Center used as mains? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just wondering if a decent center channel could be used up front for all 3. I'm looking at the Focal 800v but placing all 3 vertically behind an AT screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
You usually will get better sound quality and especially imaging from a pair of tower or bookshelf speakers.

Focal makes very good speakers, but I think that is a rather bad idea.

The 800v is not designed to be used vertically.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I looked at the speaker again and noticed the tweeter looks like it's designed for a horizontal setup. Ideally I would like 3 bookshelf speakers across the front but most are offered in pairs so that's why I thought of going with 3 centers. I haven't noticed anyone doing this so that must be for a reason smile.gif
post #4 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

MUsic Direct has a great special on the 714V speakers.

A pair of those plus the cc700v would be a nice combination.

Or, if you don't want tower speakers, the 806V speakers.

If you are going to use stands, don't get flimsy wood stands; get the SANUS STEEL foundations stands or something equally strong and rigid for good coupling to the floor.

It also helps to put steel birdshot or sand in the vertical columns for more mass and damping.

Good stands make a HUGE difference in speaker performance; the difference between poor sound and excellent sound in many cases.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I will be building a false wall for my screen so I'll most likely frame in some custom stands for the speakers. I've been eyeing the deals at music direct, they look pretty good. These speakers are for a dedicated theater and I have 2 SVS PB-2000 subs for all my low end so that's why I don't mind going with decent bookshelf speakers. I am liking that center though I've never heard anything focal makes.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Focal makes some really really good speakers; nice sound quality!

You might want to check out some of the past reviews on them at the Stereophile website, or look up some Focal speaker reviews onllne.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post

I will be building a false wall for my screen so I'll most likely frame in some custom stands for the speakers. I've been eyeing the deals at music direct, they look pretty good. These speakers are for a dedicated theater and I have 2 SVS PB-2000 subs for all my low end so that's why I don't mind going with decent bookshelf speakers. I am liking that center though I've never heard anything focal makes.
If you're building a false wall, use an acoustically transparent, (AT), screen and place the CC behind it. Then you don't need to use a "center" speaker; you can use a 3rd speaker identical to the L/R's. This will provide the best opportunity for a proper timbre-match across the front soundstage.

The woven AT screens have excellent acoustic transparency and don't require any EQ.

Agreed that Focal makes excellent speakers, especially their beryllium tweeters.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #8 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Focal makes some really really good speakers; nice sound quality!

You might want to check out some of the past reviews on them at the Stereophile website, or look up some Focal speaker reviews onllne.
That's all I've been doing lately ha. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with them, just gotta figure out which line.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

If you're building a false wall, use an acoustically transparent, (AT), screen and place the CC behind it. Then you don't need to use a "center" speaker; you can use a 3rd speaker identical to the L/R's. This will provide the best opportunity for a proper timbre-match across the front soundstage.

The woven AT screens have excellent acoustic transparency and don't require any EQ.

Agreed that Focal makes excellent speakers, especially their beryllium tweeters.

Craig

This is exactly what I'm doing but I can't seem to find 3 identical speakers that aren't towers. Or if I find towers I like they only come in pairs. I'd love to have all 3 up front be the same but it might not happen
post #10 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Look into the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SEs. They will sell you a third individually.

post #11 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I've looked at those as well, for some reason they don't jump off the page for me. I think I'd be ok with a pretty good center that costs more than my cheap Polk cs10
post #12 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've looked at those as well, for some reason they don't jump off the page for me. I think I'd be ok with a pretty good center that costs more than my cheap Polk cs10

Yeah, well, they are not being sold for aesthetics, which shouldn't matter if going behind a screen. Try reading this review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478626/ascend-acoustic-5-1-setup-review

And no. Most center would be a poor choice as they are designed for horizontal placement, not vertical. Bad choice just go with any of them, IMO, because the sound disbursement will be wrong. You could look for LCR speakers which are designed for vertical or center placement. Or find speakers that are sold as each.

post #13 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yeah, well, they are not being sold for aesthetics, which shouldn't matter if going behind a screen. Try reading this review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478626/ascend-acoustic-5-1-setup-review

And no. Most center would be a poor choice as they are designed for horizontal placement, not vertical. Bad choice just go with any of them, IMO, because the sound disbursement will be wrong. You could look for LCR speakers which are designed for vertical or center placement. Or find speakers that are sold as each.

