post #91 of 118 Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

Here's a really brief review (more a new item) on the 683 S2 floorstanders from Audio-T:

600 S2 Series Arrives at Audio-T

I don't necessarily trust it - it's more of a news article, and they sell speakers, so I can't imagine they are very independent...
I listen to 683S2 the other day they sound much better now they are now broken in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

I listen to 683S2 the other day they sound much better now they are now broken in.

What has improved? Bass response? All around?

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #93 of 118 Old 05-23-2014, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

What has improved? Bass response? All around?
All around and little more clarity
post #94 of 118 Old 05-26-2014, 06:36 AM

Liked: 15
Hi,

I own two 685 S1's and have been looking to buy the HTM62 for ages... Now that the HTM62 S2 has come out which would be the best choice to get to match the 685 S1's. The HTM62 S1 or the HTM62 S2?

Any input welcome, thanks!
post #95 of 118 Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch666 View Post

Hi,

I own two 685 S1's and have been looking to buy the HTM62 for ages... Now that the HTM62 S2 has come out which would be the best choice to get to match the 685 S1's. The HTM62 S1 or the HTM62 S2?

The S2
post #96 of 118 Old 05-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Thanks for your answer Chise, but I was perhaps hoping for a bit more technically detailed answer. So if anyone has any further input I would be very thankful.
post #97 of 118 Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 532
The HTM62 S2 or the HTM61 S2 are more similar to the CM centers. In my experience, the CM centers match fairly well with the 600 bookshelf speakers. Furthermore, the HTM62 S2 is slightly more sensitive at 87 dB versus 85 dB and the minimum impedance is listed at 5.2 ohms. Looking at these stats it should be easier to drive than the HTM62 S1.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #98 of 118 Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have recently posted a review of my B&W 686 S2 but I am unable to post a link here.

A search for Bowers and Wilkins 686 S2 Review robmoores1 will bring the review up (wordpress) in Google.

Cheers,

Rob
post #99 of 118 Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbym1969 View Post
I have recently posted a review of my B&W 686 S2 but I am unable to post a link here.

A search for Bowers and Wilkins 686 S2 Review robmoores1 will bring the review up (wordpress) in Google.

Cheers,

Rob
I'll post the link!

http://robmoores1.wordpress.com/2014...-small-is-big/

Thanks for mentioning it!

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
post #100 of 118 Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have also had the opportunity to sample the new 600 s2 line Was interested in between the 685 and 686. They were great i have to say. I have to consider the cost of ownership in my next speaker upgrade. For a full on upgrade to drive them right would have to get new complete setup counting the subwoofer. That would possible put me back 25-3500k. I really believe the concept of the ideal sound is much rooted in science as it is especially in the experience or shall i say it more technically "Psychoacoustics" We may in general be able to hear the same range as human beings but keep in mind our life styles and hearing capability vary..
A lot of people may or may not agree with that its my opinion. Considering what i have is pretty stock all considering im looking at all my options based on cost room.. I will say this though there are great expeiences to be had with B&W i dont hate bose. Do they have the same build not at all. Is their frequency range on par who truly knows specs arent provided lol. I just think i you like what you hear go with it just keep in mind like many audiophiles do tend to get to buried in the science of it all and forget just to take a moment and enjoy the sound. I'd say im somewhere in between. I value the science but Ill always value the experience of sound itself more. An example of tha is i have the P7 headphones from B&W. In my opinion they are simply magical i can put them on close my eyes and experience a great listening session to all types of genres i listen to. Enjoy my videogames or even movies. In those moments I dont concern myself with the numbers do i own a portable dac? No I plug them in to an iphone or ipad and enjoy myself. In closing to this opinion. I from my experience of sampling them would highly recommend any of the 600 line. Just dont get too crazy on the science of an" audiophile " but enjoy the experience of sound they recreate .
post #101 of 118 Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven OConnor View Post
I have also had the opportunity to sample the new 600 s2 line Was interested in between the 685 and 686. They were great i have to say. I have to consider the cost of ownership in my next speaker upgrade. For a full on upgrade to drive them right would have to get new complete setup counting the subwoofer. That would possible put me back 25-3500k. I really believe the concept of the ideal sound is much rooted in science as it is especially in the experience or shall i say it more technically "Psychoacoustics" We may in general be able to hear the same range as human beings but keep in mind our life styles and hearing capability vary..
...<snip>... [/B]
Thanks for your comments on the speakers - I'll have to try those headphones too. I purchased some Infinity P363 L/R speakers and the Infinity PC351 center. Stuck it into my dad's theater (since mine isn't done) and have been listening to them there on a pretty old Onkyo 90 WPC receiver. They sounded pretty bad at first, but after a couple months the bass has really opened up and I like the sound quite a bit. This is coming from essentially nothing...

