Updating my home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys i am new this is my first post. I currently own a bose acoustimass and a klipsch quintet with denon avr3806 i want to update speakers since i have read i currently have the worst system. Help please since i did some research and its to many options. Now i narrowed down to klipsch kl650 thx, M&K S150 or JTR triple 12 with this last being the most expensive to operate cause of the separate amps i will need. I just bought an onkyo TXRN-929 and i own a Martín logan dynamo 1000 wich i am currently using with the bose in 7.2 set up. Thanks and let me know whats the best way to go for both music and movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Make sure you are changing for the right reason. Don't change because you read something negative. If you like what you have then keep it. If you want to upgrade then go for it.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks wes it actually sounds good i have taken it to +7db with out any distortion bass is great from the Martín logan and the bose sub actually helps a bit for voices and quicker bass notes. But then again i have never heard a serious top end home theater. Just some demos with proficient audio and kef but actually didnt like them probably they were their starting models. I leave in Guatemala and here is tough to get quality top end audio stuff so i import them from the US. I just want the serious theater experience.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You don't definitely don't have the worst system although the sub is probably pretty terrible. That receiver was $1,300 when it came out and the speaker package has pretty good reviews, but if you have the budget to drop $1,000+ per speaker than ya what you have is going to sound pretty bad compared to what you are talking about getting.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Bose actually is very steep here as its everything. I have some body interested in my system he loved it. Bose is very well marketed here so every body here thinks bose is top notch and they pay for it i might say. So i can get like 2 grand for the amp an the speakers just the 5.1 bose. I saw in ebay 3 klipsch kl650 for around 2 grand i can use the quintets of klipsch for surrounds and surrounds backs ? And get another Martín logan dynamo 1000 or 1500x or a svs 13 is that a good idea ?
post #6 of 16 Old 04-02-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2i2011 View Post

Bose actually is very steep here as its everything. I have some body interested in my system he loved it. Bose is very well marketed here so every body here thinks bose is top notch and they pay for it i might say. So i can get like 2 grand for the amp an the speakers just the 5.1 bose. I saw in ebay 3 klipsch kl650 for around 2 grand i can use the quintets of klipsch for surrounds and surrounds backs ? And get another Martín logan dynamo 1000 or 1500x or a svs 13 is that a good idea ?

Yes.

3 of the Kl650s would be a very serious upgrade to your Quintets. The Dynamo 1500 is a pretty decent sub, but not for the price. You can't go wrong with a SVS ultra.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

Hi guys i am new this is my first post. I currently own a bose acoustimass and a klipsch quintet with denon avr3806 i want to update speakers since i have read i currently have the worst system. Help please since i did some research and its to many options. Now i narrowed down to klipsch kl650 thx, M&K S150 or JTR triple 12 with this last being the most expensive to operate cause of the separate amps i will need. I just bought an onkyo TXRN-929 and i own a Martín logan dynamo 1000 wich i am currently using with the bose in 7.2 set up. Thanks and let me know whats the best way to go for both music and movies.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood you, but you absolutely do not "need" separate amps to run JTR Triple 12HT's (or any JTR speaker for that matter). The Triple 12HT's are a genuine high sensitivity speaker at 101dB/1W(2V)/1m. Your new Onkyo TX-NR929 is quite a powerful AVR and will easily drive the JTR's to absolutely thunderous levels. It also has THX certification which means it is capable of driving 4Ω (nom.) impedance speakers (like JTR) to reference levels.

Of your 3 options JTR gets my vote, however my recommendation would be the JTR Noesis 228HT. It's 3/4 the price of the T12 and gives away very little, if anything in sound quality and dynamics. There's no pics on the website:

For a sub that's a chance of keeping up, take a look at a JTR Captivator S1, and perhaps add a second one down the track if necessary. (You'll score a 5% discount when ordering a package of four or more JTR speakers/subs.)
post #8 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks GIEGAR that sounds like a great package i thought that since i read in other forums and on the JTR web that they need 1600W every body talked about separate amp. They mentioned pro amps like crest, crown, etc. Its great to know i dont need to go down that road and for sure will start looking in to the noesis and were to get them. Thanks alot for the pics 👌
post #9 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
To improve the sound of your receiver by buying good-quality separate amplifiers would cost several thousand dollars, and is not the way to go.

Crown and that sort of "pro" amplifier are not high-fidelity; it is junk; only intended for public-address use.

Your receiver has plenty of power for 99% of the speakers on the market.

What you need is some decent speakers, and Klipsch is the worst of the worst.

For good sound quality, look at speakers from PSB, Wharfedale, Focal, and Monitor Audio or KEF.

Here are some quotes from a Home Theater article on some Klipsch Reference series speakers;

"edgy and unnatural"

"shrill yet murky"

Lacked refinement and speed"

Get the picture? They suck.

For a very good system, consider the following:

Two Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers (around $500)

Two Diamond 10.1 speakers ($349)

A Wharfedale 10CS center speaker ($250).

Similar systems from PSB and Monitor Audio will cost $1000-1500 and sound very good.

