Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

What AMP/Receiver do you have? Is its the old Marantz 1060 you mentioned above?

The different between the two methods of hooking up depends on the receiver you have, and whether is has a subwoofer pre-out or regular pre-out in general or not. If your receiver has a subwoofer pre-out(and 99% of todays modern receivers have them) its is the easiest way to hook up a subwoofer. Just take an RCA from the LFE port on the subwoofer amp to the subwoofer pre-out in the back of the receiver. And then all you got to do from there go into the receiver menu and fiddle with some settings.

There is no real benefit in terms of sound either way you hook it up. The best and easiest way is the way recommended with the RCA cable from pre-out to Subwoofer amp. If you go about this using speaker wire its more of a pain. Go to Wal-Mart and pick up an RCA to RCA stereo audio cable.

So in your case you are just going to take a simple RCA cable (red and white) and go from amp's pre-out to subwoofer amp.

It is the Marantz 1060.  I assume thats why the RCA route was a little more convoluted, and why I went with the speaker cable.  Didnt have the RCA splitter. 

Speaker wire route seems to me to be higher level (line?) whereas the RCA cable is lower level, and therefore needs to run through the Preamp connections on the amp, correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazertag View Post

It is the Marantz 1060.  I assume thats why the RCA route was a little more convoluted, and why I went with the speaker cable.  Didnt have the RCA splitter. 

Speaker wire route seems to me to be higher level (line?) whereas the RCA cable is lower level, and therefore needs to run through the Preamp connections on the amp, correct?
RCA route is the easiest way to do it. You shouldn't need an RCA splitter as your Marantz 1060 already has a Pre-Out right? Do you have an additional amp you are using? Or am I looking at the back of a different receiver here:

And for hooking up your record player you take another RCA cable from the player to the Phono input in the back

As for using speakers wire you will run speaker wire from the 1060 (main speaker system ports) to the Subwoofer amp. And then run speaker wire from the subwoofer amp to the speakers. To be perfectly honest since your subwoofer only has Speaker In's and not Speaker Outs as well I find that method of hooking up even less desirable.

A simple RCA stereo cable running from the 1060's Pre-Out to the Subwoofer amp's 'Line In'. Is the much easier way to go about your setup. Set the LowPass Filter knob on the subwoofer to around 80hz

In bold is the easiest and best way to set up your system, IMHO.
post #33 of 35 Old 03-22-2014, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazertag View Post

Thanks for the input guys.  How is the (perceived) value on known brands like KEF Wharfedale, B&W versus some of the lesser known (to me) brands you guys are rec'ing like Ascend Acousitcs and HDT?

I guess I'm kind of looking for the speaker to speakers that the Pro-Ject Carbon is to turntables...if that makes sense.  Solid audiophile performance at an 'entry level' price point.  

I'm using a pair of the new JBL Studio 230 bookshelves on stands in my bedroom and love them. I purchased them from WorldWide Stereo, fulfilled by Amazon at $399/pair tax free and free shipping. I prefer them to JBL 530 and JBL L830 bookshelves.
post #34 of 35 Old 03-22-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

RCA route is the easiest way to do it. You shouldn't need an RCA splitter as your Marantz 1060 already has a Pre-Out right? Do you have an additional amp you are using? Or am I looking at the back of a different receiver here:

Yeah. But it has a main-in. Most amps like that require the pre-out to be routed to the main-in--that's the direct line to the internal power amplifier that has to be connected to something. To so to use the sub, he needs to split the signal from the pre-out and run it to both the sub amp AND the main-in smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #35 of 35 Old 03-22-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yeah. But it has a main-in. Most amps like that require the pre-out to be routed to the main-in--that's the direct line to the internal power amplifier that has to be connected to something. To so to use the sub, he needs to split the signal from the pre-out and run it to both the sub amp AND the main-in smile.gif
than get this Cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ICN48Q?pc_redir=1395265831&robot_redir=1) and the RCA cable I suggested earlier. Easy peesy!!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page