Martin Logan motion 40's or Ascend Acoustics Sierra S2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi guys, which will be better? i can get the Martin Logan motion 40's open box for $340 less than the Sierra S2.
Also i already have a sub.
This will go into my movie theater. I will listen to music as well.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Femi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Based on what I've read, the Sierras haven't had any negatives for the price. Not everyone has liked the ML's high frequencies.

However, if there is a return policy, why not try the 40's and return them if you don't like them?
post #3 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

However, if there is a return policy, why not try the 40's and return them if you don't like them?
I agree...that would be the best. Also take advantage of Ascend's trial policy, or look for a Sierra-2 that would be willing to have you over for a listen.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was just told the Sierra-2 is back ordered and has at least 2 months wait time, yep they are that good.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I agree...that would be the best. Also take advantage of Ascend's trial policy, or look for a Sierra-2 that would be willing to have you over for a listen.

The Sierra 2 is sentient? smile.gif

post #6 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The Sierra 2 is sentient? smile.gif
oops...I guess I left out a word. biggrin.gif

should be "a Sierra-2 owner".

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #7 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd have a real problem if my speakers started invitng their friends over without asking me first.... smile.gif

post #8 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'd have a real problem if my speakers started invitng their friends over without asking me first.... smile.gif

I don't know, depends on who, if it's sketchy white van speakers, probably wouldn't want them over. But if they invited over some SongTowers I can't say that I'd have a problem with it.

post #9 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

I don't know, depends on who, if it's sketchy white van speakers, probably wouldn't want them over. But if they invited over some SongTowers I can't say that I'd have a problem with it.

The speaker friends I wouldn't have any problem with but its them humans I worry about. Family gatherings would be cool, and am sure my various Ascend speakers particularly would like to see their Tower and Horizon cousins for a visit....smile.gif

post #10 of 25 Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys for the tips
post #11 of 25 Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM

Liked: 10
I would also like to get some opinions on the comparison of these 2 speakers. I put a deposit on a 5.1 ML set at BB. I have 6 months to decide or they refund my money. I've searched but couldn't find any direct comparisons. Any help is much appreciated. I'm still gonna ask around if anybody would invite me into their home to demo some Sierra's or other Ascend speakers.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Based on what I've read, the Sierras haven't had any negatives for the price. Not everyone has liked the ML's high frequencies.

It's funny, I read that a lot. Not ML's - but ID vs. b&m. I wonder if it's because for every ID speaker that's listened to there are oh, lets be conservative and say 100 people listening to the (in this case) ML's. Not only that - in home trials. How many of that '100' listened to the ML in someones home, in a nicely set up environment?

You have to take everything you read with a grain of salt. You also have to understand when someone likes a speaker (or dislikes it) the environment in which they heard it in.

The only person in the world who can compare the two would be the person who is listening.

OP - if you do manage to get an 'in home' trial of the Sierra's - I strongly suggest you bring a pair of the motion 40's along with you to hear them in the same environment. Otherwise, you're doing neither speaker a favor by that type of comparison.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #13 of 25 Old 04-18-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 446
^
And then return the Motion's after they listen to both and save $500. It is tough to compare a tower to a bookshelf even though I have no doubt the Sierra can hang. At almost $1000 per speaker for the Motion 40s I would recommend buying the Sierra Tower - not comparing apples to apples with a 40 vs. 2 - even though the Sierra 2 with the RAAL tweeter is really that special.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos coming soon and Dolby Surround isn't too shabby either.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-18-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Actually it would cost him $340 more - read the OP original post again. And how do you know he would prefer Sierra or ML? That's really presumptuous of you don't you think. I'm not saying he won't - I'm just stating the obvious - you gotta listen to both in the same environment and go from there with what you feel is best.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #15 of 25 Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

It's funny, I read that a lot. Not ML's - but ID vs. b&m. I wonder if it's because for every ID speaker that's listened to there are oh, lets be conservative and say 100 people listening to the (in this case) ML's. Not only that - in home trials. How many of that '100' listened to the ML in someones home, in a nicely set up environment?

You have to take everything you read with a grain of salt. You also have to understand when someone likes a speaker (or dislikes it) the environment in which they heard it in.

The only person in the world who can compare the two would be the person who is listening.

OP - if you do manage to get an 'in home' trial of the Sierra's - I strongly suggest you bring a pair of the motion 40's along with you to hear them in the same environment. Otherwise, you're doing neither speaker a favor by that type of comparison.

Since the OP can get the ML's for $340 less than the Sierra's (then someone said there's a 2 month wait for those!), so I said try out the ML's so this way if he likes them then he can keep them and save money - which is why I presume he mentioned the cost difference.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Since the OP can get the ML's for $340 less than the Sierra's (then someone said there's a 2 month wait for those!), so I said try out the ML's so this way if he likes them then he can keep them and save money - which is why I presume he mentioned the cost difference.

I love my Ascend's but waiting 2 months is a looooooong time. Waiting for audio gear to arrive is the equivalent of watching paint dry in dog years...or being 4 dreams down in inception.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #17 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post

I love my Ascend's but waiting 2 months is a looooooong time. Waiting for audio gear to arrive is the equivalent of watching paint dry in dog years...or being 4 dreams down in inception.

I ordered my Horizon on Jan. 3rd and it shipped yesterday, some things are worth the wait when you'll have them for years to come. That's a great deal on the MLs - almost half off - I guess it reveals the markup on them and again demonstrates for me the reason to go ID when possible and cut out the mark up/increase the value ratio.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos coming soon and Dolby Surround isn't too shabby either.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

I purchase the ML's and they sound great smile.gif. But now i am wondering will the Sierra S2 sound better?
post #19 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

I have search this forum and others and i can't find a single bad review on the Sierra S2. Are they really that great?
post #20 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Liked: 23
You can take advantage of their 30-day trial. The best way to find out is to have them in your room connected to your setup.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I ordered my Horizon on Jan. 3rd and it shipped yesterday, some things are worth the wait when you'll have them for years to come. That's a great deal on the MLs - almost half off - I guess it reveals the markup on them and again demonstrates for me the reason to go ID when possible and cut out the mark up/increase the value ratio.

I agree. I'd definitely wait if I knew a product was right for me. Having owned Ascend, I can justify that it's worth the wait. But I think the decision becomes more difficult when you haven't heard a product. And +1 on going with ID.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #22 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

I purchase the ML's and they sound great smile.gif. But now i am wondering will the Sierra S2 sound better?

Quote:

I have search this forum and others and i can't find a single bad review on the Sierra S2. Are they really that great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post

You can take advantage of their 30-day trial. The best way to find out is to have them in your room connected to your setup.
+1...the best way is to compare them yourself.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #23 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well you know that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. You can always get something better if you spend more money. It's up to you when it's going to end and how much money you want to spend.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well you know that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. You can always get something better if you spend more money. It's up to you when it's going to end and how much money you want to spend.

Hi charmerci, are u saying the Sierra S2 is better than ML's?
post #25 of 25 Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Haven't heard either. Just talking in generalities....and from experience! rolleyes.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page