Small wall/ceiling mounted speakers to replace Polk Monitor 50s? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello!

I'm hoping someone may have a suggestion for me. I've been happily using a pair of Polk Monitor 50s as my front left and right in a 7.1 setup. I've got a Polk CS2 center channel and four Mirage Nanosats as my rear four channels. The sub is a Polk PSW12. Anyway, some remodeling + the addition of two toddlers to the family since I got the towers means they have to go, at least temporarily, and be replaced with something I can mount very close to the ceiling (can't stick down more than about 8-10") or on the wall close to the ceiling. A doorway means I can't mount a typical bookshelf speaker unless I turn it sideways (in other words, there's only about 8" of wall there, like over a typical door). 

I always really liked the decent mid-bass I got from the Monitor 50s running them "full", but I realize I'm probably going to have to run something crossed over with the sub the way the nanosats are. I would like, however, to try to get my front and left channel a bit larger than a typical satellite because I usually like a slightly larger driver there for music.

Finally, to add to the difficulty level - my wife would prefer something white if possible.

Some options I'm considering:

Bose 161s - I know, I know, but the wife likes them and auditioning them, I don't think they'd be any worse than most of the small "satellite" options and would essentially be used that way. Mentioned here because if turned sideways they'd be just about a perfect fit for the spots I have to mount them.

Polk OWM5s - Likewise, they just happen to "fit"

Energy Take I/O 5's - These are indoor/outdoor speakers. I'm having a hard time finding a place to audition them in any sort of "indoor" setup because they're primary sold for outdoor use - but the size, shape, and bracket would make them very easy to mount and they're white. I also figure these speakers appear to be designed to be mounted sideways, so there's less potential for weird effects from the tweeters and mid-range drivers being pointed oddly, etc, when turned.

Polk Atrium 5's - Same as above, essentially.

Two more Mirage Nanosats or Omnisats - I can't find these in white, but at least they would match the rears. Not sure they'll be a satisfying replacement for the monitor 50s though, and then the center might need changing.

Other options, opinions? Budget is 150-300 for the pair. I'm not married to Polk- I tend to like Klipsch and Energy.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Nothing can be ideal with your requirements, but I think sideways bookshelf speakers might be the way to go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTi4-CHERRY-Bookshelf-Speakers-Polk-Audio-NEW-PAIR-/360804038210?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item540198b642
BL44 likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I would take a look at the Wavecrest HLV-1, they are a compact, front ported speaker that can also be oriented horizontally and are 7" wide. You can get 2 for $230 or 3 for $335, and the designer is affiliated with Ascend, a very well liked speaker manufacturer.

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair
BL44 likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #4 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Look at the Focal Sib > the stand also doubles as a mount
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalsibprwht/focal-sib-5-2-way-satellite-loudspeakers-pair-white/1.html
BL44 likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would take a look at the Wavecrest HLV-1, they are a compact, front ported speaker that can also be oriented horizontally and are 7" wide. You can get 2 for $230 or 3 for $335, and the designer is affiliated with Ascend, a very well liked speaker manufacturer.

Interesting! I had shied away from a real "bookshelf" because I'm not sure how to mount them, but these might tempt me to get creative. My primary concern is that I think I'd have to put screws into the cabinets to mount these horizontally above the door, which seems like sacrilege apart from probably having an effect on the sound..

..but that would be light-years better than putting up those 161s. 

post #6 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL44 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Interesting! I had shied away from a real "bookshelf" because I'm not sure how to mount them, but these might tempt me to get creative. My primary concern is that I think I'd have to put screws into the cabinets to mount these horizontally above the door, which seems like sacrilege apart from probably having an effect on the sound..

The Polks to which I provided a link are also mountable. The "power port" on the back gives one extra options. Having said that, since I have not heard these other speakers, I cannot say how they compare.
BL44 likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL44 View Post

No need for screws, you can use these: http://www.standsandmounts.com/sanusspeakerwallmountsforlargerbookshelfspeakersblackwms-2.aspx

Lay the speaker on it's side, and then clamp it in place. It supports 15 pound speakers, the HLV-1 is 12 pounds, and extends up to 11", the HLV-1 is 9.5" deep.

An alternative is the NHT Super Zero. It is small enough to be placed vertically in that space and has a keyhole on the back for easy mounting. http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-1?sc=12&category=3772
BL44 likes this.

Living Room

Computer
post #8 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

So I've done a ton of reading and tried some things since I first posted this. Now that I know better, dear god, what was I thinking!?

Anyway, being an engineer by trade (though not an audio engineer by any means) I've been digging into everything I can get my hands on and doing physical space measurements and paper simulations and.. gah, it's just getting to the point that I need to stop thinking about it and get something up so I can start listening to it :)

Here's what I've determined- I can't fit 12" vertically or people will bump their head on them. I tried this by putting up some 12" speakers and trying to live with them there.. and I kept hitting my head on them. Bummer :/ Also, in another thread, I discovered I really like horn tweeters. 

So I'm down to:

Klipsch RB-41s 

HSU HB-1's mounted sideways, tweeter in, with the tweeter turned 90 degrees.

I can't decide if it makes sense to accept the off-axis lobing I'd get with the HB-1's turned sideways in exchange for the greater frequency response of the larger mid-range driver. Since these are the front channel speakers, does time alignment trump frequency response?

Thoughts?

(BTW, thanks to all of you who have responded in this thread and in others. I've been entertained for weeks. :) )

post #9 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not just go with the HSU HC-1 instead? It is designed to be oriented horizontally, and will still work well as L and R. And having three matching front speakers is the most ideal setup. Arnyk on this forum uses three Infinity PC351 mounted up on a soffit and has had good results.

Living Room

Computer
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page