I didn't mean they weren't jumping off the page for me visually. Just more in general but I really haven't spent a lot of time researching them. I'm leaning towards Focal but I'm still keeping my options open.
post #14 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Look into the Funk Audio 6.1, since Nathan custom builds these he would likely sell you 3.

Since you have an AT, 3 identical is definitely the way to go.

post #15 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Look into the Funk Audio 6.1, since Nathan custom builds these he would likely sell you 3.

Thank you I'll check those out

Since you have an AT, 3 identical is definitely the way to go.
post #16 of 31 Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

...Ideally I would like 3 bookshelf speakers across the front but most are offered in pairs so that's why I thought of going with 3 centers. I haven't noticed anyone doing this so that must be for a reason smile.gif
Quote:

... but I can't seem to find 3 identical speakers that aren't towers. ... I'd love to have all 3 up front be the same but it might not happen

If you call a dealer (or manufacturer) directly you can sometimes snag a single. I've done this successfully a few times.

+ 1 getting three identical speakers LCR across the front. Since it's often easier to buy 2 pair instead of 3 individual there are some options re the left-over 4th speaker - keep it as a backup, use it as a music monitor in another room, use it as a single "rear surround" speaker in a 6.1 setup (I did that for a while and it sounded great).

The Focal Chorus 800 series are very nice speakers, but if you're open to other speakers where getting a 3rd is easier ...
- +1 the Ascend CMT-340's mentioned earlier
- Ascend Sierra 1's (they currently have some B-stock to save $, the center is identical to the LR mains except for the rotated tweeter - just ask them to "un" rotate it back)
- Arx A1rx-c (will sell a single if you call, slightly less expensive but still good)
- Arx A2rx-c Center (same tweeter note as the Ascends, these speakers are designed to be used both vertically and horizontally)
- KEF Q200c or Q600c (a center that works both vertically and horizontally)
- JBL Studio 530 (JBL will sell singles if you call)

Sure there are others that just aren't coming to mind at the moment wink.gif
post #17 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

If you call a dealer (or manufacturer) directly you can sometimes snag a single. I've done this successfully a few times.

+ 1 getting three identical speakers LCR across the front. Since it's often easier to buy 2 pair instead of 3 individual there are some options re the left-over 4th speaker - keep it as a backup, use it as a music monitor in another room, use it as a single "rear surround" speaker in a 6.1 setup (I did that for a while and it sounded great).

The Focal Chorus 800 series are very nice speakers, but if you're open to other speakers where getting a 3rd is easier ...
- Ascend Sierra 1's (they currently have some B-stock to save $, the center is identical to the LR mains except for the rotated tweeter - just ask them to "un" rotate it back)
- Arx A1rx-c (will sell a single if you call, slightly less expensive but still good)
- Arx A2rx-c Center (same tweeter note as the Ascends, these speakers are designed to be used both vertically and horizontally)

I've looked at all of those except the KEF you mentioned.  I can get the JBL for $250 ea on Amazon but you say JBL will send me a single?  It was on my list to do today to e-mail them and ask if this were possible.  I've heard many good things about them but have never heard anything by JBL.  Thanks for the response, it's appreciated. 

post #18 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

You could also do what I did...

...convince a friend to do the same thing and split a pair to each get a centre (in our case it was KEF iQ3).

post #19 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

You could also do what I did...

...convince a friend to do the same thing and split a pair to each get a centre (in our case it was KEF iQ3).
That's a good idea but I don't have anyone who'd want to do that. You in need of another iQ3? smile.gif
post #20 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a good idea but I don't have anyone who'd want to do that. You in need of another iQ3? smile.gif

You could always buy 3 pairs of something, have the ultimate matching 5.0 and a spare in case something blows down the road...

post #21 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Another to add to that list. The Definitive Technology Studio Monitor series are also sold as each.

post #22 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:

Just wondering if a decent center channel could be used up front for all 3. I'm looking at the Focal 800v but placing all 3 vertically behind an AT screen.