I had a transcendental B&W 600 series and CM series experience at a local audio dealer - the reason I started this thread - I just like the B&W tonality.

But back to your comment about liking what you hear and not getting caught up in the science. If my ears can't hear a difference between the Infinity's and the new 600 series when I try them again - I can save a few hundred dollars and just keep them. I figure my ears will have to be pretty bad not to like the B&W better - but again I'm going for my ears first and will probably leave the science out of it.

If I can't tell I'll buy one or two (looking at some other brands also) brands and audition in my basement where I can really compare apples to apples.

Some day my theater will be ready... then the fun of selecting speakers & components!

post #102 of 118 Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by danielrg 

Here's a really brief review (more a new item) on the 683 S2 floorstanders from Audio-T:

600 S2 Series Arrives at Audio-T

I don't necessarily trust it - it's more of a news article, and they sell speakers, so I can't imagine they are very independent...

Personally, I think "breaking in" is a load of horse puckey beyond the first hundred hours, and most speakers are pre-broken in from the factory as part of their QA process. So what people are usually calling "breaking in" is just the process of attuning your ear to the speaker, meaning that familiarity breeds favorability and it's an illusion. The first impression you have about a given speaker is probably the most accurate, kind of like the feelings of attraction you get on a first impression. Yeah, that's superficial, but then again speaker performance characteristics isn't particularly deep or mysterious, IMO.

I listened to fully "broken in" 685s2s at a high end retailer with top level rated electronics, that I was ready to buy on the spot, and my god, the midrange was really as muffled and muddy as some of the youtube commenters said it was.

I was shocked and really sad because I was fully ready to jump back into B&W land. I used to love the sound coming out of my DM602s but I guess after owning other speakers in the meanwhile, I've become harder to please.

I suspect that the 683s are cleaner and better than the 685s, but I decided to go with the new JBL studio monitors (LSR308s) for less money. Thanks for answering my questions to all in this thread.

Nothing beats a first hand impression.
post #103 of 118 Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Personally, I think "breaking in" is a load of horse puckey beyond the first hundred hours, and most speakers are pre-broken in from the factory as part of their QA process. So what people are usually calling "breaking in" is just the process of attuning your ear to the speaker, meaning that familiarity breeds favorability and it's an illusion. The first impression you have about a given speaker is probably the most accurate, kind of like the feelings of attraction you get on a first impression. Yeah, that's superficial, but then again speaker performance characteristics isn't particularly deep or mysterious, IMO.

I listened to fully "broken in" 685s2s at a high end retailer with top level rated electronics, that I was ready to buy on the spot, and my god, the midrange was really as muffled and muddy as some of the youtube commenters said it was.

I was shocked and really sad because I was fully ready to jump back into B&W land. I used to love the sound coming out of my DM602s but I guess after owning other speakers in the meanwhile, I've become harder to please.

I suspect that the 683s are cleaner and better than the 685s, but I decided to go with the new JBL studio monitors (LSR308s) for less money. Thanks for answering my questions to all in this thread.

Everybody I know in electronics don't like Bw's so I'm not surprise anymore, it took me 5 receivers before I was happy with my gear.
post #104 of 118 Old 10-28-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by butch666 View Post
Hi,

I also own the series 1 685's ,do yourself a favor and save up for the HTM61 S2 not the HTM62. The difference in dialog clarity is night and day. The HTM61 S2 was the best upgrade I've made.
post #105 of 118 Old 10-28-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
I also own the series 1 685's ,do yourself a favor and save up for the HTM61 S2 not the HTM62. The difference in dialog clarity is night and day. The HTM61 S2 was the best upgrade I've made.
That center channel sound this good CMC2S1
post #106 of 118 Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
Hi rickcfer,

Thanks for your input, but as far as I can read everywhere else on the web, the HTM61 should be a very poor match for the 685's. But I'm guessing these reviews/reports are based on the S1 series, so I'll take your word. For pure space requirements I'm still leaning towards the 62, but I'll definitely take your advice into consideration.

