Bowers and Wilkins New 600 Series Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #241 of 250 Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by butch666 View Post
Would you mind sharing some more details on how exactly you found the HTM62 deficient? Am very interested in your thoughts as I am thinking of buying this center for my two 685's.
I am sorry I missed your post and didnt reply.

The HTM-62 to me is a little "honky"

I listen to a lot of multi channel hi res music and the speaker is just not up to the material it gets fed especially with very discrete mixes.

In the home video realm, its just as not as accurate as I would want for dialog.

If I were you, I would try to get an HTM-61.

I am going for a CM centre because I've now got the CM 10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 Old 08-04-2016, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I bought a new 70" 4k TV for my living room and I want a setup a 3.1 now and add the rears later for movies/music. My dimensions are 15' x 21' x 10' and open to the kitchen and dining. I leaning towards the 685 s2 and the htm62 s2 for the stage, will these work for that space or should I go bigger (floorstanding)? Btw I went to BB and heard them and they sound great with music and movies playing along side a ML Dynamo 700w. Thanks
post #243 of 250 Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Matt Beglinger 

I had an opportunity last week to audition the 683 S2s connected to a Denon AVR-X4000. The source was some $500 Denon Disc player -- don't have specifics on it.

--- snip ---

Thanks for your impressions! I liked how you shared relative to your other experiences, helps put things in perspective. Did the speakers have much time on them? Some say that it takes time to break in the low end. But I have read in some other places that these have a little less oomph in the low range. I would think a nice sub would be a good addition to this line.
I have to say I own a pair of the 684 towers and I don't know why people say they don't have bass. They have plenty of punch to me and sometimes when I'm listening to them I have to check if my sub is on. I think if you keep your expectations reasonable in terms of what kind of bass to expect from a tower with relatively small drivers it's hard not to be impressed. When playing them with my SVS SB-2000 they obviously sound better, but I would have no issues running these without a sub.
post #244 of 250 Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemac76 View Post
I bought a new 70" 4k TV for my living room and I want a setup a 3.1 now and add the rears later for movies/music. My dimensions are 15' x 21' x 10' and open to the kitchen and dining. I leaning towards the 685 s2 and the htm62 s2 for the stage, will these work for that space or should I go bigger (floorstanding)? Btw I went to BB and heard them and they sound great with music and movies playing along side a ML Dynamo 700w. Thanks
That's a fairly large room. I guess it depends on the volume. I would be inclined to go with towers and the bigger HTM61 S2 in that space. Another option would be to add a second subwoofer and switch to the HTM61 center (especially if it's mainly HT).

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #245 of 250 Old 08-05-2016, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Bowers and Wilkins New 600 Series Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalkaran View Post
I have to say I own a pair of the 684 towers and I don't know why people say they don't have bass. They have plenty of punch to me and sometimes when I'm listening to them I have to check if my sub is on. I think if you keep your expectations reasonable in terms of what kind of bass to expect from a tower with relatively small drivers it's hard not to be impressed. When playing them with my SVS SB-2000 they obviously sound better, but I would have no issues running these without a sub.

I have 684 S1 as my mains and they definitely have bass. I think B&W manufactured the 684 S2s with smaller drivers if I'm not mistaken, but I auditioned them and was surprised to find they still had a lot of bass. I ran my 684 S1s without a sub for a long time and they were fine. Recently however, I purchased a Rythmik LV12R and have to say the entire system was greatly improved.

In regards to the HTM62 S2 conversation. I also auditioned these and agree with an earlier poster that they sounded honky. Worse than that I thought they also sounded muddied. Because of that, when I decided to upgrade my center from a Proficient GL6, I chose to go with the CM Center S2 which I've been using and works very well with my setup. Using 685 S1s for my surrounds and then my front heights and rear surrounds are in need of an upgrade. Was thinking on purchasing a pair or 2 of 686s. Anyone here happen to be selling those? S1 or S2

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
==============================
Pioneer Elite VSX-44 AVR, MiniDSP 2x4 HD DAP, Rythmik LV12R SW, B&W 684 Mains, B&W 685 Surrounds, B&W CM Center, Polk T15 Heights, Yamaha NS-AP2800S Rears

Last edited by citsur86; 08-05-2016 at 03:45 AM.
post #246 of 250 Old 08-05-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I have 684 S1 as my mains and they definitely have bass. I think B&W manufactured the 684 S2s with smaller drivers if I'm not mistaken, but I auditioned them and was surprised to find they still had a lot of bass. I ran my 684 S1s without a sub for a long time and they were fine. Recently however, I purchased a Rythmik LV12R and have to say the entire system was greatly improved.