I have done exactly what the thread title suggests with what I find to be excellent results, but I wouldn't do what you seem to be thinking of doing.

As a rule speakers are designed to have a preferred orientation and it is the rare speaker that works well in more than one orientation. Most of those have carefully controlled directivity and incorporate waveguides (horns).

This is I believe, a picture of the speaker that you propose to use in the wrong orientation:

This is what it would look like were it designed to be used vertically:

Or

The technical issues are covered by these aritcles:

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs

Rather than rewrite the Torah, I recommend reading them. Amy questions - put them into this thread and I will try to monitor it.

The speakers I used this way were Infinity PC351s but I used them oriented horizontally.
post #23 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Another to add to that list. The Definitive Technology Studio Monitor series are also sold as each.

I missed these in my research, thanks for the suggestion.
post #24 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I have done exactly what the thread title suggests with what I find to be excellent results, but I wouldn't do what you seem to be thinking of doing.

As a rule speakers are designed to have a preferred orientation and it is the rare speaker that works well in more than one orientation. Most of those have carefully controlled directivity and incorporate waveguides (horns).

This is I believe, a picture of the speaker that you propose to use in the wrong orientation:

Or

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

Rather than rewrite the Torah, I recommend reading them. Amy questions - put them into this thread and I will try to monitor it.

The speakers I used this way were Infinity PC351s but I used them oriented horizontally.

Good information, thanks. I am not considering doing this and never truly felt it would be better than 3 "main" speakers but was curious if anyone has done it and wanted to get a take on it all. Would 3 JBL studio 530 monitors fill a 2500 cu ft room nicely? Can't seem to find anything negative about these speakers.
post #25 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Or

Good information, thanks. I am not considering doing this and never truly felt it would be better than 3 "main" speakers but was curious if anyone has done it and wanted to get a take on it all. Would 3 JBL studio monitors fill a 2500 cu ft room nicely? Can't seem to find anything negative about these speakers.

I believe that Primus 363s are preferable even though they are probably made in the same factories and may even include some of the same drivers. I'd definitely use 2 Primus P363s and a PC 351 in a room that size with a good subwoofer.
post #26 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

I already have 2 SVS PB-2000 subs with a potential third so I know the low end is covered. Guess I'll just have to listen to speakers but ugh auditioning many different ones is a pain. Wish this was as easy as picking my subs ha
post #27 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I already have 2 SVS PB-2000 subs with a potential third so I know the low end is covered. Guess I'll just have to listen to speakers but ugh auditioning many different ones is a pain. Wish this was as easy as picking my subs ha

I think the Ascends, Focals, Def Techs, and Kefs would all be a significant upgrade over your Polk CS10 (are your mains Polk Monitors?). I would imagine that you would probably be safe with buying without trying smile.gif

post #28 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think the Ascends, Focals, Def Techs, and Kefs would all be a significant upgrade over your Polk CS10 (are your mains Polk Monitors?). I would imagine that you would probably be safe with buying without trying smile.gif

Ha yes I believe you're right. I sold my polks but they were monitor 75 towers. Just way too cheap for the rest of my equipment and I want to try a different sound.
post #29 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

So I'm sick of looking at countless speakers without listening to anything. I've narrowed it down to the Ascend CMTs or Chane A2rx. They are pretty close in price and quality so it'll come down to which one has the better sound to my ears.
post #30 of 31 Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

So I'm sick of looking at countless speakers without listening to anything. I've narrowed it down to the Ascend CMTs or Chane A2rx. They are pretty close in price and quality so it'll come down to which one has the better sound to my ears.

There's a guy selling 3 of them for $600 + shipping here.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123993.0

However, you can't send a PM on the AC site until you have 2 posts and the first one takes many hours to be posted until they can monitor the post.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page