Bowers and Wilkins New 600 Series Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #181 of 241 Old 11-11-2015, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
Thanks!

Funny that I started this thread and didn't own any B&W speakers. Well, that is about to change. I just ordered 2x 683 S2 speakers and an HTM61 S2 center from my local audio dealer - Utah Audio. In fact, they got them in last week but I'm waiting for them to get my Sony projector unit in before I go by to pick it all up.

I'm acquiring a LOT of new equipment in the last two weeks. I've been so busy with school though that I haven't posted any of this to my build thread yet.

I auditioned the 683 S2 and HTM61 speakers for 2 hours a couple weeks ago. I have ear ringing (tinnitus) - not too bad but can be annoying. With some speakers I auditioned, the ringing got worse. With the 683 S2 and HTM61, watching music and movies at fairly high volume for two hours, I was just wanting more. The room wasn't even that great - no treatments on the walls so it was pretty echo-prone. Still, after 2 hours I turn it all off, and my ringing was nearly non-existent, and almost no listening fatigue. I can only imagine that in a properly treated room it would be even better.

That was the case when I auditioned the 683 S1s a couple years ago - so I have been following these speakers because of that. My recent auditioning just confirmed again that it's just my style somehow.

Funny thing is - I ended up buying the exact receiver I auditioned the speakers with, the Marantz SR7009. When it was discontinued for the SR7010, the price dropped in a lot of places from $1999 to $1199. I couldn't pass it up, but the dealer couldn't get any new - so he sold me his floor model for a great price. Had all the accessories in the box still untouched, the unit itself was kept up to date on firmware and hardly touched by customers as it was in a cooled rack and automated.

I too am pretty excited to get them into the room.

For surrounds, I really think the B&W DS3 speakers are kind of lame. They have poor frequency response in bipole mode, and that's how I'd want to use them. They don't even use the tweeter in bipole mode, so I'm paying for a fancy tweeter that wouldn't be on. And due to my narrow room, 685 or 686 speakers weren't what I wanted on the side, I wanted the diffusion of bipoles.

So after a bit of research and listening to a friend's set of Axiom Audio speakers, I bought some Axiom Audio surrounds to use. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll blend well with the B&W front channels. I'm not really too worried though. But if anyone has thoughts on that I'd be happy to hear them!
Congrats. I bet with that room and the B&Ws your are in for some amazing sound. It's funny, my last of many demos of the 683 S2 was last Sauturday and lasted about an hour and a half and one of the things I told my wife is that they don't intensify my tinnitus like others do.

Looking forward to seeing your system in your finished room.

Cheers,

Scott
danielrg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 241 Old 11-16-2015, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wink Took the leap, hope I did well.

Hi All,
Went to Best Buy looking to put together the start of HT again. Here is where I was at before starting.
I had HK 310 with CSW 5.1 (still have these since 2004), They have been boxed for 3 years now.
Moved to new place (small) and ended up with Martin Logan sound bar and 300 Dynamo SW.
Now I want to go back to separate components in my new loft. 13 foot ceilings and a 24x32 room. I do a balance of movies and music.

Over the course of three days I worked with Magnolia very hard. I had 10% off coupon, negotiated for lower prices and had no sale tax (it also helped that the area GM was there and helped.....ended up with
BW 683 S2 (one new, one floor model) $730 for the pair
BW 684 S2 (one floor model. Will look for the match online used or new and make them my rears) $50
BW CM Center S2 (Floor Model) $270
Marantz SR6009 (Open Box) $675 (I did A/B comparisons of the Marantz with Denon and Pioneer Elite to music and DVD BR 'Master and Commander' with the 683 and the CMC2. WOW!!!!!
Total $1725

SOLD Martin Logan SB and SW for $700

Total $1025. I am very happy.
post #183 of 241 Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immarocco View Post
Hi All,
Went to Best Buy looking to put together the start of HT again. Here is where I was at before starting.
I had HK 310 with CSW 5.1 (still have these since 2004), They have been boxed for 3 years now.
Moved to new place (small) and ended up with Martin Logan sound bar and 300 Dynamo SW.
Now I want to go back to separate components in my new loft. 13 foot ceilings and a 24x32 room. I do a balance of movies and music.

