2.1 system in a Large room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a 2.1 system with tower front speaker and also a decent receiver and sub for under $1200. The room is 20 by 30 ft and it has vaulted ceilings. TV is mounted on top of a fire place (that's the reason I can't get a center for now). I want to use the system for mostly watching TV/Movies using phantom centers.

I have been reading this forum for a while, but can't narrow down my options.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 295
What is the distance from your seating and tv?a picture will be very helpful.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #3 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Take a look at Ascend Acoustics, they have a huge following and make great speakers. The CMT-340 would be a good choice for your fronts, they are MTM, and become towers when you buy the matching stands. Pair that with a Rythmik LV12R sub woofer, and a Denon AVR-E300, and you have a great 2.1 system.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #4 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Take a look at Ascend Acoustics, they have a huge following and make great speakers. The CMT-340 would be a good choice for your fronts, they are MTM, and become towers when you buy the matching stands. Pair that with a Rythmik LV12R sub woofer, and a Denon AVR-E300, and you have a great 2.1 system.
x2
post #5 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

X3

I have the smaller CBM-170 SEs, and they are great speakers. For your size room, I would want the CMT-340 SEs for my front sound stage. The LV12R is perhaps the best sub you could buy for the price. You'd need to spend more on a sub to do better. smile.gif

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. CMT-340 indeed looks like a great option but my wife is going to have an issue with the looks of it. In terms of looks she is ok with things that look like modern furniture something like these http://www.klipsch.com/reference-floorstanding-speakers. Any other suggestions? May be from Klipsch, Keff or Polk? Should I consider these as possible solutions? I'm going to a local store to listen to some of these, I'd like to narrow my options a little bit before going there. smile.gif

@losservatore, The seating distance is about 8 ft.
post #7 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I'm not really into big bass and subwoofer. I like an adequate amount of bass but it's OK if the sub doesn't shake the house. :-) I'd rather spend more money on the fronts than the sub unless you guys think a $600 sub is necessary for this setup.
post #8 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Look at Wharfedale Diamond 10.X (i.e. 10.7). Slight problem is the price, but perhaps you can make some arrangements. I have the 10.7's and they easily passed the wife test.

Nicer looking speakers tend to cost more because of obvious reasons...
post #9 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

These would definitely pass the wife test if she doesn't know the price. wink.gif
post #10 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hormati View Post

Thanks everyone. CMT-340 indeed looks like a great option but my wife is going to have an issue with the looks of it. In terms of looks she is ok with things that look like modern furniture something like these http://www.klipsch.com/reference-floorstanding-speakers. Any other suggestions? May be from Klipsch, Keff or Polk? Should I consider these as possible solutions? I'm going to a local store to listen to some of these, I'd like to narrow my options a little bit before going there. smile.gif

For a system primarily geared at HT, I would recommend skimping on the subwoofer. The deep bass (even if not super loud) adds a lot to the ambiance and impact. +1 for Rythmik (I own the big sealed brother).

I would suggest bookshelves (as everyone is recommending). A good subwoofer will negate the bass advantage of tower speakers and let you save money or get better bookhelfs for the money. I have not listened to the Ascends, so I cannot +1 that suggestion (but it does sound like a good suggestion from what I read). You may also want to look at Arx LCR and HTD Level Three bookshelves. They both use ribbon tweeters which is uncommon at this price and sounds great.
post #12 of 39 Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

If that's the case, check out the EMP Tek E55Ti Towers. They're tall, slender and a lot of speaker for the money. At almost 5' tall they have the advantage of placing your audio source closer to the height of your display (which I take it is quite high if mounted above a fireplace).

Quote:

Also, I'm not really into big bass and subwoofer. I like an adequate amount of bass but it's OK if the sub doesn't shake the house. :-) I'd rather spend more money on the fronts than the sub unless you guys think a $600 sub is necessary for this setup.

The Rythmik LV12R is the class leading sub in that price bracket and my first choice. If you wanted to spend less, something like the SVS PB-1000 is the least I'd recommend for satisfactory bass in your size of room. Plan on a second one down the track - with any luck your wife will dislike the asymmetry of one sub! wink.gif
post #13 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with Rythmik LV12R and the Denon E300 for the sub and receiver.

