Set up 3.0 system with infinity primus speakers, please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Speakers Gurus,

I own two Infinity Primus P363 towers and Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver. I don't have a subwoofer yet.

Their major usage is for music, the secondary usage is for movie. I am very satisfied with them. I especially love turning on the "Pure Direct" feature provided by the receiver, because when it's on, the bass produced from P363 is very strong! I am so addictive to the low-pitched audio and the heart trembling feels.

Today I got a Infinity Primus C351 center speaker. But after setting it up, it doesn't meet my expectation. Most of my music only have 2 channels, so in "Pure Direct" mode, the center speaker is not used. But when I turned off the pure direct mode, the receiver weakens the front speakers. In this case, I can hear the sound mostly from the center and no longer strong bass produced from front speakers.

I tried two approaches to fix it. The first one was to use YPAO, it got a little better, but still weaker than the Pure Direct. The second one was to configure it manually, by adjusting the center speaker volume to -8db, but hardly hear any improvement.

So the summary is, in "Pure Direct", center speaker is not used. Not in "Pure Direct", the bass effect is much weaker. I know buying a subwoofer can improve, but that is not the point. My front speakers could have performed stronger, and with the center speaker, the entire experience should have been even better.

Please advice how to fix it... Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Liked: 13
Can't help, BUT, I was looking at those speakers and their center channel. They are cheap $199 each and the center is $199. How do you like them?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

The speakers are awesome. Highly recommended at this price. Don't know about the center yet... Need help to set it up...

post #4 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 419
In pure direct mode, you will just get stereo sound from your L and R, and they will operate in full range. When you activate a sound mode, it will engage the receivers EQ, YPAO, and apply the audio settings YPAO determined during setup.

You need to go into your YPAO settings, and make sure your speakers are set to "large" so they receive the full range signal and play the bass frequencies. Also, I believe there is a sub woofer option, so make sure that is set to off or no. You will definitely benefit from a sub, it will do a better job of playing bass then the towers will, and when you set a crossover, it will take a lot of load off the receiver giving you more headroom.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #5 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Transmaniacon!

After YPAO auto setup, the front and center speakers were set to large. Should I set the center to "small" instead to weaken it? And a stupid question ,if I set the sub to off or no, the crossover should not take effect, right?

post #6 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Yeah if there is no sub then it won't set a crossover. You can experiment with setting the center to small, it doesn't play as low as the towers, but I don't know if YPAO will require a crossover if one of the speakers is set to small.

Your best bet is to get a sub! biggrin.gif

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #7 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by fremont4002 View Post

Hi Speakers Gurus,

I own two Infinity Primus P363 towers and Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver. I don't have a subwoofer yet.

Their major usage is for music, the secondary usage is for movie. I am very satisfied with them. I especially love turning on the "Pure Direct" feature provided by the receiver, because when it's on, the bass produced from P363 is very strong! I am so addictive to the low-pitched audio and the heart trembling feels.

Today I got a Infinity Primus C351 center speaker. But after setting it up, it doesn't meet my expectation. Most of my music only have 2 channels, so in "Pure Direct" mode, the center speaker is not used. But when I turned off the pure direct mode, the receiver weakens the front speakers. In this case, I can hear the sound mostly from the center and no longer strong bass produced from front speakers.

I tried two approaches to fix it. The first one was to use YPAO, it got a little better, but still weaker than the Pure Direct. The second one was to configure it manually, by adjusting the center speaker volume to -8db, but hardly hear any improvement.

So the summary is, in "Pure Direct", center speaker is not used. Not in "Pure Direct", the bass effect is much weaker. I know buying a subwoofer can improve, but that is not the point. My front speakers could have performed stronger, and with the center speaker, the entire experience should have been even better.

Please advice how to fix it... Thank you!!

What sources are you using when running with pure direct off? If it's television then you would expect most of the sound to come from the center. Many movies are like that too, only when the action cranks up do the mains kick in more. Try watching a movie with a lot of bass and see how it sounds.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I am using Chromecast to streaming music from Google play. And can only hear 2 channels coming out.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Music is only 2 channels. You would have to select a sound mode like All Channels Stereo to involve the center too. Or Dolby PL II, Neo:6, etc.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page