Recommendation for surround speaker wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-15-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just bought our first home, so I'm looking at having to run longer speaker wire to the surrounds than I have in my previous apartment residences.

I'll also be running the wire under the house in the crawlspace, so I'll probably need some additional slack as well.

I'll be running the wire to two Snell LCR7 loudspeakers as surround channels, as well as to two Buttkicker LFE modules under the couch.

Looking for a recommendation for good speaker without breaking the bank. I don't think I need audiophile-grade stuff here, but I am willing to pay for quality that makes an actual difference.

In terms of the length, it's hard to say since we haven't even moved into the house yet and I've never run speaker wire under a house before. The physical distance from the speaker to the surround processor is only 10 feet or so in a straight line, but I've got to run the wire down the length of the speaker stands (~36"), then under the house, across the living room to the opposite wall, then up into some conduit, and finally down again into the alcove where my entertainment center is.

If I had to make a rough guess, I'd say each length would be about 30 feet or so, and I'd be running 4 wires (two to surrounds and two to the Buttkickers.)

Want to make sure the gauge is good enough so quality won't be an issue (I don't want to have to replace it for many years) and I'll be running it inside a wall so I want it to be up to code as well.

Not sure if I should be looking for a spool I can cut to my own lengths, or buying off-the-shelf predetermined lengths, but open to any suggestions. Would prefer to just run the same wire for both the surrounds and Buttkickers unless there's an amazing reason to use different wire types for them.

Thanks,
R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I use this speaker wire in any installs I perform...

12 ga. $ 0.75 by the foot... http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KL3-122

or

10 ga. $ 1.15 by the foot... http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KL3-102

You can save a little bit by ordering in 100 foot or 250 foot lengths. This cable is molded, not sheathed like eBay and MonoPrice cable, and is perfectly round. Great for applying TechFlex over when NOT running in-wall. It is a high strand count for more flexibility. Some of my installs involve exactly what you are doing -- running partially in attic or crawlspace. I run straight through the wall using blank wall plates and only TechFlex the wire coming out of the wall. It is a little harder to do but eliminates TWO wire breaks and potential for signal loss/failure not to mention the additional cost of jacked wall plates and additional termination hardware.

The ButtKickers might need something a little different depending on where the amp for those will be located. ButtKickers are 4 Ohm but the 12 gauge should still be fine as long as the run isn't more than 30 feet from amp to transducers. I actually decided to run high-quality RCA from the AVR's LFE output to the LFE input on a separate ButtKicker amp. My ButtKicker amp is real close to my seating, so I only needed 6 foot runs of speaker wire. I usually recommend 500 watts per kicker but that is if you want a lot of kick. I generally don't run mine more than 40% of max and that is with two kickers mounted to a three-seat couch with a BKA1000 amp.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #3 of 7 Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Do yourself a favor and get any of these and call it a day-

http://www.monoprice.com/Search?keyword=IN+WALL+SPEAKER+WIRE
Mrkazador likes this.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #4 of 7 Old 03-16-2014, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

Do yourself a favor and get any of these and call it a day-

http://www.monoprice.com/Search?keyword=IN+WALL+SPEAKER+WIRE

Yep. Plus, have a read at this

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

post #5 of 7 Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinclair View Post

Looking for a recommendation for good speaker without breaking the bank. I don't think I need audiophile-grade stuff here, but I am willing to pay for quality that makes an actual difference.
Higher price does not equate to higher quality. Get the least expensive pure copper conductor wire of sufficient gauge. You can spend a thousand times more and it will sound the same. Use this to determine the required gauge:
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Get the Monoprice CL2 #14 jacketed copper speaker cable for under-house runs.

Monoprice Part # 2820 (100 feet) or #2821 (250 feet).

It is about 30 cents per foot.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Another vote for Monoprice.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page