5.1 System - $500 - Looking for Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In an attempt to rid myself of my Panasonic HTIB (about 6 years old now) I have purchased (or will be tomorrow) a pioneer elite VSX-43 ($250, open box @ BB).
The room is about 18ft by 15ft with cathedral like cielings, and is open in the back and along the side. The wife and I have agreed that only having speakers in the front of the room is the best option for us.

So, I am left with trying to figure out what the best setup would be. We don't want a huge subwoofer or anything, so I am leaning towards a smallish subwoofer and some nicer floor standing speakers with a nice center channel followed by some less nice surround speakers.

I read a few things about the Pioneer FS-52's from Amazon, but I don't know if they will be good enough for what I am looking for.

Also, this system will serve as the speakers for movies, netflix, streaming audio, youtube, internet radio etc...

Any thoughts?

I would love to get a set of Klipsch or something like that but I really am overwhelmed with all of the options... and lets just say that I don't exactly trust the Best Buy Guys very much (despite their opinion on the "JAMO"s).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Please delete this thread... I found the search button!!! =)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The pioneers get great reviews around here. If it were me I would get a nxg bas500 for a sub (I have this one) I would get the fs52 and matching center. Then just get the in house brand insignia bookshelf for the surround. This will satisfy everything you want. The sub is underpowered for a room that size but without going over 1k for the sub alone it's the best you will do in your budget. It will still provide plenty of bass as its pretty stout at the price range it's in. I have the insignia speakers for my fronts currently. I'm actually surprised at the performance.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I did what you suggested.... Pioneer FS52 for front and the same series center.
I ended up going with the Dayton 12" sub for $109, and the dayton bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. Total is up to $369.... unfortunately, the damn Pioneer VSX-43 wasn't at BB for $250 anymore... it went up to $415... so it looks like I am waiting.
thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 660
You can always get a Denon or Onkyo receiver from accessories4less. They have some great models that are factory refurbished/factory warrantied for around $200. smile.gif

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page