New GoldenEar Invisa MPX in-wall / Invisa 650 / SuperSat 60 + SVS PB2000 5.1 Setup First Impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Wow.

This is my first real home theater surround setup, though I've heard a few pretty good ones, I know what good sound is, and I did a lot of listening and research before making my decisions. In my large 6,000 cubic foot space, this setup sounds pretty fantastic. Here are the system details:

Speakers:

• Marantz SR5008
  • Front L/R - GoldenEar Technologies Invisa MPX in-wall
  • Front Center - GoldenEar SuperSat 60
  • Rear Surrounds - GoldenEar Invisa 650 in-ceiling
  • Subwoofer - SVS PB-2000

Room specs:

• 19.5' wide
  • 16.5' deep
  • 19' high flat/raised ceiling
  • Room completely open on one side to kitchen and morning room
  • New construction, recently moved in, house prewired for 5.1.

Impressions:

My budget was $3,500 and I spent every penny of it. I don't think I could have done better with my money.

I reluctantly purchased this system without hearing any of the actual speakers I ended up buying, which was out-of-character for me. After hours upon hours of in-depth research, I was seriously considering a Definitive Technologies setup because I liked the brightness and clarity of their speakers I'd heard in the past, though I had never heard any of their in-wall stuff. (System had to be in-wall due to WAF.) When I went to my local HT store (Soundscape in Baltimore), I was introduced to GoldenEar. Flipping back and forth hearing the GoldenEar Aon bookshelf fronts with a SuperSat 50 center, vs a pair of Definitive bookshelf speakers and center channel, I was shocked at the difference. The Definitives were played first and I thought they sounded great (they did). But then when the GoldenEars came on for the first time I was floored. The sound really is smoooooth and realistic. The highs and mids blend so well together and it just sounds...natural. I was sold immediately, though I sat around BS'ing and listening to them for quite a while longer. I had to take it on faith and after conversations with GoldenEar's Sandy Gross and Dave Peet(?) that the in-walls would sound great and have a pretty similar sound to their cabineted speakers, though obviously not exactly the same. So I made a purchase. Originally I bought the SuperSat 50 with the in-walls, and once I took the plunge and cut holes in my new walls, installed the in-walls and went through the Audyssey setup on the Marantz SR5008 (what an awesome receiver), I felt like the SuperSat 50 center was a little thin, but I could have lived with it. After graciously being allowed to exchange it, I upgraded to the SuperSat 60 and it really did make a nice difference, and it's louder too which is nice since I'm sitting 12' from the center speaker in a big-ass room. Besides some minor tweaks to the volume levels that Audyssey preset and having flipped the little HF EQ switches on the in-walls to +, the system sounds GREAT, especially paired with the sub.

Now, deciding on a subwoofer is not the easiest choice is it? Wow, what a nerve-racking decision. Back and forth -- SVS or HSU? HSU or SVS? Klipsch or Polk? SVS or GoldenEar? PB-2000 or SB-2000? ForceField 4 or 5? Finally I went with my gut and ordered the SVS PB-2000 and I am not disappointed in the least. What a dirty beast. In my opinion, the next step up would be double the price for an SB13-Ultra, and two subwoofers weren't an option (WAF), so, already at the top of my budget I made my decision and am definitely happy with it. Plus it doubles as a sofa side table if you want your martini shaken not stirred. Shakes the whole damn house. I've watched Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds, Top Gun, and the first 10 minutes of Star Trek Into Darkness so far and it's impressive. Love the movie theater feel on those low lows. For music I have absolutely no complaints. I've run some classic rock (Beatles, Creedence, CSN, Neil Young, Moody Blues), musical Hip-Hop (Tribe Called Quest, Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek, Common, Pete Rock, J-Dilla), and Greek folk music through it and the bass response is fantastic, and CLEAN. Oh, and of course the speakers shine too for music listening...big time. Loud and clear.

I'm sure I'll still tweak here and there but nothing's lacking. I would strongly recommend anyone looking at new speakers at any price level to consider GoldenEar. Plus, the owner will call you and chat! How cool is that!!! And they're a local business (to me) so it felt good to support them. If I think of anything else I'll update, but for now I'm just grinning ear-to-ear. Now back to work to finish my day so I can go home and watch TV (65" Samsung UN65F8000). 

-Charlie

mskirsh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the recap! Your room is absolutely monstrous compared to most people, and mine is 4k cubic feet.

I followed your other thread and debated same subs - PSA XV15 and SVS PB-2000.

To me, the PB-2000 looks far better than the XV15, but that's clearly personal preference since many people have posted raving about how much they like the XV15.

What I was worried about were the comments saying I needed duals or to spend more to pressurize my space, etc etc.

I'm still undecided now though because one thing I like about the XV15 is that it's down firing which would help in my near future world of a toddler and I expect to keep this sub for years and years (assuming no upgrade itch smile.gif )
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1 View Post

Thanks for the recap! Your room is absolutely monstrous compared to most people, and mine is 4k cubic feet.

I followed your other thread and debated same subs - PSA XV15 and SVS PB-2000.

To me, the PB-2000 looks far better than the XV15, but that's clearly personal preference since many people have posted raving about how much they like the XV15.

What I was worried about were the comments saying I needed duals or to spend more to pressurize my space, etc etc.

I'm still undecided now though because one thing I like about the XV15 is that it's down firing which would help in my near future world of a toddler and I expect to keep this sub for years and years (assuming no upgrade itch smile.gif )

I would just curious why you think the PB-2000 looks far better? While the grill looks nice, it will most likely contribute to port noise down around 20hz. Vinyl finish is not nearly as durable as the standard finish PSA uses. Also the XV15 has much more headroom in the 40-80hz range.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm also debating between the PB2000 and the XV15.
I want to go with duals, with whatever model I finally decide on.

The PSA XV15 intrigues me because of the bigger driver, but it doesn't seem to dig to deep.
Is that because of the small 500 watt amplifier?

If I decide to buy it and replace the amplifier with a bigger more powerful one, will that increase extension?

BTW - PSA is headquartered just 20 minutes away from where I live. cool.gif

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I would just curious why you think the PB-2000 looks far better? While the grill looks nice, it will most likely contribute to port noise down around 20hz. Vinyl finish is not nearly as durable as the standard finish PSA uses. Also the XV15 has much more headroom in the 40-80hz range.

Just a matter of opinion.. but I think it's moot given I ordered an XV15 earlier today smile.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Some photos of the system...

From the couch - note the beast in the corner:

AppleMark

Front left Invisa MPX in-wall: 

AppleMark

SuperSat 60 Center on a custom floating mantel shelf (4 x 6 chunk of fir):

AppleMark