Over the course of three days I worked with Magnolia very hard. I had 10% off coupon, negotiated for lower prices and had no sale tax (it also helped that the area GM was there and helped.....ended up with
BW 683 S2 (one new, one floor model) $730 for the pair
BW 684 S2 (one floor model. Will look for the match online used or new and make them my rears) $50
BW CM Center S2 (Floor Model) $270
Marantz SR6009 (Open Box) $675 (I did A/B comparisons of the Marantz with Denon and Pioneer Elite to music and DVD BR 'Master and Commander' with the 683 and the CMC2. WOW!!!!!
Total $1725

SOLD Martin Logan SB and SW for $700

Total $1025. I am very happy.
The WOW! is the amazing deals you pulled off. Somehow you got two 683s for less than retail on one of them? And the CM Centers and 684s for a song! You're my new haggling hero!

You should be very happy. Congrats! Tell us more about how they sound.

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #184 of 241 Old 11-18-2015, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I just picked up two 683 S2s, and an HTM61 S2 today from the local dealer. (Also my Sony HW55ES projector)

So I am now an owner of the speakers I actually started the thread on so many months ago.

I thought getting 10% off was a good deal until Immarocco came along and made me feel like I somehow got ripped off

I haven't had time to unbox them yet, let alone set them up - except I did open the end of one 683 box which had a crushed corner and the styrofoam was cracked inside, but the speaker looks perfectly fine. I'll check for rattles when I get it unboxed but I'm sure it will be okay - styrofoam did its job!

Anyway, pretty stoked. I have everything for my room sitting down there waiting for me to get some time this weekend and over the week of Thanksgiving. I'll be sure to post my impressions of the sound in my room with the Marantz SR7009, and the Axiom Audio surrounds.
postrokfan likes this.

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #185 of 241 Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The WOW! is the amazing deals you pulled off. Somehow you got two 683s for less than retail on one of them? And the CM Centers and 684s for a song! You're my new haggling hero!

You should be very happy. Congrats! Tell us more about how they sound.
Daniel, thanks for the love LOL.

I only have one 684 at the moment. But for $50 it was impossible NOT to get it. Both floor models have dings and the gloss on the CM S2 is scuffed etc, but the integrity of the cabinets is fine. I did have them set up the three speakers as a 'set' and listened to them. Incredible. Even though the 683/684 were so different, they were still great. The Best Buy area GM was great as was my sales person. They wanted to move the stuff off the floor and I had lust for them. So much so that I bought the new 683. I knew I had to.
I am going to try setting up today. I won't have a wall to back them with, so placement may not be optimal. Wish me luck.

RC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BW.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	1065322  
danielrg likes this.

There's Something For Everyone at Rocco's Photo Tavern
http://www.roccosphototavern.com/

Last edited by Immarocco; 11-18-2015 at 08:11 AM.
post #186 of 241 Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I just picked up two 683 S2s, and an HTM61 S2 today from the local dealer. (Also my Sony HW55ES projector)

So I am now an owner of the speakers I actually started the thread on so many months ago.

I thought getting 10% off was a good deal until Immarocco came along and made me feel like I somehow got ripped off

I haven't had time to unbox them yet, let alone set them up - except I did open the end of one 683 box which had a crushed corner and the styrofoam was cracked inside, but the speaker looks perfectly fine. I'll check for rattles when I get it unboxed but I'm sure it will be okay - styrofoam did its job!

Anyway, pretty stoked. I have everything for my room sitting down there waiting for me to get some time this weekend and over the week of Thanksgiving. I'll be sure to post my impressions of the sound in my room with the Marantz SR7009, and the Axiom Audio surrounds.
danielrd, congratulations! It took a year and a half before I was able to make a purchase/decision of the 683 S2. You are in for some fun. Don't know how your able to control yourself knowing those are waiting for you downstairs!

You got a fair deal on them. You got 10% off NIB. That's great! I believe any good dealer can work with a 10-15% discount. I ended up with a 12% but I had to give them the "stink eye". No, not really. Just asked them what they could do for me.

I work from home so my system runs about 10 hours a day so I have about 100 hours on them. They are settling in beautifully. I've only had one rough spot between the 30-50 mark where they hardened up and were a bit harsh, closed in and bright sounding. Since then they just keep getting better.

Look forward to your impressions. Have fun.

Cheers,

Scott
danielrg likes this.
post #187 of 241 Old 11-18-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Daniel, thanks for the love LOL.