I wonder when I'll actually get around to purchasing something. I've been planning to get a center for more than two years now
post #107 of 118 Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I have pre-order a pair of 685 S2 & HTM 62 speaker after reading input from you guys, love the design & Most imptly it's fit my budget. This is my first high end speakers, don't mind could you advise if Marantz SR6009 suit these beautiful speakers? Based on the brochure, it's recommended amp power is 25W - 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme but ut the Marantz SR6009 power is at 8Ω 110W.

Will these amp overwhelm these speakers? As I read people advising amp should be 10% more than speakers? N it would also be bad for the speaker if it's output is more than amp.

Can any kind soul please advise? I am really confused.

Appreciate with thanks
post #108 of 118 Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
I'll post the link!

Thanks for mentioning it!
Hi Daniel,

I have just pre-ordered a pair of 685 S2 recently, though yet to buy the amp. I have been searching but yet to find a suitable one? Any recommendation in your mind right now? Also does 685 S2 sound muddy as described by other user? Should I upgrade to the CM series?

Appreciate for you kind assistance.

Thank you.

Regards,
Qflight
post #109 of 118 Old 11-21-2014, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qflight View Post
Hi Daniel,

I have just pre-ordered a pair of 685 S2 recently, though yet to buy the amp. I have been searching but yet to find a suitable one? Any recommendation in your mind right now? Also does 685 S2 sound muddy as described by other user? Should I upgrade to the CM series?

Appreciate for you kind assistance.

Thank you.

Regards,
Qflight
I haven't heard the 685 S2 speakers - only the 683 S2, which I really liked. I haven't read any reviews on the 685 S2 that state they are muddy other than the report a few posts above. But really I can't comment. You do need to listen for yourself with the receiver you're thinking of getting.

Marantz 6009 has plenty of power for the 685s and a nice center, and surrounds too. I'm sure it would be a fine pairing, I have read many comments that people like Marantz + B&W. Again listen for yourself - both of these are at Best Buy, for example. Try in your home too.

Speakers are a personal thing. Threads like this help you decide what speakers you want to audition based on what people describe them like. But a thread should never be the last place you look to decide to buy.

Good luck!

post #110 of 118 Old 11-21-2014, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Personally, I think "breaking in" is a load of horse puckey beyond the first hundred hours, and most speakers are pre-broken in from the factory as part of their QA process. So what people are usually calling "breaking in" is just the process of attuning your ear to the speaker, meaning that familiarity breeds favorability and it's an illusion.

Not sure if I agree or not. First hand impression is certainly important in making decisions, but it would seem the long term relationship is best determiner. For me, breaking in for the Infinity speakers really did make a difference in the bass in this instance, it was really night and day. And it was in the first 40 hours or so this happened. I doubt that Infinity, for the price I paid, would waste the time to pre-break in the speakers. For B&W, that might be a different story. I hope so - I'd prefer not to have to deal with break-in and be able to trust a speaker right out. I'm on the fence about the concept of break-in, how long is necessary. But it seems logical to me that drivers could be a little stiff starting out, especially lower end ones.

Do you have any links to youtube video where commenters noted the muffled nature of 685s2, and the youtube reviews you saw? I'm hoping this thread can link to all reviews out there.

post #111 of 118 Old 11-22-2014, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Some more reviews (maybe - I may have posted some of these already):

This seems more like a marketing pitch:

CNET:

CNET - The Full Written Review

HiFi Choice 693 S2 review - except there's no actual review here. But at least you know they reviewed it!

This is a review linked to from B&W themselves - so I don't know how impartial it is.

SoundStage Hi Fi 684S2 review

Andrew Everard Review - Whoever that is.

Sound and Vision Review of 683 S2 based surround system - This is a review worth reading!

686 S2 Review from Blu-Ray Definition.com - One interesting comment: "I have found that the drivers, particularly the woven Kevlar mid or bass units are quite stiff on arrival and require a minimum 100 – 150 hours of break-in before serious listening can start." so there RLBURNSIDE - review did note that sensitivity is a downside with the 686 speakers.

