Need Home Theater Speaker Suggestions (actually . . . .) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually, Home Theater might conjur up the wrong images. I'm really not talking about the full blown theater experience. If I'm any "category" of guy, I'm probably a 2-channel audio guy.

But that said, our TV experience needs to be better -- AND I'm changing to an official AVR (for a variety of reasons).

Here's my current setup.

TV
Video components all run directly to TV (cable box, apple TV, DVD player, etc.)

2 Channel Audio Receiver (NAD 712, if you are curious). This is going to have to hit the road I'm afraid.
then 2 JPW loudspeakers (I'll have to go look at them to remember the number . . . they are oldies but goodies).

My new setup will be (I think)

TV
Dennon AVR (my local guy recommends the ###2000)
All of my Video components run with HDMI to the AVR . . . then one HDMI out from AVR to TV.

Then new AVR will drive speakers.

What speakers?

Here are a SERIES of questions. (yes - bad forum style, I know)

First of all, will it run 2 channel audio (or 2 channel plus a sub, or 3.1 [that is 2 sides, a center, and sub]) . . . or if it is built for 7.1 do I have to set it up that way??? [My family room is not really configured for real surround sound]

Do my JPW speakers have a place in this set up? They are not exactly "bookcase" size though . . .
With or without the JPW, should I add a center channel speaker? Which one? Polk? Atlantic Technologies? Other?

Can you help get me started?

Thanks all!

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The Denon AVR-X2000 is a good choice. It will run any number of speakers, you don't have to use all the channels. I would look to upgrade from those speakers, they are old and finding a matching center channel is likely pretty impossible. For HT, you really need a matching front sound stage (L/C/R) to get proper imaging.

I need a couple pieces of information before I can make a suggestion:

1. Room volume (LXWXH) and is it connected to any other spaces?

2. How far you will sit from the TV

3. Budget

4. Listening habits (Do you like it loud, do you have neighbors, etc.)
GusGus748s likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Transmaniacon, for your help to me.

This is a very traditional home (1940). My family room is ~19x22. 9.5' ceilings.
The family room is connected to other spaces, but not in any "open concept" sort of way . . . . it is really this one room that needs the sound, and it is fairly well contained.

The TV is in the "corner" of the room (one long wall has a massive fireplace . . . the other a couple of doors to the patio . . . one short wall has a massive window looking outside, the other a "bar."). The TV sits in a bookcase that "surrounds" the back window. I currently have those JPW speakers (which will be replaced on your suggestion) in the "lower" part of the bookcase, under the TV. I need to get the speakers "up/higher" in the new configuration.

I tell you all of that bit b/c I think it probably matters to your understanding of the limitations in this system. But all of that is a given (I have a wife . . . she is NOT floating the TV over the fireplace). So I need to work in those parameters.

How do we listen? Look -- we're fuddy duddies with children. We are more "PBS" than "Action movie". The kids are in bed at the end of the day. We sit down for a little television. Occasionally we rent movies (with or without children).

Neighbors are not a concern (if we do rent an action packed movie -- no reason we can't crank it up). But it also needs to work at "normal" listening volumes -- need to be able to hear/understand the British accents watching Downton Abby on Sunday nights.

Again, thanks enormously for your help!

All best,
M
post #4 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Just need a budget.

Living Room

Computer
post #5 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

What's a budget?

Ok, seriously -- it isn't "audiofile" budget (remember, the wife). But neither is budget my first concern. What is "reasonable" for good quality stuff that is going to last for years? What is "in keeping" with the price point of the Dennon 2000?

Can $1000 bucks get me center, sides and sub?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1263 View Post

What's a budget?

Ok, seriously -- it isn't "audiofile" budget (remember, the wife). But neither is budget my first concern. What is "reasonable" for good quality stuff that is going to last for years? What is "in keeping" with the price point of the Dennon 2000?

Can $1000 bucks get me center, sides and sub?

The breakdown of spending changes based on what your total budget is. For a complete system with $1000, I would look to spend around $200-300 on a receiver. So with the Denon going for $650, I would probably recommend that in a $2000-2500 budget. It sounds like for your needs, 5.1 is plenty. I would look at the Denon AVR-E300, it comes with Audyssey room correction and networking, and more in line with what you want to spend. Putting more money into the speakers and sub is going to get you better sound quality.