I only have one 684 at the moment. But for $50 it was impossible NOT to get it. Both floor models have dings and the gloss on the CM S2 is scuffed etc, but the integrity of the cabinets is fine. I did have them set up the three speakers as a 'set' and listened to them. Incredible. Even though the 683/684 were so different, they were still great. The Best Buy area GM was great as was my sales person. They wanted to move the stuff off the floor and I had lust for them. So much so that I bought the new 683. I knew I had to.
I am going to try setting up today. I won't have a wall to back them with, so placement may not be optimal. Wish me luck.

RC

Immarocco, beautiful room! hope you enjoy your new system.

Cheers,

Scott
post #188 of 241 Old 11-18-2015, 07:10 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samac View Post
Immarocco, beautiful room! hope you enjoy your new system.

Cheers,

Scott
Thanks Sam

The room is a whole lot prettier now and sounding very very nice. My Martin Logan Sound Bar served me well. I also included the blemishes on the floor models.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5770.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1066506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5769.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1066514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5768.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1066522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5767.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1066530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5766.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1066538  

Name:	IMG_5762(1).JPG
Views:	116
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1066546  
Samac likes this.

There's Something For Everyone at Rocco's Photo Tavern
http://www.roccosphototavern.com/
post #189 of 241 Old 11-18-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 2297
Quote:

Congrats! Should be a fun Thanksgiving break.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #190 of 241 Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks Sam

The room is a whole lot prettier now and sounding very very nice. My Martin Logan Sound Bar served me well. I also included the blemishes on the floor models.
Really cool. Thanks for sharing some pics! Glad it's sounding good, it looks good in there, nice space.

post #191 of 241 Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I unboxed my 683 S2 and HTM61 S2 today. I hooked to an old Kenwood I've had for 25 years, to check them out. Sounded great. I couldn't place them well because my speaker wire was short but still got a nice sound stage. The HTM61 also sounded good. So at least I know they're working!

After I get them setup in the theater room I'll post more impressions. But even watching half a Christmas movie with them (my wife had on some Hallmark Christmas show) I loved the detailed sound. For a Hallmark TV production, it's almost too revealing, it sounds almost like you're on a set. It was like the "reality TV" effect on speakers, but only because of the detail. For made for TV, I might have to find the "obfuscate" setting on the AVR
postrokfan and Samac like this.

post #192 of 241 Old 11-20-2015, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I unboxed my 683 S2 and HTM61 S2 today. I hooked to an old Kenwood I've had for 25 years, to check them out. Sounded great. I couldn't place them well because my speaker wire was short but still got a nice sound stage. The HTM61 also sounded good. So at least I know they're working!

After I get them setup in the theater room I'll post more impressions. But even watching half a Christmas movie with them (my wife had on some Hallmark Christmas show) I loved the detailed sound. For a Hallmark TV production, it's almost too revealing, it sounds almost like you're on a set. It was like the "reality TV" effect on speakers, but only because of the detail. For made for TV, I might have to find the "obfuscate" setting on the AVR
I hope I'm not the only one self-indulgent enough to quote himself. I was talking to a co-worker today about modern home theater systems, and how with older stuff or stuff of lower budget production quality, HD and high resolution speakers can sometimes provide too much detail. Seeing the flaws in the film, hearing stuff on the set you weren't meant to hear - in other words upsetting the "suspension of disbelief".

So maybe the "obfuscate" feature isn't such a bad one. The button that says, "Make my theater as crappy as A/V was 20 or 30 years ago" so that you don't notice as easily that it isn't real.

But I'd never give up the resolution in video or audio for well produced music or movies. Engrossing! I loved listening to well recorded music as I was auditioning high res speakers.

So that was a little self-indulgent, and a little off topic. Do thread starters get slightly more leeway?

post #193 of 241 Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys,

been on the fence about 685 S2s for a while now. I've owned KEF Q300s for most of the year, but feeling the itch to upgrade already.

I use them near field, on stands at either end of my desk, and both pointed towards me on the chair.

Googling doesn't seem to give too much comparisons on which one is better. I'd figure the 685 S2 as they're the much newer speaker, and the Q300 was great back in its day, which was quite a while ago. I do prefer the sleek sexy finish of the Q300s, but ah well!

