Is My System Way To Outdated? - AVS Forum
Speakers > Is My System Way To Outdated?
pacificredhawk's Avatar pacificredhawk 12:04 PM 03-18-2014

I have this setup in my garage (in a box from old house). I have had it since 2007. Wondering if I should upgrade or use it for home theatre and some good CD listening in my living room.

1 Tannoy center speaker.

4 Tannoy surround speakers

1 Tannoy subwoofer. Model number EFX 5.1

1 Marantz receiver (has HDMI). Model number SR50001.

buzzy_'s Avatar buzzy_ 06:38 PM 03-18-2014
Those speakers aren't too old, not even close.

Receivers change more rapidly - it should work fine, whether it meets your needs depends on whether it has the features you want.

You can start by hooking it up and seeing whether it does what you want.

If you want more advice, you'd need to be more specific about the speaker models, the room, and how you plan to use it. The question wouldn't be whether they're outdated, but whether they have the sound output you need for the room and how you use them.
pacificredhawk's Avatar pacificredhawk 06:53 PM 03-18-2014

Thanks I hooked it up today and its still great!!!

One question: I tried hooking up the Tannoy subwoofer to the receiver via speaker wires and I cant figure out how to get that working. I have a cable that I used to use with the subwoofer that connected to the receiver and worked fine. However, it is too short. Am I doing something wrong? It looks like it is not possible, according to the manual. Here is the page I was looking at.

pacificredhawk's Avatar pacificredhawk 08:01 AM 03-19-2014

bump

PM-Performance's Avatar PM-Performance 08:10 AM 03-19-2014
As said above, I do not think speakers can really be outdated.
Its more the electronics like AVR's that can outdate with additional features. If you like how the stuff sounds, no need to upgrade. Why spend money if you like it?
For the sub, typically subs are self powered, so a Sub cable would be needed. Just grab a longer one somewhere or buy a set of RCA's and split them apart to grab the one cable. They are really cheap. I got a higher end 50ft one from Monoprice for $10
crazyrob425's Avatar crazyrob425 08:16 AM 03-19-2014
Subwoofer cables are cheap enough to get one long enough for your room
http://www.monoprice.com/Search?cp_id=12004&keyword=subwoofer%20cable

It honestly is too much of a pain to use speaker wire to hook of the subwoofer, for a $10 cable at radio shack, but read the second part of this answer and they tell ya.
http://www.polkaudio.com/polk-university/faq/how-do-i-hook-up-my-powered-subwoofer
pacificredhawk's Avatar pacificredhawk 10:01 AM 03-19-2014

Thanks y'all for the help.

Now I have a bigger problem.

I can't get sound to go from the Samsung TV directly to the receiver (want to play YouTube on the Samsung Apps I have that are in the TV. I have the HDMI cable connected from the receiver (out) to the HDMI (have tried all 4) on the TV. However, it looks like it won't work that way. I tried plugging an HDMI from the receiver (input 1) to TV (output) and that doesn't work either. Maybe downside of having an older receiver?

PM-Performance's Avatar PM-Performance 10:08 AM 03-19-2014
I had problems with that before with my Panasonic and gave up on it, but I think the fix is to run an optical from the TV to the reciever for those functions to work through the AVR.
I thought panasonic told me it was ARC related, but all my stuff is ARC. I dont use the function enough to lose sleep over it.
crazyrob425's Avatar crazyrob425 11:54 AM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificredhawk View Post

Thanks y'all for the help.

Now I have a bigger problem.

I can't get sound to go from the Samsung TV directly to the receiver (want to play YouTube on the Samsung Apps I have that are in the TV. I have the HDMI cable connected from the receiver (out) to the HDMI (have tried all 4) on the TV. However, it looks like it won't work that way. I tried plugging an HDMI from the receiver (input 1) to TV (output) and that doesn't work either. Maybe downside of having an older receiver?
Your receiver may be so old that is does not support ARC of Audio Return Channel on HDMI. Maybe the TV doesn't support ARC too, not sure how old or what model number your TV is.

Does your TV have any audio outs? Like an Optical output? Cause than an optical cable from your TV to receiver will solve that issue.
pacificredhawk's Avatar pacificredhawk 09:17 AM 03-22-2014

The digital audio cable did the trick. Thanks y'all.

Up
Mobile  Desktop