Hi Fi Centre Review

Review (in Dutch) of 685 S2 - Google Translate helps you get the gist of it!

Another review in Dutch?

Any other reviews out there are always welcome!

New CM Series is out!

NEW CM S2 Series - Not the 600 series, but can't help but note there's a new CM S2 series.

An early review of CM6 S2

Last edited by danielrg; 11-22-2014 at 12:20 AM.
post #112 of 118 Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qflight View Post
Hi Daniel,

Should I upgrade to the CM series?
I forgot to respond to this question - if you can afford the CM series, do get them, they are better. It's all about what you can afford. Now the CM Series 2 is out.

I could afford the S2 if I didn't have other priorities, 600 series price range right now is the most I'm willing to pay for speakers.

I did hear the B&W Nautilus speakers at a local dealer the other day. They were AWESOME. I was there with my dad. Funny thing about speakers that nice is that all I could do was criticize the recording's faults, it's so transparent.

post #113 of 118 Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay so ibe recently purchased the 685s2's, asw61, m1 (rears).... I'm torn on the center though... HTM61 is way to big, the HTM62 is just okay... I've been considering the CMCCGB which is the previous gen CM series center 5'.... So clear... Do you guys think it would be so bad to have something that's not in the same series?
post #114 of 118 Old 12-13-2014, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bought some 685's as fronts a year or 2 ago now and didn't get the opportunity until now to start piecing together the rest. Only recently discovered there is now a 2nd series of the 600's and after doing "research" I had the option between the original htm61 as a centre or the new htm62, the htm61 was more expensive and would only JUST fit in my current setup. So I have chosen the new htm62 which as far as I can tell has next to no reviews or impressions floating around for it but I read up on the original one and the htm61. I figure I won't have a large room for my system for quite some time and by all accounts the original htm62 performs as well or better than the 61 unless you are pumping the sound to 11 which I don't. So my thought process was if the original 62 was good then the new one can't be worse. Anyway, it should arrive in the next week so I will drop some thoughts on it when I have it set up. Also, it can't be worse than this single sony speaker I've been using that was taken from my dad's old stereo - it's not bad, just not ideal.

In any case, this thread has informed we well in my decision and I'm excited to join the site and get my speaker soon! Thanks guys.
post #115 of 118 Old 12-13-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh00kie View Post
Bought some 685's as fronts a year or 2 ago now and didn't get the opportunity until now to start piecing together the rest. Only recently discovered there is now a 2nd series of the 600's and after doing "research" I had the option between the original htm61 as a centre or the new htm62, the htm61 was more expensive and would only JUST fit in my current setup. So I have chosen the new htm62 which as far as I can tell has next to no reviews or impressions floating around for it but I read up on the original one and the htm61. I figure I won't have a large room for my system for quite some time and by all accounts the original htm62 performs as well or better than the 61 unless you are pumping the sound to 11 which I don't. So my thought process was if the original 62 was good then the new one can't be worse. Anyway, it should arrive in the next week so I will drop some thoughts on it when I have it set up. Also, it can't be worse than this single sony speaker I've been using that was taken from my dad's old stereo - it's not bad, just not ideal.

In any case, this thread has informed we well in my decision and I'm excited to join the site and get my speaker soon! Thanks guys.
My guess is the the HTM62 s2 should match fairly well with your 685 s1s. The HTM61 s2 is definitely the better center (and more similar to the CM series) but I understand if the space is not available. It will be interesting to hear your impressions.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #116 of 118 Old 12-13-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
My guess is the the HTM62 s2 should match fairly well with your 685 s1s. The HTM61 s2 is definitely the better center (and more similar to the CM series) but I understand if the space is not available. It will be interesting to hear your impressions.
I was going to go with the 61 s2 but it is a couple inches too wide for my space and it was also an extra $400 aus. By the time I have enough space for some CM's, I'll also probably be in a better position to afford them so it all works out.
post #117 of 118 Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh00kie View Post

I'm in the exact same situation as you, only I haven't gotten around to buying the 62 S2 yet... Will be looking forward to your comments :-)
post #118 of 118 Unread Today, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
These speakers have caught my eye. I think Im going to give them a try soon. Love the Black Ash!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page