Last edited by LC155; 11-22-2015 at 08:29 PM.
post #194 of 241 Old 11-23-2015, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC155 View Post
Hey guys,

been on the fence about 685 S2s for a while now. I've owned KEF Q300s for most of the year, but feeling the itch to upgrade already.

I use them near field, on stands at either end of my desk, and both pointed towards me on the chair.

Googling doesn't seem to give too much comparisons on which one is better. I'd figure the 685 S2 as they're the much newer speaker, and the Q300 was great back in its day, which was quite a while ago. I do prefer the sleek sexy finish of the Q300s, but ah well!
I wanted to audition the Q series KEF before buying my B&W 683 S2 speakers, but couldn't get the local dealer to give me the time of day for some reason (by appointment only).

Have you auditioned 685 S2 at Best Buy or anything? Not saying that would tell you for sure... but it would get you started. Is there any reason you are not happy with the KEFs? I mean, if it ain't broke...

Of course - I want you to buy the 685 S2s, then write up an awesome comparison. But that's me just being selfish

post #195 of 241 Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I wanted to audition the Q series KEF before buying my B&W 683 S2 speakers, but couldn't get the local dealer to give me the time of day for some reason (by appointment only).

Have you auditioned 685 S2 at Best Buy or anything? Not saying that would tell you for sure... but it would get you started. Is there any reason you are not happy with the KEFs? I mean, if it ain't broke...

Of course - I want you to buy the 685 S2s, then write up an awesome comparison. But that's me just being selfish
Well, I'm in the UK so any auditions at best buy are out. However, there's a local dealer in my nearest city and they seem willing to have an employee drive out to hand me the demo models they have (he lives in the general area so that's handy, we'll have to see when he's asked). If that works then I can compare them side by side on my same NAD D3020.

As for the sound, well, if you compare it to headphones, the Q300s would be like DT880s. Excel at the high ranges, but the treble might be a bit fatiguing for me over long listening periods (and since I use them on my desk, that can be all day). The 685s from what I hear are more akin to HD650s - mids and lows, without overachieving highs that can fatigue some ears.

Of course it depends on what I hear if I can demo them inhome. The uniQ feature of the KEFs might not be so advantageous to me since I'm using them near field anyway.

It definitely seems on paper however that the 685 S2s are better. WhatHifi gave the Q300s a top rating back in the day, but say there's better out these days for the money, like the 685s.
danielrg likes this.
post #196 of 241 Old 11-26-2015, 06:56 AM

Liked: 0
Hi Guys, new member here, but not new to the forum world. About 4 years ago I bought a 684 theater set and it was a great deal that I could not pass up on. Fast forward to now, I have been enjoying it with just an Integra receiver DTR-30.2 . I am looking to get a better sub and a more powerful amplifier to upgrade my set. Any advice you guys can give for my set? I've been reading a lot about these speakers here, and I know they are not favorable to many of you guys here but it is what I have and I am not looking to buy a new speaker set.

Can you guys recommend a Sub? Budget is around $600 and another $600 for an Amp that is more powerful than my receiver.

I have the 684 floor standing , 685 for surrounds and htm-62 for center. I need to upgrade my sub, I have right now Acoustech H100 sub right now, and the DTR-30.2 receiver.

Thanks guys!
post #197 of 241 Old 11-27-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si_jeff View Post
Hi Guys, new member here, but not new to the forum world. About 4 years ago I bought a 684 theater set and it was a great deal that I could not pass up on. Fast forward to now, I have been enjoying it with just an Integra receiver DTR-30.2 . I am looking to get a better sub and a more powerful amplifier to upgrade my set. Any advice you guys can give for my set? I've been reading a lot about these speakers here, and I know they are not favorable to many of you guys here but it is what I have and I am not looking to buy a new speaker set.

Can you guys recommend a Sub? Budget is around $600 and another $600 for an Amp that is more powerful than my receiver.

I have the 684 floor standing , 685 for surrounds and htm-62 for center. I need to upgrade my sub, I have right now Acoustech H100 sub right now, and the DTR-30.2 receiver.

Thanks guys!
Hey, si_jeff,

With the 684/685 combination you have an excellent set-up. Not familiar with your receiver but looking at the specs it looks good. Guys around here know a lot more than me about receivers/subs. Hopefully some will chime in. I'll only say that from looking at what your system you might want to keep your receiver and put your budget towards a better sub.

