Speaker wire question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
moedank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a 3.0 system consisting of Polk Monitor series II 50s front speakers, a CS1 center and a Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. The speakers and receiver's front speaker terminals accept banana plugs. However, the receiver's center speaker terminals are spring clips, so they only accept bare wire or pin plugs.

 

Here's my dilemma. I want to use these cables (http://sewelldirect.com/Silverback-Speaker-Wire-by-Sewell-Enhanced-Loud-Oxygen-Free-Pure-Copper-259-Strand-Count-6-ft-Terminated.asp) for my speakers. They are relatively inexpensive, look professional and seem to be well made. Since the receiver's center speaker terminals are spring clips, can I connect one end of the cable's banana plugs to pin plugs like these (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=5976&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj) so that the center speaker can be connected to the receiver? The description for the pin plug states that it accepts banana plugs. Stupid question, would the banana plug connect through the bottom of the pin plug or would it be secured in through the open screw area? Please forgive my lack of knowledge about this. 

 

Also, will this added plug  negatively influence the sound coming from the center speaker in a noticeable way in comparison to the fronts that won't have this extra component to run through? I know there will be some type of difference, but if I can't tell than I won't care. 

 

Thanks in advance!

 

moedank is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Forget the plugs and just use Monoprice #14 speaker wire.

It helps to twist the wires together after stripping them.

Plain stripped stranded wire is the only thing to use in the spring clips; other things do not seat well in the spring clips.

For binding posts it helps to "tin" the stripped wire ends with solder, and then put them thorough the holes in the base of the binding posts.

Get Monoprice #2748 (50 feet pure copper #14 wire) $13.
commsysman is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Member
 
highd3f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Croatia
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Won't solder create resistance for the signal that's passing to the speaker?
highd3f is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
You don't need any connectors, so just get bare wire. And why 12 gauge? Massive overkill for a 6 foot cable. Use this to find the gauge you actually need:
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
moedank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Forget the plugs and just use Monoprice #14 speaker wire.

It helps to twist the wires together after stripping them.

Plain stripped stranded wire is the only thing to use in the spring clips; other things do not seat well in the spring clips.

For binding posts it helps to "tin" the stripped wire ends with solder, and then put them thorough the holes in the base of the binding posts.

Get Monoprice #2748 (50 feet pure copper #14 wire) $13.

 

I actually already have ~90 feet of C&E 14 awg copper wire and have been running my speakers bare for some time. The wire itself is fine; I just don't care for the look of bare wire or do-it-yourself wiring. The Sewell cable I linked to looks damn sexy in my opinion. I plan on only running a 3.0 or 3.1 system, so I thought three of these cables at the same length would make setting up my system a snap. My only issue is the center speaker's terminals on the receiver are spring clips and won't accept banana plugs. So, I am trying to figure out a way to get by until I eventually upgrade my receiver. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

You don't need any connectors, so just get bare wire. And why 12 gauge? Massive overkill for a 6 foot cable. Use this to find the gauge you actually need:
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

 

I only chose that gauge because their website doesn't have any other size. I would have preferred 14 awg. 

moedank is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

I actually already have ~90 feet of C&E 14 awg copper wire and have been running my speakers bare for some time. The wire itself is fine; I just don't care for the look of bare wire or do-it-yourself wiring. The Sewell cable I linked to looks damn sexy in my opinion. I plan on only running a 3.0 or 3.1 system, so I thought three of these cables at the same length would make setting up my system a snap. My only issue is the center speaker's terminals on the receiver are spring clips and won't accept banana plugs. So, I am trying to figure out a way to get by until I eventually upgrade my receiver.

This isn't much of a dilemma. Banana plugs don't make your system sound any better, its purely aesthetics and convenience.

Buy the 3 cables and remove the banana plugs on one end if your receiver only accepts bare wire for the center. Only takes a few seconds to do.




How often do you look at the back of your receiver?

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
moedank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

How often do you look at the back of your receiver?

 

Not much. It's one of those things that isn't a big deal but it still bothers me. Besides my electronics, I'm not OCD. :)

moedank is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Do whatever you need to do to make yourself happy then.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jdcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I also agree that bare wire is the BEST connection for spring clips. Those pins just do not work very well, they just do not get clamped in well.
jdcrox is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off