Sub & speaker setup with sound card (no Pre-amp/Receiver) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm taking a step into the audiophile world as a newbie, and I have a decently solid idea of the audio setup I want to get for my new computer, An Audioengine A2 pair, and a BIC America F12 subwoofer, along with a Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card. I already have the sound card, and these 3 items together are already pushing the boundaries a little of my audio budget, leaving no room for a pre-amp or a receiver, thus why I chose powered speakers. I plan to hook them up directly to my sound card, but I've encountered a couple of problems that may occur:

The sound card only has 3 3.5mm Jacks for speakers and sub, Front+Rear and a designated sub jack. Because of this, I'm planning on buying a couple of RCA to 3.5mm cables. None of the cables i've found however  have the RCA portion able to span across my 40" TV, where my audioengine's will be. Will this mean I'll have to buy 1 for each speaker, and Have 1 connect to the front port and 1 to the rear port, and so long as i tell the sound software that I'm using a 2.1 setup, There won't be any difference between connecting to 1 port with 1 RCA to 3.5mm compared to having to do 2?

also, about the speakers... I feel embarrassed to ask this, since I feel the answer should be obvious for me, but if i were going to use 2 RCA to 3.5mm's, I would only put 1 L and 1 R for the respective speaker, not both L and R for each, right?

Now, onto the subwoofer. I chose this over the Dayton SUB 1200 due to the substantial quality increase from what i hear, and is only 50$ more than the Dayton from where i plan to get it. It only has a Sub-In instead of RCA however, and from a couple of reviews, i hear that using a regular cheap RCA cable from the sub to the receiver butchers the quality entirely, and that a decent sub cable is required. Will I be able to use a RCA to 3.5mm converter on a subwoofer cable, and how badly will the quality decrease?

If not, are there any specific Sub to 3.5mm cables out there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

bump

i feel like i made my post too long

Old 04-02-2014, 01:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
The A2s are little bitty driver speakers. Instead, why don't you get this Denon 1513 and the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. That is a better sounding setup, and that will allow you to easily hook up and integrate whatever sub you want. And you shouldn't need that soundcard any more (sell it and get some of your money back) as your computer should already have an optical or HDMI out that you can use to hook up to the receiver.
garyoakfj likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 04-02-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 The A2s are little bitty driver speakers. Instead, why don't you get this Denon 1513 and the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. That is a better sounding setup, and that will allow you to easily hook up and integrate whatever sub you want. And you shouldn't need that soundcard any more (sell it and get some of your money back) as your computer should already have an optical or HDMI out that you can use to hook up to the receiver.

If its a better idea to go with a lower price passive speaker + receiver, I think I'd like to go with the MB42X's instead of the pioneers, and downgrade to a dayton SUB-1200.  what do you mean by bitty drivers, though? does it mean less volume, less quality, less treble/bass control?

Say if i remove and sell the sound card, Won't the sound going to the receiver be sourcing from an integrated sound source (ALC 1150), reducing the sound quality compared to using the sound card?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The A2s have a 2.75" driver. It's just easier for a larger driver to produce more volume, sound better, and have better bass extension. Consequently, if you read the Stereophile review measurements, the A2s have artificially boosted bass to try to make up for their deficiencies.

I don't know enough about the MB42Xs to know if they are better than the Pioneers. But there is LOTS known about the Pioneer Andrew Jones series. Ask the speaker owners here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

If you have optical out or HDMI out on your computer, the sound will be transmitted digitally to the receiver, and then the receiver will process the audio. Thus there is no benefit in having a more expensive sound card.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
If you can get a sound card with Optical output you can easily use that with a receiver. I would spend an extra few bucks on the Pioneers. Not sure about this website but they still have them for $90 http://overstockedgoods.co/Pioneer-PIO-SPBS22LR-review-B008NCD2LG-5

The A2+ only require one RCA cable into just one of the speakers that has the on board amp then you run regular speaker wire from the one speaker to the other. You are not running an RCA cable to each individual speaker.

Two RCA-to-3.5mm cables. One for the A2+'s and one for the Subwoofer.

The Dayton Sub-1200 isn't a bad subwoofer for the money
Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 The A2s have a 2.75" driver. It's just easier for a larger driver to produce more volume, sound better, and have better bass extension. Consequently, if you read the Stereophile review measurements, the A2s have artificially boosted bass to try to make up for their deficiencies.

I don't know enough about the MB42Xs to know if they are better than the Pioneers. But there is LOTS known about the Pioneer Andrew Jones series. Ask the speaker owners here:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

If you have optical out or HDMI out on your computer, the sound will be transmitted digitally to the receiver, and then the receiver will process the audio. Thus there is no benefit in having a more expensive sound card.

Given the pricepoint and known quality, would the small drivers really degrade the quality to be less than 100$ speakers +receiver?

and about the artificial bass boost... well isn't that what a subwoofer is for?

I've done a decent amount of research on the miccas. They're more neutral sounding than the Pioneer's (which are warm sounding, so I imagine they'd be a bit muddy, which I can't stand), and they have a great soundstage.

.....Well $#!+.

I hope ebay till take it for more than 60$. 

Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyoakfj View Post

Given the pricepoint and known quality, would the small drivers really degrade the quality to be less than 100$ speakers +receiver?
and about the artificial bass boost... well isn't that what a subwoofer is for?

I've done a decent amount of research on the miccas. They're more neutral sounding than the Pioneer's (which are warm sounding, so I imagine they'd be a bit muddy, which I can't stand), and they have a great soundstage.

.....Well $#!+.
I hope ebay till take it for more than 60$. 

I would definitely go with passive speakers and a receiver, you get bass management, plenty of connections, network support, and expansion options. I however would recommend getting a better pair of bookshelves now, and maybe adding a sub in a little while. These Infinity Primus P163 are on sale and I would go with them over the Pioneers or Micca's. Then save up a little more and get a sub to go with them.
garyoakfj likes this.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 I would definitely go with passive speakers and a receiver, you get bass management, plenty of connections, network support, and expansion options. I however would recommend getting a better pair of bookshelves now, and maybe adding a sub in a little while. These Infinity Primus P163are on sale and I would go with them over the Pioneers or Micca's. Then save up a little more and get a sub to go with them.

That sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion :)

Old 04-02-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion smile.gif

That's a very good deal for those Infinitys. That would be a nice setup smile.gif

Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

That's a very good deal for those Infinitys. That would be a nice setup smile.gif

Would the budget receiver downgrade the quality any however?

And about the 163 its/themselves... I cant tell if they come in a pair as normal or just 1 bookshelf speaker, give nthat they specify it as "(black, each)"

If they come in a pair, I'm considering getting 2 and a PC251 center speaker for my first 5.1 system.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

Would the budget receiver downgrade the quality any however?
And about the 163 its/themselves... I cant tell if they come in a pair as normal or just 1 bookshelf speaker, give nthat they specify it as "(black, each)"
If they come in a pair, I'm considering getting 2 and a PC251 center speaker for my first 5.1 system.
The are sold as single speaker. So $86 per speaker. Meaning if you want a pair of P163's you will be paying $172
Old 04-18-2014, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 The are sold as single speaker. So $86 per speaker. Meaning if you want a pair of P163's you will be paying $172

...well that sucks.