Cheers,

Scott
post #198 of 241 Old 11-27-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys!
For the subwoofer I would look at SVS (SB-1000 or PB-1000), HSU Research (VTF-MK4), or Rythmik (LV12R or L12). Why do you think you need a separate amplifier? Do you listen at high volume or is the listening area large?

post #199 of 241 Old 11-27-2015, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks guys!
I agree with Samac - you have a great receiver. Unless you want 4K or to go Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, I don't see a reason to upgrade it. The sub is what I'd go for.

If you love music with your 600 series speakers, you might want a sealed sub.

SVS SB2000 is $700. That's what I got for my HT and I am really pleased with it. Subtle, doing its job and no more, but when call on by a movie, makes its presence known.

If you are more a movie person and want to be hit by your bass, I'd suggest SVS PB2000.

Another option to consider is the HSU subwoofers. The VTF-2 MK4 would be great for the budget you have. Lots of tweaking options and great reviews. Or could go for one of the beefier cousins if you decide to up the budget.

Another option would be to go with dual subs if you notice uneven bass in your room.

Good luck with your decision!

post #200 of 241 Old 11-28-2015, 08:17 AM

Hey, danielrg,

Have you been able to spend some more time with your 683s? Ours are set up in the main living area of the house so they are playing all through the day, from background music to movies.

I had the house to myself for few hours yesterday and had a great time turning them up a bit with some rock. Threw some Van Halen, Boston and Dire Staits at them. Of course I just had to play the audiophile approved remastered "Money For Nothing". Gotta say that was fun.
post #201 of 241 Old 11-28-2015, 02:34 PM

I am trying out the 685 S2s now, and my first impressions are something like:

If we were to liken it to headphones, then yes, the Q300s would be like DT880s with their excelling performance in highs , and the 685 S2s closer to HD650s with the mids (just my experience with headphones I've used myself). The S2s have more meat on the bone for sure, but they don't sound as open and spacious, or airy. The sweet spot is also a lot smaller, but this is a given with the tweeter setup. Not really an issue if you know how to toe in (Q300s if you like dancing around your room I guess?).

That being said, I find I'm getting a lot better direction from the S2s, and they seem to be filling the room better than the Q300s ever did. I tested out positioning whilst I played some games (not the best way but it works!) and I found with the Q300s I did have some trouble sometimes with being able to figure out where some things were coming from, but didn't have this problem with the S2s in the slightest. Interesting. (Using the S2s for gaming was also more satisfying due to the deeper and better bass, just to note).

So, a first impression summed up would be something like:

- Better bass for sure
- Less sweet spot, and doesn't come from 'everywhere' like the Q300s do
- Whilst it has less soundstage due to not being as open and airy, direction/positioning seems better
- Fills the room more than the Q300s did
- More of an 'impact', moe meaty flavour.

Q300s are more airy, open, and quite bright in comparison, but to me, can sound 'flat'. Bit of an oversimplification, but describing audio is hard. If you were to ask me in person I'd say 'it goes wham, bam, zing, and then my heart goes doki doki'
post #202 of 241 Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samac View Post
Hey, danielrg,

Have you been able to spend some more time with your 683s? Ours are set up in the main living area of the house so they are playing all through the day, from background music to movies.

I had the house to myself for few hours yesterday and had a great time turning them up a bit with some rock. Threw some Van Halen, Boston and Dire Staits at them. Of course I just had to play the audiophile approved remastered "Money For Nothing". Gotta say that was fun.
I've been setting up and tweaking the projector. But I have watched a few things, and listened to my audition CD while I was working. Really enjoyed it! They sound as great as they did in the store, maybe better. I read in the manual to toe them in so they face _in front_ of the listening area. Kind of neat as it opened the sound stage up to be wide - like 5 feet wide. That was kind of cool. Then I messed with them some more while putting up my test screen, soundstage hasn't been as good, but they still sound great for the non-critical listening. I can't say anything more specific as I haven't really listened long and hard and critiqued them yet. But so far I'm happy... The center is great too. Very clear dialogue - feel like I can hear everything in the movies, things I haven't heard before, people mumbling things, etc. that I dismissed when listening before I could hear clearly. So that was kind of cool.

post #203 of 241 Old 11-30-2015, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

I`m new here, just sourced a used 686 S2 as fronts and an ASW610 as a sub and I`m after an HTM62 S2 but someone is willing to sell a HTM62 S1. Should I stick to the S2 or any other recommendation?
I`d use it for 50-50 movies-music.

