UyKC_Se9KSM

JBL 3635 sub, two would be better
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/subwoofers/3635#.UyKDfie9KSM

Crown XLS-1000 1100 watts bridged into 4 ohms
http://www.crownaudio.com/xls-drivecore.html
trans_lux is offline  
post #23 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

There's also the jbl 8330 surrounds which you can buy used on eBay for about $80 each + shipping.

Lol, that is a really good deal! The problem is, can you get four of them at that price? Also those are very large speakers, make sure you have the space. If you can get that deal for four, and have the space, that is a killer surround speaker setup.
shadyJ is offline  
post #24 of 89 Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
trans_lux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In my theater
Posts: 971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 136
If you considering pro make sure you get speakers that have passive cross-overs vs. speakers that need to be bi or tri amplified.
trans_lux is offline  
post #25 of 89 Old 03-14-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
asystole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post




Get one of these and call it a day

As mentioned in the previous posts- high sensitivity pro speakers are what you want.
If you want real theater sound go to the source-JBL Cinema
This might put you a bit over your budget but this system will part your hair!

JBL 3252 LCR
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/3000-series/3252n#.UyKCqye9KSM

JBL 8320 surrounds and sides or just surrounds
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/surround-systems/8320#.UyKC_Se9KSM

JBL 3635 sub, two would be better
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/subwoofers/3635#.UyKDfie9KSM

Crown XLS-1000 1100 watts bridged into 4 ohms
http://www.crownaudio.com/xls-drivecore.html


Can't seem to find a price for the JBL 3252 or the sub. What would this setup run?
The sub isn't powered correct so what would I use as an amp?

Than you for the input
asystole13 is offline  
post #26 of 89 Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
asystole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

If you want a big Imax sound, I would not go with small bookshelf speakers with 6" woofers. The Sierras are unlikely to have that kind of dynamics. That package would not be what I would get for pursuing that kind of sound. If you don't need something that looks living-room-nice and really need to keep the budget under $5k for everything, check out a QSC K10 front stage. Very good sound quality for live audio speakers. The Sierras will give you a finer sound but they won't give you THX you-are-at-the-movies goose bumps. QSC Ks should be able to. A lot of pro-audio stores carry them and many will have them up for demo. I recommend you call up a pro audio store and ask them to set some up for you to demo, if you have a Guitar Center or something like that around you. Here is a suggestion for a less than $5k system that will get you a bigger than life THX sound:

3 x QSC K10: $2250
4 x Hsu HB-1 bookshelf speakers for surrounds: $700
2 x Hsu VTF15h subwoofers: $2k.

That will sound nice and big. I think the JBL 8320 surrounds would be better, but they push the budget over $5k. The Hsu speakers are good though, nice big sound stage and relatively powerful while still pretty neutral. The nice thing about that setup is the QSC speakers are powered, so they won't tax your AVR at all. Just hook em up to the pre-outs. More power gets reserved for your surround speakers, and the receiver is kept cooler for a longer life-span. The subs are powerful, they are basically the best you can do for $2k without going DIY. To keep up with the QSCs, you would want to run those sub in two port mode, get as much dynamic range as possible. If you decide you want those subs and surround speakers, call up Hsu and ask them what kind of deal they will offer for that kind of package. If you get bookshelf speaker surrounds, you will probably need to mount them, and the best inexpensive wall mounts are Videosecu side-clamping mounts. They are clones of the highly regarded AM40 Pinpoint mounts but $20 cheaper. For speaker cable, I would just get a roll of 14 AWG cable from Home Depot; expensive speaker cable doesn't buy you better sound. For HDMI cable, get it from monoprice.com, and if you need banana plugs, get those at monoprice too. Ditto for wall plates, and any other accessories. Skip the monoprice speaker mounts though, they are awful.

I'm leaning towards this setup. Just have question about connecting the QSC to the SR5008.

I see on the SR5008 pre-outs that you have one right, one left and one center RCA jack but the QSC has a left and right. Will I need to split the SR5008 Pre-out to connect to both of the QSCs L and R RCAs?
asystole13 is offline  
post #27 of 89 Old 03-14-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
trans_lux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In my theater
Posts: 971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

I'm leaning towards this setup. Just have question about connecting the QSC to the SR5008.

I see on the SR5008 pre-outs that you have one right, one left and one center RCA jack but the QSC has a left and right. Will I need to split the SR5008 Pre-out to connect to both of the QSCs L and R RCAs?

I have not heard these exact speakers but they are designed to be used as a mobile PA sound reinforcement.
IMHO I don't you will like the sound for theater use.
If you are going to use them as independent channels, which I assume you are you only need one input per speaker.
If you go this route I would invest in a balanced pre-amp as you really don't want hook these up single ended.
While its possible you wont be getting the most out of the speaker and I have found that its very easy to pick up noise in these high high powered efficiency speakers using single ended cables.

Also are you sure you want to powered?
A passive speaker with high efficiency like the JBL Cinema speakers I recommended will play as loud as you want with Marantz receiver.
And again IMHO you will much prefer the sound of something designed specifically for the cinema.

The 3252 and the 3635 are about $900 each.
Spectrum should have all of them
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/jbl-3252n-screen-array.html
trans_lux is offline  
post #28 of 89 Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

Not sure if these would fill my size room with enough sound.
There not small speakers, they are not very deep in size though.
The front L&R Dimensions (WxHxD) 15.5" x 12.3" x 5"
Center Dimensions (HxWxD) 12 1/4" x 22" x 5"

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #29 of 89 Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
For pure movies, I would look at 1) Klipsch THX Ultra2 or 2) Jamo THX Ultra2 speakers. Deals can be had. In other words, "street" prices are a lot lower than MSRP.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #30 of 89 Old 03-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Farley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia, United States
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

I never heard of the Reaction BPS 215. Do you know of any reviews? I was looking at the ascend Sierras 2 for the RCL and the CBM-170 SE for the 4 surrounds but the JBL 8320 look interesting. Easy to mount.

I was sub shopping the past few weeks and, personally, decided there wasn't anywhere near enough information, experience, or history with Reaction to even consider forking over that kind of money. There are just so many time-proven companies and models to choose from...really doesn't seem worth the risk.

 

If you search and read around enough you may notice a pattern when it comes to some posters and their bias for and against certain sub manufacturers. 


Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

Farley1 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Jbl 8320 Compact Cinema Surround Speaker For Digital Applications
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off