speakers rms wattage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2014, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello

am looking to buy speakers but i see some speakers rated like Recommended Amplifier Power 20-150 watts per channel.. like polk audio for example they rate all speakers the same way..my question is usually whats the rms for speakers rated like Recommended Amplifier Power 10-100 watts per channel?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Its not done the same way by different manufacturers and is only a guideline at best. Not much to worry about, rather think about the impedance of the speakers (look for a full spectrum measurement) and their sensitivity (make sure you compare like to like as here's another area where there's some variance in the basis of the measurement used by the sellers) when choosing an amp for the speakers....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 04-07-2014, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for reply
i have an amp and am looking for polk audio fxi a6 speakers,, i even cant tell the approximate rms for these speakers?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Really don't matter, unless you buy

a) a really cheap amplifier with low power and poor power supply
b) 4 ohm speakers
c) Inefficient speaker ie 83dB @ 1W.

Most affordable speakers are designed to run with affordable amps, usually once you go higher end, they are sometimes 4 ohm so you need a higher quality amp. You can use a amp that is too powerful, and a amp that is low power. But for the latter you have to be careful it's not clipping, you should be fine unless you have something like a 10-20W amplifier.

But it's good to have reserve power, I use 60W amplifiers, most powerful are 180W per channel (and not AV amplifier rated, true power)

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ppl please am not taking about ohms or amps, i have a clear and simple question,,does anybody knows the the rms wattage for polk audio FXI A6?
They are rated from 20-150 watts, what does this means? This is all i need to know
Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
That a amp between 20 to 150W is recommended.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by uddup76 View Post

Ppl please am not taking about ohms or amps, i have a clear and simple question,,does anybody knows the the rms wattage for polk audio FXI A6?
They are rated from 20-150 watts, what does this means? This is all i need to know
Thsnks

It means they recommend an amp somewhere between 20-150 watts. You want to know more ask Polk....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

Thsnks

The point they are making is this number is pretty useless... Looking at the sensitivity and impedance will tell you how the speaker will perform. Pretty much every receiver out there is capable of playing average sensitivity, 8ohm speakers as loud as you need.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

They are rated from 20-150 watts, what does this means?
It means that they need at least 20 watts to drive them to reasonable listening levels, while more than 150 watts will not gain any additional benefit, and that you may expect good results using an amp rated anywhere in between the two extremes.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Speakers @8ohm
88dB
45hz-27khz
20-150watts
Are they considered good for surrounds?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

Speakers @8ohm
88dB
45hz-27khz
20-150watts
Are they considered good for surrounds?

Yes they will work fine, those FXiA6 are supposed to be used as surrounds.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

hello

I am looking to buy speakers but i see some speakers rated like Recommended Amplifier Power 20-150 watts per channel.. like polk audio for example they rate all speakers the same way..my question is usually whats the rms for speakers rated like Recommended Amplifier Power 10-100 watts per channel?

The actual power required to drive a speaker without amplifier distortion primarily depends on:

(1) Speaker efficiency
(2) Listening distance from speaker to listener
(3) Preference for SPL.

Based on SPL meter readings (fast response, peak hold, C weighting) My main audio system generates peaks of about 90 dB when my wife and I are using it to listen to CDs, DVDs, streaming media, TV, etc. This takes much less than 20 wpc. My speakers have average efficiency and there are subwoofers crossed over at 80 hz in the system. The listening distance is about 12 feet.

If I turn this system all the way up, the SPL meter finds peaks of 107 dB which is uncomfortably loud. No audible clipping. The system is optimized using Audyssey Multieq, and the channel trims are less than +12 dB so I could push them all up and obtain even louder levels, but I don't know if there would be clipping.

Looking at the current state of audio technology, speaker power recommendations should be taken as just that - not hard and fast rules but recommendations. The people who make them have no idea what your specific situation is, and so they are broad approximations.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

this is what i received from polk audio tech

Thanks for contacting me, the recommended wattage is 20-150 watts per channel. So you can keep it at that level or if you want to be really safe and use the rule of thumb for the RMS wattage. So you can run it 75 watts per channel at 6 ohms or 50 watts at 4 ohms, but that's just if you want to be really safe. But like I said we test them for long term usage at 150 watts with 8 ohms and that is a recommended way to use them. If you have any other questions feel free to email me