I still haven't found a good choice for the speakers. You guys changed my mind a little bit. I think, given the quality of the sub, I can just buy good bookshelve speakers, but my wife thinks CMT-340 + stand looks ugly. frown.gif

EMP Tek E55Ti Towers seems like a nice choice although I'm paying a premium for the tower speakers. Also, I'm a little worried that EMP being a newer company, later on I cannot buy a matching center speaker for the set.

Any other bookshelf or even tower suggestions for the size of my room? I really like something I can audition and I can only audition Polk, Klipsch, Keff and Definitive Tech. What do you guys think about RTiA3 or RTiA5?
post #14 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Top decision the Rythmik!

It's a shame your wife doesn't like the look of the Ascends... they're a clear leader in price/performance in my book. You might be interested in this thread where the OP was concerned about what his bride would think of the looks of a 2.1 Ascend/Rythmik system. When they got to listening to them, the looks were quickly forgotten about! (See post #17.) This outcome is quite common in my experience. The OP has since expanded to a full Ascend surround system.

EMP Tek are actually the budget orientated, internet direct arm of the highly regarded and well established RBH Sound. EMP Tek are a solid outfit and I believe they'll be around for the long haul. The matching E56Ci centre channel is a monster too. I'd favour the EMP Teks over Polk RTi's.

Another option is to start with bookshelves for the mains to reduce your initial outlay. Then in future, as budget/circumstances allow, upgrade to floorstanding towers for the mains and repurpose the bookshelves to surround duty. It's a matter of choosing a speaker "family" you like and are prepared to stick with. Here are a few other well regarded options to check out:

Hope that helps and good luck! smile.gif
post #15 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any other bookshelf or even tower suggestions for the size of my room? I really like something I can audition and I can only audition Polk, Klipsch, Keff and Definitive Tech. What do you guys think about RTiA3 or RTiA5?
I personally like the Polk RTi series. I have RTi4's and I like them alot. If the store by you has a decent return policy try them out.
post #16 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I always said that Ascend needs to make a more appealing enclosure for the CMT and CBM.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #17 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I always said that Ascend needs to make a more appealing enclosure for the CMT and CBM.

No they don't. Because then they would cost more smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #18 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Quote:

No they don't. Because then they would cost more smile.gif

Yes they do tongue.gif making a better looking enclosure it shouldn't affect the price ,cutting some corners here and there.

post #19 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes they do tongue.gif making a better looking enclosure it shouldn't affect the price ,cutting some corners here and there.

Cut corners? The CMB-170 SE that I have are great speakers. No reason to reduce the quality.

post #20 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

What do you guys think about Kef Q300 as the fronts in my large room without a center?

In general I can't figure if a pair of speaker are : 1- the right size for my room 2- They are directional or not

Obviously, I don't want a directional speaker in my setting. How do I assess that?
post #21 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Ex
Quote:

What do you guys think about Kef Q300 as the fronts in my large room without a center?

In general I can't figure if a pair of speaker are : 1- the right size for my room 2- They are directional or not

Obviously, I don't want a directional speaker in my setting. How do I assess that?
what do you mean by "directional" speaker??? confused.gif
post #22 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

For some speaker I read that placement could be tricky and the finding the center sweet spot could be a problem. I'm not sure exactly what that means since I haven't experienced that yet.
post #23 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 01:13 PM

Liked: 160
Quote:

Cut corners? The CMB-170 SE that I have are great speakers. No reason to reduce the quality.

I think he means literally cut corners, as in make it a little bit more sleek/curvy and less like a pure rectangle. Not the figurative cut corners that implies a reduction in quality.

I've been reading a lot on the speakers in this price range. Based on all of my searches, these three seem to come up the most frequently (though I went into my searches with the Polks as my front-runner) (possible slight hijack coming, although it is on the topic of speakers around the OP's budget)

The viewpoint I am developing between the three goes like this:

Polk RTi12, $800/pr : Highest build quality, most bass potential (with adequate power), looks are good with the real wood veneer though slightly dated due to boxy squared off cabinet. Should not be hard to drive, even for a typical AVR, so long as you have a capable sub handling the bass ...90 dB sensitivity and 8 ohm nominal impedance...though most people seem to describe them as power hungry and many say they sound even better with a 200+ watt per channel amp. Manufacturer recommends 50-500 watts. Most impressions seem to be that they are accurate and forward in the highs, some people might say bright. Matching center channel, CSi5, seems adequate though maybe not an actual ideal match to the towers (6.5" drivers vs the 5.25" mids in the towers, and no woofers)