It sounds like you need bookshelves that can fit into your current cabinet, what kind of size limitations does that create? I would be looking at a front ported or sealed speaker, something like that is more appropriate for shelf placement. You have a good sized room, which means you need a capable sub. I would be looking at the SVS PB-1000, it is a great bang for the buck sub, and will sound great for movies.

I think NHT could be a good option for you here, they make sealed speakers, and they sound very good; great clarity and detail. They also offer a 30 day in home trial with free shipping both ways, so you can try them and decide what you think. A pair of NHT Absolute Zero and the Absolute Center would sound very good, and with the extra money from your receiver, you can afford to get some nicer speakers like these. A pair of NHT SuperZero 2.1 for surrounds, or the Polk OWM3 would be a good choice.

Living Room

Computer
post #7 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. This is hugely helpful.

I need multi-source, multi-zone in this AVR (different objective of the project is to connect into my Niles ICS whole house system for music streaming). That's what got me to the Denon AVR x2000.

So -- assuming I've got $1000 *MORE* to spend on the speakers (3.1 configuration), I'll study the recommendations you sent. (again, thanks!).

My next questions are back to your original advice about a "matched sound stage".

*Do I assume from that advice that I should pick one of these brands and stay with it for all bits (center, sides, and sub)?
Or could/should the sub come from somewhere else?

*How do I make sure that the sub is appropriately "sized" for the speakers. (or perhaps better, if i get the sub sized forthe room, how do I make sure the speakers are also appropriately sized).

Again - all advice truly! appreciated.

M
post #8 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 463
This can make a nice/good matched front soundstage - MB Quart Alexxa B1 speakers.
They are also front ported, and the word also is real good for music. I own their higher-
end Vera speakers, which are solid for music/movies/TV.

Due to the close-out pricing, I would buy 2 pair and use one as a vertical center and have
a spare (worth it).
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-b1pb-pair?pp=24

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31RUsDw%2B8TL.jpg

A subjective review of the Alexxa B1
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/28/286262.html

You can use your JPW as surrounds - or look at the Focal Sib
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalsibprwht/focal-sib-5-2-way-satellite-loudspeakers-pair-white/1.html

Look at HSU VTF-2
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

Power Sound Audio subwoofer
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv15

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need multi-source, multi-zone in this AVR (different objective of the project is to connect into my Niles ICS whole house system for music streaming). That's what got me to the Denon AVR x2000.

So -- assuming I've got $1000 *MORE* to spend on the speakers (3.1 configuration), I'll study the recommendations you sent. (again, thanks!).

My next questions are back to your original advice about a "matched sound stage".

*Do I assume from that advice that I should pick one of these brands and stay with it for all bits (center, sides, and sub)?

*How do I make sure that the sub is appropriately "sized" for the speakers. (or perhaps better, if i get the sub sized forthe room, how do I make sure the speakers are also appropriately sized).

M

If you need multi-zone support, then the X2000 would be a good choice.

In an ideal world, you would have three identical vertical speakers across the front. Most people can't accomodate this, so a matching center channel is the next best scenario. Your surrounds don't really need to match, if you listen to a lot of multi-channel audio, then it can be beneficial. Your sub however does not need to match.

You don't necessarily size a sub for the speakers, but for the room. I recommended something in your budget, if your budget increased, the sub would be the first place I put it. You have a medium-large room, so I would be looking at the SVS PB-2000/PSA XV-15/HSU VTF-3 MK4. Since you have modest listening habits, one sub would probably be fine. Just about every traditional bookshelf speaker will play down to 80Hz where your sub will generally take over, so matching a sub really isn't an issue. Your receiver and its room correction will do all that for you.

Living Room

Computer
post #10 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

M

You do not have to buy the same brand sub as your speakers, nor is it recommended since it limits your options. If you happen to find a great sub that is also manufactured by the same speaker company, then great. But I wouldn't lead with this principle in mind. Find the best sub that compliments your set up.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #11 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Another sub option since music is a priority, and if you do not wish to lift
your house off its foundation, is the MB Quart Vera subwoofer.
$699 with shipping
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/vs1swm?pp=24

A subjective review
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?30038-MB-Quart-home-subwoofer&p=319305&viewfull=1#post319305

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?30038-MB-Quart-home-subwoofer&p=322409&viewfull=1#post322409

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page