Two Sets In Stereo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the interesting Forum.

My system has speakers hooked up to both the A & B options. JBL G300(3 way) & Def Tech SM45(2 way). 

It turns out that when both sets of Spkrs are used( creating a 5-way system), the loudness can be dispensed with in most cases. If there is no bass, the Loudness function on my Denon 395 is employed & one will usually will sound better than the other. I have found having 2 sets of spkrs to be very valuable. 

The speakers are set in a 150--160 configuration for full stereo dynamics with no sub-woofer needed. The DT's claim 35 Low & from what i can tell it is almost true.   I have never understood the 'sound stage' philosophy of setting spkrs at 60-70 degrees. 

BTW--- thanks for the Avatar

Buon Jour 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-29-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 166
What amp/receiver are you using?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-29-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. I am using Denon DRA-395

post #4 of 17 Old 03-29-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Two sets of stereo speakers, in the same room would sound awful.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 17 Old 03-29-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Yes. I'm not sure why you would want to use two pairs of speakers in a stereo configuration. I could see using one pair at a time if you preferred a certain speaker's sound for particular styles of music or for comparing speakers but that's about it.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #6 of 17 Old 03-30-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Something tells me that you guys have never actually tried this. It creates a 5 way-- 4 ohm system & the result covers all the bases so to speak. IOW--- the crossovers are in different places & one set covers for the other. I have not noticed one set getting in the way of the other. 

I only need to use my Loudness function about 25% of the time now. If there is no Bass then I go to one or the other with the L on. In a few cases i need to use L AND both sets. 

Dead Mans Curve

Eleanor Rigby

Darlin'(live)

Its Not Unusual

Walk Dont Run

Another Girl

Shes A Fool

White Room

When the L is needed, in Most cases one set does sound better than the other but this varies from track to track. I highly recommend having the option of a 2 or 3 or 5 way(4 ohm) system. 

BTW-- it seems i can only reply to this topic by access through my emails. I can't find it posted when going to the Forum itself. 

Thanks for replies

post #7 of 17 Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well you cant be the only who have tried.
The reason not much do this type of set up is because with two pair of speaker, you will gave misnatch timber. It will creat cancelation in frequencies.
Also i dont understand your setting about 150-160. Are you refering to high pass?
Also, your DT definetely dont dig down to 35. DT and GE are know to misleed their spec by not showing the range. With that standard, any speaker will dig down to 20hz.
The only thing you get with your set up is loudness/lousiness and the higher risk to fried your amp or going to protection mode.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe50 View Post

It creates a 5 way
No it doesn't. The speakers bandwidths overlap.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-31-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have tried running two sets of speakers at once and I will say it does not sound awful at all. With that being said I only did this to see what it sounds like, I never "listen" to my system for more then a minute like this.
I run sealed bookshelves and ported towers on A/B. I did use the small sealed speakers as my back channel for my SACD's but for a few months I moved them up to the front to test how they sound as a main channel.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

Well you cant be the only who have tried.
The reason not much do this type of set up is because with two pair of speaker, you will gave misnatch timber. It will creat cancelation in frequencies.
Also i dont understand your setting about 150-160. Are you refering to high pass?
Also, your DT definetely dont dig down to 35. DT and GE are know to misleed their spec by not showing the range. With that standard, any speaker will dig down to 20hz.
The only thing you get with your set up is loudness/lousiness and the higher risk to fried your amp or going to protection mode.

I got the idea to try this because of reading somewhere about better Sound Without L  so i tried it like that with both sets hot just to see what would happen. To my surprise the 4 ohm A/B set-up works out for about half of what is in my library w/o any loss of quality that i can tell.  In at least a few cases it is better. Thanks for comment that this technique doesn't  sound awful at all.  For anyone who hasn't actually heard this set-up i would suggest experimenting for your self. 

By 150 is meant degrees the speakers are separated for full stereo dynamics. This cannot be achieved when using what seems to be the traditional 60- 70 degree 'soundstage' configuration. As for the DT's. they seem to go easily below 40 on some things. The Jbl's only claim 50 but i can get below for with them on some things as well; As said above L is Almost always needed when using only one pair. The 2 0f them together w/o L are definetely capable of 35.

I really no comprende what you mean by standard & digging down to 20. 

Thanks for replies.

post #11 of 17 Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Something tells me that you guys have never actually tried this. It creates a 5 way-- 4 ohm system & the result covers all the bases so to speak. IOW--- the crossovers are in different places & one set covers for the other. I have not noticed one set getting in the way of the other. 

I only need to use my Loudness function about 25% of the time now. If there is no Bass then I go to one or the other with the L on. In a few cases i need to use L AND both sets. 

Dead Mans Curve
Eleanor Rigby
Darlin'(live)
Its Not Unusual
Walk Dont Run
Another Girl
Shes A Fool
White Room

When the L is needed, in Most cases one set does sound better than the other but this varies from track to track. I highly recommend having the option of a 2 or 3 or 5 way(4 ohm) system. 

BTW-- it seems i can only reply to this topic by access through my emails. I can't find it posted when going to the Forum itself. 

Thanks for replies

Actually, I have tried it a number of times with different setups.

post #12 of 17 Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

And.........

post #13 of 17 Old 04-01-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

It only sounds decent if the speakers are timbre matched IMO.

post #14 of 17 Old 04-01-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

With my set-up each track has a different settings(B T L)  & speaker ( A B AB combinations). I have about 5 options to try & get the most out of a track. I begin by looking for big enough bass w/o L. This Cannot be done w/o both spkers. 

If there is not enough bass then the L goes on & the JBL's. lf there is still not enough bass then the DT's come on. If that doesn't work then both sets With L on as well. 

The 2 sets of spkrs seem to be very compatible. My theory is that since the crossovers are at different levels, then one set is covering for the other at certain times & the result is something like a psuedo 5 -- way system. 

The result is unique in many cases. 

post #15 of 17 Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

BTW--- I listen at very moderate levels with spkrs almost 5' distant in a dead room. 

Thanks for replies

post #16 of 17 Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

The objections to this method have been noted & are not w/ o merit in some cases. 

There are some tracks where the vocals are bad in places. I tried those over with only one set w/ L & the prob was gone. There seem to be only 4 or 5 like that however. 

post #17 of 17 Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

The objections to this method have been noted & are not w/ o merit in some cases. 

There are some tracks where the vocals are bad in places. I tried those over with only one set w/ L & the prob was gone. There seem to be only 4 or 5 like that however. 

You certainly can gain something from running a pairs of speakers, for example loudness. Noticed how clubs dont have a pair of speakers but numerous of speakers around? Same idea. Just like in you car, you will have multiple speakers as well.
But a properly set up and good speaker can give you the perception of good sound where instruments are well seperated , vocals from center. Try to run a pair of speakers with no toe in, seat in the center to see if you can hear the vocal comming from the center while the instruments are comming from other area. Is like not hearing your speakers, sort of your speaker dissapears. If you can get that, then i would say you have at least a a very decent speaker and set up.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page