Thanks,
post #204 of 241 Old 11-30-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dverez View Post
Hi guys,

I`m new here, just sourced a used 686 S2 as fronts and an ASW610 as a sub and I`m after an HTM62 S2 but someone is willing to sell a HTM62 S1. Should I stick to the S2 or any other recommendation?
I`d use it for 50-50 movies-music.

Thanks,
In a pinch the HTM62 S1 would be fine but for the best timbre match the S2 would be the best choice since your front three would have the same tweeter.

post #205 of 241 Old 11-30-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
In a pinch the HTM62 S1 would be fine but for the best timbre match the S2 would be the best choice since your front three would have the same tweeter.
Quick question Postro, have you heard both the 685 S2 and the Q300? What did you think?
post #206 of 241 Old 11-30-2015, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love my 683 S2's but they are big and black and was thinking of upgrading to the CM8 which are smalled and I can get them in white (remain married). Is there a noticable improvement? Any comments?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty
post #207 of 241 Old 11-30-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quick question Postro, have you heard both the 685 S2 and the Q300? What did you think?
I have listened to the 685S2 as well as the Q300. The 685S2 is much improved with the new tweeter and is closer to the Q300 regarding treble response. I would agree with the previous post that the midrange might be slightly superior with the 685S2 IMHO. Bass response is very similar for the two speakers. I would say both are non-fatiguing and that's great for long listening sessions.

post #208 of 241 Old 11-30-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I have listened to the 685S2 as well as the Q300. The 685S2 is much improved with the new tweeter and is closer to the Q300 regarding treble response. I would agree with the previous post that the midrange might be slightly superior with the 685S2 IMHO. Bass response is very similar for the two speakers. I would say both are non-fatiguing and that's great for long listening sessions.
Interesting. I'm listening to both atm and what I find so far is going back to my Q300s I find them very... 'tinny' and less satisfying compared to the 685s. The S2s really fill the room and have a 'punch' and meat on the bone to them, without losing any clarity or becoming muddled.

I find the bass much improved on the S2 as well. The nearfield usage of the 685s might be better as well, as the UniQ disperses in a wide range which would be better for for away listening, but this is just my opinion.
post #209 of 241 Old 11-30-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. I'm listening to both atm and what I find so far is going back to my Q300s I find them very... 'tinny' and less satisfying compared to the 685s. The S2s really fill the room and have a 'punch' and meat on the bone to them, without losing any clarity or becoming muddled.

I find the bass much improved on the S2 as well. The nearfield usage of the 685s might be better as well, as the UniQ disperses in a wide range which would be better for for away listening, but this is just my opinion.
What you have perceived as "tinny" is most likely what I previously described regarding the treble response. For lack of a better description the 685S2s are more polite on the top end. Midrange response is fantastic for the 685s2s so perhaps that's the fullness you are experiencing. It's good that you are auditioning both side by side. That's the best way to make a decision.

post #210 of 241 Old 11-30-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
What you have perceived as "tinny" is most likely what I previously described regarding the treble response. For lack of a better description the 685S2s are more polite on the top end. Midrange response is fantastic for the 685s2s so perhaps that's the fullness you are experiencing. It's good that you are auditioning both side by side. That's the best way to make a decision.
Yeah, I listened to the 685s all weekend and switched them back for a moment today. At first with the S2s I felt 'closed in' compared to the open airyness of the Q300s - although positioning on the 685s was a LOT better for the reduced perceived soundstage. I had difficulty on the Q300s in some areas (especially gaming).

However, now more used to them, I switched back to the Q300s and it feels... I don't know, lifeless. The 'energy' I get from the S2s just isn't there. It doesn't even feel as open and airy anymore, probably because I have a new perspective on it all. Hell, the separation on the instruments is better on the S2s as well, even though the Q300s are supposed to excel in orchestrals.

I brought my mother in and had her listen to both as well (as she wouldn't have any bias) and without me giving my opinions she said pretty much the same as well, wasn't impressed at all with the Q300s after hearing the S2s.

That's not to say the Q300s is bad at all, just when compared to a newer speaker with newer technology, it definitely falls behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page