KRK Rockits - which size - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, after much research in my search for speakers, I was advised by a member of this forum to purchase KRK Rockits G3s. But now the question that I am wondering is, which size speaker will be appropriate for my needs. I assume that regardless of size I should purchase two speakers so that I have stereo sound. I realize that a larger speaker will be louder and have more bass. However, I have no knowledge or experience and have no way to listen to them before purchase.

They will be used in a 1,200 square foot apartment, and a  living room/kitchen and backyard in a separate home over the summer.  I will be using them during small parties / gatherings (5-15 people). However, due to neighbors in both the apartment and in the backyard I will not be cranking up the volume to it's maximum potential, but I want to be able to enjoy loud, bassy music when I can (which will be when I'm indoors in the summer house). I will be playing music from my iPhone. I'm considering either the 5, 6, or 8 inch models. I have listened to nearly every available video on Youtube but the majority of people are recording with poor cameras/mics that don't properly capture the sound. I realize this may be personal preference but as I said I don't believe I have any nearby stores that sell these speakers so I won't be able to listen to them, so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Never NEVER EVER use youtube as away to demo speakers. You will not get any where close to the actual sound of the speaker. Cause their mic might be different, then part of audio is lost when the video is upload and then it has to come through your speakers and head phone.

You want to listen to these speakers I would go to your local guitar center and listen to them. They have many studio monitor speakers available.

Now Studio Monitors are meant for near field listing like you are siting at the sound board with the speaker 3ft to each ear. They are also meant to have an extremely flat response to illustrate problems in the audio recorded so the engineer can then fiddle with the board to fix the sound. They aren't meant to be party speakers at all really.

If you can afford the 8's go with the 8's

Why are you looking at Studio Monitors for speakers?

Are you only ever planning to use these speakers for one purpose only?

In your backyard where you are hooking the speakers up do you have 2 electrical outlets?
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I will have 2 electrical outlets in the backyard. I am only planning on using these speakers for one purpose when I live in my small apartment, which will be year round excluding 3 months in the summer (may, june, july). I am looking at studio monitors for speakers simply because I was advised by someone on this forum, who probably has a lot more knowledge than me. I researched many other sorts of speakers but was unable to come up with a conclusive answer. I've heard KRK makes quality speakers, and apparently these have good bass, so I don't see why they wouldn't be a viable option. I know studio monitors are meant to have a flat response but from what I've learned, these KRK Rockits have a nice low end and I have the ability to tweak it further not only on the speaker itself but from an equalizer type app from my phone. It's always nice to spend less money especially if it's on a speaker that I will not be using to it's full potential. However, I will be able to afford the 8's, so I suppose it will be worth the investment. Are there some other speakers that are not studio monitors that you would recommend?

post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

These speakers will have a limited use for the future. So that $500 will be good and gone and there is no room for improvement of the sound in the future. In your situation I would get a receiver and then Bookshelf speakers. That way you can use it for more than just music in the future. To build a surround sound, add a subwoofer. use the speakers with the TV, game system or blu-ray.

The KRK's would work for you just a limited use.

I have used Logietech THX and Klipsch THX 2.1 speakers for parties in my apartment and in outside. The ease of use was nice especially with all the moving around just didn't have block party volume though but plenty for background music. This was before my surround sound.

One outdoor party I was at had Fender Passport 150's and the speakers were shockingly good outside at a party with 20-30 people and had plenty of volume. They were easy to set-up and easy to move around too
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I see what you're saying and I understand. The Klipsch 2.1 speakers look nice. However, they are "computer speakers", would I have any issues using them with my iPhone instead? I'm not sure if they qualify as bookshelf speakers, so i wouldn't need a receiver for them? As you can see I literally know nothing, but am trying to research and learn on my own.

I forgot to add that wireless control from my iphone is a must. There are a newer wireless version of these speakers, and apparently they require a usb dongle to work that way, so a phone would not work. However, I'm not sure if there are inputs on the back of the speaker/sub that are compatible with other WiFi/Bluetooth adapters.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkpdp View Post

I see what you're saying and I understand. The Klipsch 2.1 speakers look nice. However, they are "computer speakers", would I have any issues using them with my iPhone instead? I'm not sure if they qualify as bookshelf speakers, so i wouldn't need a receiver for them? As you can see I literally know nothing, but am trying to research and learn on my own.

I forgot to add that wireless control from my iphone is a must. There are a newer wireless version of these speakers, and apparently they require a usb dongle to work that way, so a phone would not work. However, I'm not sure if there are inputs on the back of the speaker/sub that are compatible with other WiFi/Bluetooth adapters.
Bookshelfs would require an amp. Something like this has a bluetooth connectability (http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp7498e-200w-class-d-digital-amplifier-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--310-298). Or this one (http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800) with a external bluetooth adapter

well the Roki thing you mentioned in your other thread. Or maybe a bluetooth adpater (http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver-Adapter-Speakers/dp/B00BT9MUJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396114552&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+speakers) -or- (http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Bluetooth-Receiver-Adapter-Speaker/dp/B00ANDHBNS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396114552&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+speakers)

With Bluetooth connection you are able to connect your iPhone through Bluetooth meaning you can run the audio on your iPhone. The trick is turning the volume up on the speakers, and turn the volume on your iPhone when its connected through bluetooth. That way turning the volume up on your iPhone acts like you are turning up the speakers. Play music that is on your iPhone, or through your Pandora app or spotify app.