EMP Tek E55Ti, $695/pr : The specifications say these should be the hardest of the three to drive due to an 88 dB sensitivity and 6 ohm nominal impedance. Manufacturer recommends 50-200 watts. Subjectively they are usually described as less bright/accurate or more dark/neutral /laid back than the Polks. These might be the sleekest looking of the three, even if the build quality is a little less than the Polks, mostly due to the curved cabinet vs the boxiness of the Polks (it's worth noting that these weigh nearly 30 lbs less, each, than the Polks, and are a full 8" less deep). These should be capable of decent bass, though not as much as the Polks. The matching center channel is a lower sensitivity yet (87 dB), but sports the best compliment of drivers among the matching center channels in this trio. Dual 6.5" woofers, dual 5.25" mid range woofers, and a tweeter, arranged WMTMW, meaning the center is a single 6.5" woofer short of matching the towers' drivers. This center is 31" long!

Ascend CMT-340 SE, $826 w/pedestals : Easily the least aesthetic of the bunch, the pictures make them look like inexpensive plain (even cheap) black plastic/vinyl rectangles. Same sensitivity (90 dB) and nominal impedance (8 ohm) as the Polks, manufacturer recommends 35-240 watts (that is the lowest minimum recommended wattage, which may be worth noting for those powering them with only a mid level AVR as part of a 5.x channel setup). Supposedly they work well for larger rooms and have 'wide dispersion', but are likely the least bass-inclined of the three as they have only the dual 6.5" drivers...but with an anechoic frequency response down to 48hz they shouldn't have any limitations when used in a system with a typical 80hz cross to competent subwoofage. The center channel is a perfect match, as it seems to actually be the exact same speaker. These also seem to have the most limited selection of additional matching speakers for expansion into other channels for HT use (no bipole/dipole speakers, for example). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hormati View Post

Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a 2.1 system with tower front speaker and also a decent receiver and sub for under $1200. The room is 20 by 30 ft and it has vaulted ceilings. TV is mounted on top of a fire place (that's the reason I can't get a center for now). I want to use the system for mostly watching TV/Movies using phantom centers.

I have been reading this forum for a while, but can't narrow down my options.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. smile.gif

Unfortunately with a budget at or near $1,200 for the towers, and the AVR, AND the sub, all three of these choices may be out of your reach. Subs don't seem to get GOOD until $500, so even with a very inexpensive and basic $200 AVR, that's already more than half the budget for a sub and AVR...leaving only $500 for both towers. There are definitely options at that price point though.

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #24 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

Quote:

I think he means literally cut corners, as in make it a little bit more sleek/curvy and less like a pure rectangle. Not the figurative cut corners that implies a reduction in quality.

That's exactly what I mean smile.gif thanks....

I'm not talking about their quality ,they definitely are a very good sounding speakers, many owners wont lie about that.

post #25 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turlen View Post

Look at Wharfedale Diamond 10.X (i.e. 10.7). Slight problem is the price, but perhaps you can make some arrangements. I have the 10.7's and they easily passed the wife test.

Nicer looking speakers tend to cost more because of obvious reasons...

Don't know if they are still on sale, but musicdirect.com had the Diamond series on sale for 20% off I believe. Saw that in an e-mail I got from them.

Cliff
post #26 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The strongest point of each.

Polk (bass)
Ascend (tweeter)
Emp tek (mid range)

post #27 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

What do you guys think about Klipsch RB-61 II Bookshelf Speakers or Kef Q300?

I auditioned the RB-61 at Frys and I thought it sounded pretty good. They both run at around $500 to $600. Pair with Rythmik LV12R sub woofer and Denon E300 or E400, I think should be a decent system for around $1200 to $1300. Any thoughts?
post #28 of 39 Old 04-12-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The klipsch have a nice sparkling sound that is great for movies but some people find Klipsch to be bright/fatiguing to listen to.

The KEF have a very wide dispersion and more neutral sound.

post #29 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 AM

Liked: 15

POLK RTIA'1s!

post #30 of 39 Old 04-13-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great explanation. smile.gif

Do you think if I get the Marantz NR1403 instead of Denon E300 (or X1000), with bookshelf speakers (Kef Q300) I would have power issues down the road (if I go to 3.1 or 5.1)?

THe problem is that E300 would be a little too tight in my cabinet, about 1.2 inch of clearance on top.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page