In regards to the HTM62 S2 conversation. I also auditioned these and agree with an earlier poster that they sounded honky. Worse than that I thought they also sounded muddied. Because of that, when I decided to upgrade my center from a Proficient GL6, I chose to go with the CM Center S2 which I've been using and works very well with my setup. Using 685 S1s for my surrounds and then my front heights and rear surrounds are in need of an upgrade. Was thinking on purchasing a pair or 2 of 686s. Anyone here happen to be selling those? S1 or S2
Interesting...what kind of amp do you have? I haven't really had an issues with clarity from my center. If anything I think the HTM62 could use a little more bass, it tends to sound flat to me. I am coming from a cheap Pioneer center so maybe it's my ears that aren't used to a better center channel.
post #247 of 250 Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemac76 View Post
For a room that size (3150 cu ft) and open on a side, I think you'd really benefit from floorstanding. Well, the 683 S2 anyway. The 684 S2 are nice but not much more punch than 685 S2, just on "build in stands". I think the 685 S2 sound very slightly better than 684 S2 (a bit punchier, slightly more robust mids), but others might think differently and you should definitely audition yourself. My home theater of ~3000 cu ft (and the room is sealed) is not overwhelmed by the 683 S2 and HTM61 S2 at all. But it can be if I want!

I listen about 15 dB below reference and the speakers are great. Somehow the sound stage just hangs over my screen about 6" above the top of the 683s. Combined with a sub, this is great for movies. I got two SVS SB2000 because I like the tight bass and music, and it brings plenty of bass for movies for me (more than my local megaplex did when I watched Star Trek Beyond there) but for a space that big that's open, if you like to be shaken you might want PB2000 - depends on your tastes.

It also depends on how much room you want to take up. The larger speakers are great but they are ... larger. I think the 685 and HTM62 could hold their own. But I think for movies, even with 685, you'd want the HTM61 since it does so much of the work during movies.

Hope that helps.

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #248 of 250 Old 08-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Bowers and Wilkins New 600 Series Thread

Quote:
Interesting...what kind of amp do you have? I haven't really had an issues with clarity from my center. If anything I think the HTM62 could use a little more bass, it tends to sound flat to me. I am coming from a cheap Pioneer center so maybe it's my ears that aren't used to a better center channel.

I actually just use a Pioneer Elite VSX-44 but I should clarify. I didn't audition the HTM62 S2 at home, it was in store. I realize those store demo rooms are not normally calibrated for the speakers within them so it more than definitely could have been just that. I also flipped between it and the CM Center S2 during the same few scenes and the CM Center S2 was more crisp and I would say had less bass, if anything. That's more to my preference though, which always plays a huge part. So I wouldn't say the HTM62 S2 sounds bad, necessarily. I just liked the CM Center S2 more based on my own preferences.

Pioneer Elite VSX-44 AVR, MiniDSP 2x4 HD DAP, Rythmik LV12R SW, B&W 684 Mains, B&W 685 Surrounds, B&W CM Center, Polk T15 Heights, Yamaha NS-AP2800S Rears
post #249 of 250 Old 08-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I actually just use a Pioneer Elite VSX-44 but I should clarify. I didn't audition the HTM62 S2 at home, it was in store. I realize those store demo rooms are not normally calibrated for the speakers within them so it more than definitely could have been just that. I also flipped between it and the CM Center S2 during the same few scenes and the CM Center S2 was more crisp and I would say had less bass, if anything. That's more to my preference though, which always plays a huge part. So I wouldn't say the HTM62 S2 sounds bad, necessarily. I just liked the CM Center S2 more based on my own preferences.
Oh gotcha...yeah I went to Magnolia to audition my speakers before I got them and I compared them to the CM series towers and for some reason those sounded really bad...like zero bass and just all treble. I highly doubt they actually sound like that, but I'm glad they didn't have them set up properly because I might have been swayed to spend way too much haha. They also somehow managed to make a REL and an SVS sub sound bad. I don't know how they have those things connected, but it's definitely not right.
post #250 of 250 Old 08-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh gotcha...yeah I went to Magnolia to audition my speakers before I got them and I compared them to the CM series towers and for some reason those sounded really bad...like zero bass and just all treble. I highly doubt they actually sound like that, but I'm glad they didn't have them set up properly because I might have been swayed to spend way too much haha. They also somehow managed to make a REL and an SVS sub sound bad. I don't know how they have those things connected, but it's definitely not right.

I agree the CM series did sound like lots of treble and little bass to me also. Maybe that's the sound difference between them and the 600 series. I think the CM Center treble timbre matches well with the 600 series front and surrounds for me though!
dbalkaran likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page