The computer speakers have a 3.5mm connector (pretty much like your headphone connector.)

These are the Klipsch Computer Speakers I was refering too http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
post #7 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again. I've been researching the those Klipsch speakers and what I've read is that they sound great for PC speakers of that price, but bookshelf speakers of a similar price would sound a lot better. But this would require me to purchase a separate sub and an amp. With my budget at $500, do you think I would be able to find a pair of bookshelf speakers plus a sub and an amp that would sound noticeably better than the Klipsch Promedias? Would it sound better enough to justify the difference in price, and to untrained ears? Also, I'd like to point out again that the music will be off of an iPhone and will be primarily hip hop and electronic dance.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Infinity Primus P163's Book Shelfs at $80/each shipped are a great deal. $160 for those. Plus around $115 for an amp with bluetooth built in or amp with external Bluetooth adapter brings your total around $300 with speaker wire and banana plugs(This will make it easier when you go to move your system around).

And you won't really need to cart around a subwoofer when you go outside, but you could if you like but not necessary. $200 of the money left on the subwoofer would be plenty. But I personally wouldn't suggest bring it outside. Subwoofers to look at are the Polk PSW505, Bic F12, BIC Venturi V1020, or Dayton Sub-1200(Except the Dayton doesn't accept bananplugs but that shouldn't matter in the long run, there are ways around it but its easier with them if you plan on moving your system around alot)

Also these speakers will allow for an upgrade in the future to use as surrounds or fronts in a potential surround sound if you go that way in the future.

Infinity Primus speakers are amazing speakers for the money IMHO and the many members here.

P163's with Polk PSW505 will out perform the computer speakers by a long shot
post #9 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I really, really appreciate your help. It must be annoying when people such as myself come to this forum with no knowledge at all but I'm really glad that you were so helpful. Just to be clear, I will be buying the speakers, amp, subwoofer, and I won't need to purchase anything else besides speaker wire and banana plugs to get everything up and running?   And either of those amps you posted will be fine for this setup?

post #10 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Well banana plugs aren't necessary they just make quick connecting easy if you are moving them around. I don't use them personally but my speakers don't move around.

All you need is the speakers, amp, Speaker wire, and maybe a 3.5mm to 3.5mm auxiliary cable to start first.

If you need help on how to set this stuff up feel free to post a question about in a new thread or post it here and me or other members will help. It might be complicated but pretty easy to explain after so many years
post #11 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

P163's with Polk PSW505 will out perform the computer speakers by a long shot

Having heard the KRKs and owning some pairs of Primuses, (362s, 162s, 153s), I'm not sure I would agree with this statement. The Primus speakers are a terrific value at their sale price, but I think I would go for some KRKs over them. Its hard for me to say what would be better for the OP. Studio monitors will have much tighter bass than any subwoofer within his budget, but a sub would have a lot more bass output certainly. If the OP isn't concerned about bass definition, a Primus/Dayton subs setup makes sense. I would go for two subs in a setup like that. For the same price as the KRKs, you could get JBL LSRs, which is probably how I would swing. Actually, at a $500 budget I would go for some Mackie MR8s.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Except he isn't using the speakers for studio monitors. I have found that most studio monitors have a very narrow sweet spot which doesn't make them good party speakers. Also that statement was referring to the THX computer speakers. I am looking for the OP's needs and a better ease of use. Studio monitors for what he wants todo while an option they are far from the best. That's why I was making the recommendation I did

Well he isn't talking about near field music listening the primus with the psw505 will be astonishingly good and offer more bass and volume than studio monitors with a larger sweet spot. He is not using these speakers to mix sound. If he was studio monitors would be the suggestion.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Except he isn't using the speakers for studio monitors. I have found that most studio monitors have a very narrow sweet spot which doesn't make them good party speakers. Also that statement was referring to the THX computer speakers. I am looking for the OP's needs and a better ease of use. Studio monitors for what he wants todo while an option they are far from the best. That's why I was making the recommendation I did

Well he isn't talking about near field music listening the primus with the psw505 will be astonishingly good and offer more bass and volume than studio monitors with a larger sweet spot. He is not using these speakers to mix sound. If he was studio monitors would be the suggestion.

The dispersion on well-designed studio monitors is going to be very good, although I don't know about the KRKs specifically. A decent studio monitor won't suffer from a small sweet spot any more than any other speaker, which would be dependent on the off-axis response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page