SPL Meter, worth the purchase? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,

Just got a PB 2000 SVS sub and ran audyssey last night. And it chose aweful settings, had to switch speakers to small and move the crossover from 40 to 80. And the speaker and woofer levels are all over the place. Would it be worth getting a SPL Meter to confirm accuracy of audyssey?

Thanks

MIchael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemafreak1 View Post

Hello,

Just got a PB 2000 SVS sub and ran audyssey last night. And it chose aweful settings, had to switch speakers to small and move the crossover from 40 to 80. And the speaker and woofer levels are all over the place. Would it be worth getting a SPL Meter to confirm accuracy of audyssey?

Thanks

MIchael

If you have a laptop I would recommend getting a mic instead but a spl meter is worth it just not as accurate as a calibrated microphone with room EQ wizard (REW ) for about the same price
post #3 of 5 Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Btw audyssey sets nothing, its the avr that sets those crossovers based on a 75 db sweep tone( the testing chrips it does) and at 75 db your speakers play down that low, but as you increase the level they cant keep up so thats why you crossover at a higher point
post #4 of 5 Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I personally would not bother with an SPL meter. I have one, and used to use it (before I had a receiver with an automatic setup; it was useful and good then). The things that automatic setups tend to get right are the things for which meters are needed, and the things the automatic setups tend to get wrong are the things that are easy to set without a meter. You can easily set the speakers to small and set the crossover point yourself based on the frequency response of the non-subwoofer speakers; no meter is necessary for that. Automatic setups typically get levels and delays (AKA distances) right, assuming one has set the microphone in accordance with the directions in the manual (and assuming you don't have extreme problems with incorrect speaker placement or acoustics). And if you set your microphone wrong, a manual setup with an SPL meter will be wrong, too. The microphone has to be in the right place, correctly oriented, for either automatic or manual setup, or the results will be off.

Now, if you want to get fancy with playing with the EQ of the system yourself, then a microphone and a laptop with the appropriate software would likely be what you would want. But we are not then talking about just an SPL meter.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

I personally would not bother with an SPL meter. I have one, and used to use it (before I had a receiver with an automatic setup; it was useful and good then). The things that automatic setups tend to get right are the things for which meters are needed, and the things the automatic setups tend to get wrong are the things that are easy to set without a meter. You can easily set the speakers to small and set the crossover point yourself based on the frequency response of the non-subwoofer speakers; no meter is necessary for that. Automatic setups typically get levels and delays (AKA distances) right, assuming one has set the microphone in accordance with the directions in the manual (and assuming you don't have extreme problems with incorrect speaker placement or acoustics). And if you set your microphone wrong, a manual setup with an SPL meter will be wrong, too. The microphone has to be in the right place, correctly oriented, for either automatic or manual setup, or the results will be off.

Now, if you want to get fancy with playing with the EQ of the system yourself, then a microphone and a laptop with the appropriate software would likely be what you would want. But we are not then talking about just an SPL meter.

I would still recommend a spl meter if its that or nothing, he has no sub eq with multi eq so just being able to manually flatten his response would be a big help
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page