$500 - Parties - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, my name is Paul and I've been researching like a mad man trying to find the best speakers I can get in my price range, until finally deciding to ask you guys for some advice. I can't spend more than around $500. I am not an audiophile but I definitely appreciate good sounding audio and want to get the best that I can. I will be using these speakers to play music from my iPhone, preferably wirelessly, and if not, I'm sure I could just use some sort of separate wifi / bluetooth device to allow my phone to have wireless control. I listen to bass heavy music, so a strong bass is very important. I will be using these in the living room, backyard, and at friends houses this summer but will be only in a small apartment in a few months, so portability to some extend would be nice, but not if it sacrifices performance. They will mostly be used to play music for small parties or just while hanging out in the backyard with my friends. However, since I will soon be moving into an apartment complex, I won't be able to turn it up too loud without disturbing the neighbors.

Speakers that I have considered so far are two Pasce Minirigs + the subwoofer, the sony portable party system, sharp gx-m10, the klipsch kmc 3, and the beats by dre beatbox portable. These are all for the most part either small or single units to allow for easier transport between different environments, although ultimately at the end of the next few months they will be only in my apartment. I don't know anything about speaker systems and not sure how much work/wiring is involved in setting up multiple speakers instead, although they apparently will offer a much better sound. I would greatly appreciate any advice/insight. Thank you !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I would buy a couple of these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-8--Generation-3-109270884-i3141606.gc

They will get loud, have decent bass for a bookshelf, and you won't need an amp to power them. You can run a 3.5mm stereo cable to RCA from your iPhone to the speakers.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 03-27-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 205
It sounds like you just want an battery powered ipod dock. Pick what ever one you want from there. Might want to look at the Peachtree Audio Deepblue too.

But if have access to a power plug in. Maybe the Fender Passport 300 Pro Portable PA System would be the best option if you are a big outdoor partier
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I've heard KRK makes quality products. It may not be recommended, but is it possible to purchase a separate device that will allow me to control these from my phone via  WiFi/Bluetooth/Airplay?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkpdp View Post

Thank you. I've heard KRK makes quality products. It may not be recommended, but is it possible to purchase a separate device that will allow me to control these from my phone via  WiFi/Bluetooth/Airplay?

Yeah, pick up one of these: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Wireless/W2-Wireless-Adapter-for-iPod

You plug it in to an outlet and to your speakers, and then the other end plugs into your iPod/iPhone and you can stream music to the speakers.

You will need a lightning adapter for the new iPhone 5 though.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the quick and helpful response. One last, and stupid question. You said the speakers will not need to be powered by an amp. But I will still have to plug each speaker into an outlet, right? And will I need to purchase anything separately to connect the two speakers together?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for the quick and helpful response. One last, and stupid question. You said the speakers will not need to be powered by an amp. But I will still have to plug each speaker into an outlet, right? And will I need to purchase anything separately to connect the two speakers together?

Yes each speaker will come with a power cord that needs to be plugged in. What you will need to do is take the RCA cable and split it so the L and R cables go to their respective speaker. Some powered speakers have a connector cable, and one set of inputs, but these KRKs are independent and each speaker needs an input.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Do you know anything about the Rocki ? I ask only because it's rechargeable and seems like it'd be easier.  http://www.myrocki.com/#preorder

Old 03-27-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Do you know anything about the Rocki ? I ask only because it's rechargeable and seems like it'd be easier.  http://www.myrocki.com/#preorder
Yeah but you will still need power for the speakers. And with the ones suggested above you will need a power outlet per speaker.

It would work I am guessing that product is way to new to comment on fully but all you would need is a RCA-3.5mm cable split the RCA cable so one get one input the other gets the other RCA input plug the 3.5mm into your Roki and then do that. It also uses wifi. I am more of a fan of bluetooth cause that means I don't have to be around a wifi source to use my wireless speakers. They say bluetooth keeps you in the same room. I have gone upstairs connected to my bluetooth speaker and it was still playing music down stairs.

Personally I would look towards a wireless bluetooth speaker setup like the Peachtree Audio speaker. You can control the audio easily from your iPhone. No third party app needed. You want louder turn up your iPhone. you want to skip the track skip it.