post #61 of 65 Old 03-29-2014, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

You are free to buy what you want,

I will not try to stop you other than providing advice once (unless you choose to keep that conversation going, then you should expect me to keep conversing out of politeness)

But I will not sit quietly should you ever try to convince anyone else that there is any scientific evidence or reasoning at all in the choice

And I have not hijacked your thread, I have done nothing but provide honest advice, sounded in evidence rather than opinion. I provided my best advice on your initial topic, and then participated in conversations started by others (and OT conversations started by you) as well. I did not change the direction of conversation - and just because I express an opinion you do not agree with, it does not make it hijacking, it makes it a conversation.

I've already seen this topic and at least one other start up over my request to find the best speakers for the amp I am going to have. None of which has anything to do with my initial topics. I mentioned that I plan to use a better cable and that is my choice. I need advice on speakers, not cables otherwise I would have asked for it. So yes, my thread is getting hijacked by people with an agenda against a product they do not consider for their own use.

Personally I find much of what science has to offer these days, just like what they've order us to believe in past millennia is a lot of bunk. Is the world still flat or is it round?

Kindly take your problem with speaker cable to another message string. I don't need it in my own string especially since I did not bring up the idea to discuss cable but speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

You are free to buy what you want,

I will not try to stop you other than providing advice once (unless you choose to keep that conversation going, then you should expect me to keep conversing out of politeness)

But I will not sit quietly should you ever try to convince anyone else that there is any scientific evidence or reasoning at all in the choice

And I have not hijacked your thread, I have done nothing but provide honest advice, sounded in evidence rather than opinion. I provided my best advice on your initial topic, and then participated in conversations started by others (and OT conversations started by you) as well. I did not change the direction of conversation - and just because I express an opinion you do not agree with, it does not make it hijacking, it makes it a conversation.

I've already seen this topic and at least one other start up over my request to find the best speakers for the amp I am going to have. None of which has anything to do with my initial topics. I mentioned that I plan to use a better cable and that is my choice. I need advice on speakers, not cables otherwise I would have asked for it. So yes, my thread is getting hijacked by people with an agenda against a product they do not consider for their own use.

Personally I find much of what science has to offer these days, just like what they've order us to believe in past millennia is a lot of bunk. Is the world still flat or is it round?

Kindly take your problem with speaker cable to another message string. I don't need it in my own string especially since I did not bring up the idea to discuss cable but speakers.

audioasylum might be a better place for you to seek "advice" from.
psgcdn and lovinthehd like this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #63 of 65 Old 03-29-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I mentioned that I plan to use a better cable and that is my choice.

You can use a different cable (fancier looking, exotic materials, more expensive, etc., etc.) - that is your choice.

Call it better, and either have evidence or accept that you have hijacked your own thread.
CruelInventions and psgcdn like this.

post #64 of 65 Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

I mentioned that I plan to use a better cable
Exactly, you mentioned it, and it was pointed out to you that there is no such thing. You came here in the first place asking questions ostensibly looking for expert opinions. Don't bite the hand that feeds you when you get them. As for what you're so insistent upon that you can hear, you might want to consider what experts have to say about that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

BTW, scientists going back over 3,000 years have always known and stated the the world was round. Those parties claiming otherwise did so to advance a different agenda, and it had nothing to do with science.
CruelInventions likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #65 of 65 Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I actually went back and read the original starting post.

There is little relation between amp power and speaker power rating in the real world. There are various amplifier power ratings that provide steady-state sine wave output but underestimate the dynamic (peak) power available from the amplifiers that add significant headroom in actual use. I do not think there are any defined standards for rating speaker power and it is usually just a number. it would be nice if some sort of graph or at least max power to each driver was presented, but I have only rarely seen such information. So you are left to guess.

Ages ago amps were small and tended to clip readily, and speakers were much less robust than today. Today run-of-the-mill AVRs put out around 100 W cleanly and modern drivers (LF, anyway) easily handle that much power on musical (or movie) content.

I would determine the sensitivity of your speakers, where they are placed in your room and how far away you are from them, and use a calculator like the one linked below to estimate the power you need to reach the volume you desire. Now you can decide what amplifier power is needed and if the speakers can handle it. If the speakers can't, you need different speakers with higher sensitivity, higher power rating, or both. Note most speakers distort heavily well before reaching their peak ratings. If the speakers can handle the power, you can estimate how much amplifier power you want, remembering every 3 dB doubles the amplifier power.

A pair of 90 dB/W/m speakers 12 feet away, near the side walls, driven by a 100 W/ch AVR can reach nearly 105 dB at the listening position and that is plenty for me. I still need my ears for my band and orchestra gigs. I think a lot of folk would be surprised by their listening levels; probably much lower than they think. 80 dB is loud! Of course loudness wars are always interesting...

I generally decide upon the speakers first, based on how they sound and specifications like sensitivity, then pick an amp sized appropriately. These days most AVRs have no problem driving most speakers in most rooms to levels well beyond what is safe or sane. But of course nobody is average...

All IMO - Don

SPL calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page