BTW- Where is "here"??
post #10 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks commsysman. Here is Guatemala. Its hard to get quality products as the market is small for audio enthusisast. So i import must of everything i like from the US but i cant try them out to see what i like so i turn to you guys that have more experience an probably have heard more systems while choosing yours. Question what about the sub ? Should i match the Martín or go for a different brand with this set up ? The jtr set up sounds great but it serios $$$$ with the freight and tax that i would have to pay. But still considering buying them slow. But this system you mentioned if its the same quality for that money its a no brainer.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Here are some quotes from a Home Theater article on some Klipsch Reference series speakers;

"edgy and unnatural"

"shrill yet murky"

Lacked refinement and speed"

Get the picture? They suck.

Some people will think that your quotes are from a Home Theater / Sound & Vision review.

http://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-rf-82-floorstanding-loudspeakers-reviewed/

post #12 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:

Thanks commsysman. Here is Guatemala. Its hard to get quality products as the market is small for audio enthusisast. So i import must of everything i like from the US but i cant try them out to see what i like so i turn to you guys that have more experience an probably have heard more systems while choosing yours. Question what about the sub ? Should i match the Martín or go for a different brand with this set up ? The jtr set up sounds great but it serios $$$$ with the freight and tax that i would have to pay. But still considering buying them slow. But this system you mentioned if its the same quality for that money its a no brainer.

Don't thank him. He'll start to think that his random blathering is actually helpful.

And don't listen to him. 99.9% of what comes off his keyboard is crap. He hasn't even seen let alone heard 99.9% of what he talks about. He just regurgitates magazine "reviews" many from decades ago.

Go with your original plan and get some high efficiency theater speakers.

Because shipping is going to add so much to your cost, here is a link to some good high efficiency speakers that seem to be a good value-

http://chanemusiccinema.com/Theater-Ten

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #13 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Klipsch speakers don't suck...that is one poster stating his opinion! The sound of horn tweeters isn't for everyone, but a lot of audio enthusiast love them! Me, I don't care much for horn loaded tweeters, but that does not mean I think they suck! Btw, read the review linked and you will find a lot of positives listed, and the primary negative was the size of the speaker, not the sound!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #14 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

To improve the sound of your receiver by buying good-quality separate amplifiers would cost several thousand dollars, and is not the way to go.

Crown and that sort of "pro" amplifier are not high-fidelity; it is junk; only intended for public-address use.

LMAO ........ Almost fell out of my chair..... JBL uses Crown amps to drive their pro ,theater and well regarded high dollar JBL Synthesis systems . They are both Harmon int'l companies.
JBL has been using crown amps for over ~ 40 yrs .

Anybody that says Crown is junk has no clue ! ,.......Crown had a very extensive product line and are often used in pro venue's , recording studios and post production facilities .

Even the inexpensive Crown XLS 1000 can out perform many more expensive so called "high fidelity " amplifiers or any receiver, get into the Crown XLI 's etc and it gets even better . QSC also makes some very good amps .These amps are way beyond consumer THX certification as far as amplification goes .

I use Crown XLI's in the Studio here ( lots of others do also) all the consumer hifi amps that were here including Phase linear 700B's are long gone
not to mention my amps are often on at least 12 some times 16 hours a day .

The Phase Linear's were pretty good but expensive to maintain due to their age and construction but they couldn't outperform a modern Crown amp.

Decent modern amps and decent receivers have mostly inaudible distortion as long as they aren't over driven or under powered for a given speaker .

I prefer outboard amps for the extra overhead and for reference level listening on my speakers.

OTOH A decent receiver and powered subs may be just fine with good quality reasonably efficient speakers of (90+ db@1w@ 1m ) sensitivity. Efficiant speakers can use remarkably less power than inefficient speakers and sound excellent without the need of a lot of power YMMV.

I've owned Bose 301's for surrounds and 701 towers for mains and a VC10 center + a 15" powered sub and a Sony ES 5.1 receiver in my first HT set up for what they are they weren't bad at all they could " THX" a room just fine just not the greatest thing for critical music listening but not unpleasant at all
if not pushed too hard .

As for the SUB keep what you have if you like it and add a sub ..or two ( distributed bass .) 2 or more decent subs in a room (usually at opposite ends ) cancel out room nodes and excessive room gain if placed and adjusted properly 2 will usually perform much better than one sub. (and you don't have to drive them as hard as one , although you can for LFE effects, 2 are usually ,less boomy more musical and smoother bass ) You don't necessarily have to match your sub ,you can but something similar would work well .

I have 3 subs in one system , 2 in another they do a good job and disappear into the rooms quite well.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #15 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
removed double post

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #16 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Wow never heard of chane speakers they look very pro and a good price. But i am starting to get confused every body seems to have different brands they like. I would like to get 3 or more opinions pulling the same direction regarding a certain brand and model of speakers and subs so i know this a solid system. All the speakers mentioned look great and i know every body has different líkes but theres always that gray area i heard i loved them i just already had my system may be in the feature or thats what i want to upgrade to. At least nice not for me but awesome sound. Since i dont get to return anything once its here i have to stick with them or try to sell them if i dont like them and like i said not to many people here for that market. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply Speakers