Center Speaker and Receiver problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hope this is the right thread for this... I am having 2 problems... first, it seems like every center speaker I have tried lately has a very directional canned sound (by that I mean my eyes want to look at the speaker its not filling the room as if it is coming from the picture)... I have a small living room 12x12 no matter where I put it, under the TV in front of, or right above, although so far the best sound has been behind the TV and above it, my TV sets somewhat low so this puts the center just above ear level and almost equal height as my fronts... I have tried 4 different centers (none of which are known for there superb sound so I know thats part of the problem)  they are:

JBL S Center

Polk TSX150

JBL Northridge EC25

Energy Take Classic

My receiver is a Yamaha RX V465... I am not worried about Timbre matching because I use my fronts (Polk RT2000i's) a lot of the time for music... I started playing with my receivers GEQ and can get somewhat decent sound just by adjusting it to what sounds good to me, but none of them sound smooth and room filling... So I guess my question is, have any of you encountered this problem, or can you suggest a center speaker that can do what I want it too?

Now as far as my second problem... for some reason my receiver shuts off during loud actions sequences but only when it is encoding Dolby True HD... I can play a movie with DTS HD MASTER as loud as I want and nothing, but when I watch something in DTHD eventually it shuts off... this is a strange problem and any input regarding both problems would be much appreciated... 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-27-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
You running a different crossover for each speaker?

Have you run YPAO with all these speakers individually?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think my receiver is capable of running the ypao individually... The crossover is set to 120hz and the speakers are set to small
post #4 of 6 Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjones007 View Post

I don't think my receiver is capable of running the ypao individually... The crossover is set to 110hz and the speakers are set to small
What I mean individually is that each time you switched the center did you re-run YPAO

Crossover is a bit high for some of those speakers
JBL S Center - Should be 80hz

Polk TSX150 - Should be 80hz

JBL Northridge EC25 - Should be 80hz

Energy Take Classic - Should be 120hz

If any of the speakers are rear ported make sure there is room behind the rear port to breathe like 3-5inches
post #5 of 6 Old 03-27-2014, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, yes I reran the ypao each time, I also ran it on each setting for each one I.e. flat, normal, front... I also kept the crossover set to 120hz because I am using the take classic surrounds... Although I can't tell a difference between 80hz and 120hz
post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjones007 View Post

Oh, yes I reran the ypao each time, I also ran it on each setting for each one I.e. flat, normal, front... I also kept the crossover set to 120hz because I am using the take classic surrounds... Although I can't tell a difference between 80hz and 120hz

Maybe its's your room, or your receiver. For the larger fronts you need an 80hz crossover

I had small satelite speakers with larger speakers upfront for awhile. I just ran 80hz crossover as I could only set one. It was fine.

By using the higher crossover you are making the speaker have a canny sound.

A matching center might help
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page