post #91 of 101 Old 05-09-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

Here's a really brief review (more a new item) on the 683 S2 floorstanders from Audio-T:

600 S2 Series Arrives at Audio-T

I don't necessarily trust it - it's more of a news article, and they sell speakers, so I can't imagine they are very independent...
I listen to 683S2 the other day they sound much better now they are now broken in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

I listen to 683S2 the other day they sound much better now they are now broken in.

What has improved? Bass response? All around?

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #93 of 101 Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

What has improved? Bass response? All around?
All around and little more clarity
post #94 of 101 Old 05-26-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I own two 685 S1's and have been looking to buy the HTM62 for ages... Now that the HTM62 S2 has come out which would be the best choice to get to match the 685 S1's. The HTM62 S1 or the HTM62 S2?

Any input welcome, thanks!
post #95 of 101 Old 05-26-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch666 View Post

Hi,

I own two 685 S1's and have been looking to buy the HTM62 for ages... Now that the HTM62 S2 has come out which would be the best choice to get to match the 685 S1's. The HTM62 S1 or the HTM62 S2?

Any input welcome, thanks!
The S2
post #96 of 101 Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 AM

Thanks for your answer Chise, but I was perhaps hoping for a bit more technically detailed answer. So if anyone has any further input I would be very thankful.
post #97 of 101 Old 05-28-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 316
The HTM62 S2 or the HTM61 S2 are more similar to the CM centers. In my experience, the CM centers match fairly well with the 600 bookshelf speakers. Furthermore, the HTM62 S2 is slightly more sensitive at 87 dB versus 85 dB and the minimum impedance is listed at 5.2 ohms. Looking at these stats it should be easier to drive than the HTM62 S1.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #98 of 101 Old 06-05-2014, 06:16 AM

I have recently posted a review of my B&W 686 S2 but I am unable to post a link here.

A search for Bowers and Wilkins 686 S2 Review robmoores1 will bring the review up (wordpress) in Google.

Cheers,

Rob
post #99 of 101 Old 06-11-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbym1969 View Post
I have recently posted a review of my B&W 686 S2 but I am unable to post a link here.

A search for Bowers and Wilkins 686 S2 Review robmoores1 will bring the review up (wordpress) in Google.

Cheers,

Rob
I'll post the link!

http://robmoores1.wordpress.com/2014...-small-is-big/

Thanks for mentioning it!

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
post #100 of 101 Old 07-13-2014, 05:13 PM

Liked: 0
I have also had the opportunity to sample the new 600 s2 line Was interested in between the 685 and 686. They were great i have to say. I have to consider the cost of ownership in my next speaker upgrade. For a full on upgrade to drive them right would have to get new complete setup counting the subwoofer. That would possible put me back 25-3500k. I really believe the concept of the ideal sound is much rooted in science as it is especially in the experience or shall i say it more technically "Psychoacoustics" We may in general be able to hear the same range as human beings but keep in mind our life styles and hearing capability vary..
A lot of people may or may not agree with that its my opinion. Considering what i have is pretty stock all considering im looking at all my options based on cost room.. I will say this though there are great expeiences to be had with B&W i dont hate bose. Do they have the same build not at all. Is their frequency range on par who truly knows specs arent provided lol. I just think i you like what you hear go with it just keep in mind like many audiophiles do tend to get to buried in the science of it all and forget just to take a moment and enjoy the sound. I'd say im somewhere in between. I value the science but Ill always value the experience of sound itself more. An example of tha is i have the P7 headphones from B&W. In my opinion they are simply magical i can put them on close my eyes and experience a great listening session to all types of genres i listen to. Enjoy my videogames or even movies. In those moments I dont concern myself with the numbers do i own a portable dac? No I plug them in to an iphone or ipad and enjoy myself. In closing to this opinion. I from my experience of sampling them would highly recommend any of the 600 line. Just dont get too crazy on the science of an" audiophile " but enjoy the experience of sound they recreate .
post #101 of 101 Unread Yesterday, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven OConnor View Post
I have also had the opportunity to sample the new 600 s2 line Was interested in between the 685 and 686. They were great i have to say. I have to consider the cost of ownership in my next speaker upgrade. For a full on upgrade to drive them right would have to get new complete setup counting the subwoofer. That would possible put me back 25-3500k. I really believe the concept of the ideal sound is much rooted in science as it is especially in the experience or shall i say it more technically "Psychoacoustics" We may in general be able to hear the same range as human beings but keep in mind our life styles and hearing capability vary..
...<snip>... [/B]
Thanks for your comments on the speakers - I'll have to try those headphones too. I purchased some Infinity P363 L/R speakers and the Infinity PC351 center. Stuck it into my dad's theater (since mine isn't done) and have been listening to them there on a pretty old Onkyo 90 WPC receiver. They sounded pretty bad at first, but after a couple months the bass has really opened up and I like the sound quite a bit. This is coming from essentially nothing...

I had a transcendental B&W 600 series and CM series experience at a local audio dealer - the reason I started this thread - I just like the B&W tonality.

But back to your comment about liking what you hear and not getting caught up in the science. If my ears can't hear a difference between the Infinity's and the new 600 series when I try them again - I can save a few hundred dollars and just keep them. I figure my ears will have to be pretty bad not to like the B&W better - but again I'm going for my ears first and will probably leave the science out of it.

If I can't tell I'll buy one or two (looking at some other brands also) brands and audition in my basement where I can really compare apples to apples.

Some day my theater will be ready... then the fun of selecting speakers & components!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List