Just got Polk 55t and need help matching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

So I just got the polk monitor 55ts from the newegg sale. I need a matching center and I had the following questions if anyone could help me out:

1. Would it be better to match these with a 15c or a 25c? Would a 25c be "too much?" Sorry, I'm really dumb when it comes to audio.

2. It looks like it's really hard to find the 15c. What else could I use instead that'd be a great match? I'm looking at the polk cs1/10, cs2/20. It looks like best buy/amazon have the TSX150C as well. If I got any of these, would they not match my 55ts as well as a 15c/25c?

=====

I also have some questions about rears.

1. I have the Klipsch QUINTET 5.0 Speaker System (Black HG). Is it sufficient to use these for my rears? Will they be considerably worse or just downright bad to use with the 55ts?

2. Similar to my center question, what are my options to match rears with my 55ts?

=====

Sub questions :/

1. I have a BIC America F12 sub. Is a sub necessary for floorstanding speakers?

And one final question:

How much better should these polks be over my Klipsch Quintets with the BIC America sub? smile.gif

Sorry for such noob questions. I'm very new to audio. Thanks to anyone who can help me. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 AM

Liked: 50
http://www.avsforum.com/t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/34500#post_24604285 Here's a great place to ask your ?s. You'll get tons of advice LOL. biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #3 of 18 Old 04-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Liked: 160

A sub is benefiticial even with floorstanding speakers. You will almost surely benefit from using the BIC F12 along with the towers

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #4 of 18 Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by copybeaver View Post

Hello everyone,

So I just got the polk monitor 55ts from the newegg sale. I need a matching center and I had the following questions if anyone could help me out:

1. Would it be better to match these with a 15c or a 25c? Would a 25c be "too much?" Sorry, I'm really dumb when it comes to audio.

2. It looks like it's really hard to find the 15c. What else could I use instead that'd be a great match? I'm looking at the polk cs1/10, cs2/20. It looks like best buy/amazon have the TSX150C as well. If I got any of these, would they not match my 55ts as well as a 15c/25c?

=====

I also have some questions about rears.

1. I have the Klipsch QUINTET 5.0 Speaker System (Black HG). Is it sufficient to use these for my rears? Will they be considerably worse or just downright bad to use with the 55ts?

2. Similar to my center question, what are my options to match rears with my 55ts?

=====

Sub questions :/

1. I have a BIC America F12 sub. Is a sub necessary for floorstanding speakers?

And one final question:

How much better should these polks be over my Klipsch Quintets with the BIC America sub? smile.gif

Sorry for such noob questions. I'm very new to audio. Thanks to anyone who can help me. smile.gif
You can go with either the Polk Monitor 15c or 25c. It all depends what is in your budget and how much space you have for a center. Either speaker will work and match.

The 25c will not be too much as the receivers auto calibration mode will match the speakers so they are all outputting on the same level. with each other.

If you can't find a 15c but you can afford and fit a 25c I would recommend the 25c.
- - - - - - - - - - -
There is no real need to match the surrounds like there is with the front 3 speakers. The quintet's will work though they require a much higher crossover than you would use with the Polk 55t's and the 25c if you go that route. So it would be nice if you have a receiver that allows you to set a crossover for each speaker region. What receiver do you have?

You could go with adding Polk Monitor 35b's or Monitor 30's or if you don't want something on that large on the wall Polk OWM3's
- - - - - - - - - - -
Yes I recommend a subwoofer with those towers. Subwoofers are just better at producing low bass notes than most towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

55t?

Do you mean the TSx550T?

And I think you are asking about the TSx150C and TSx250C.

Looking at the specs on Polk's website I'd rather get the TSx250C for the center channel. And no it wouldn't be too much for the TSx550T's.

A sub is benefiticial even with floorstanding speakers. Those towers only have a lower 3dB limit listed as 36 hz. The BIC F12 has a listed frequency response down to 25 hz, and will definitely have an easier time with the low frequencies than the tower.
Nope he meant Polk Monitor 55t's, They are a third version of Polk's Monitor line with tweeter repositioned.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

There is no real need to match the surrounds like there is with the front 3 speakers. The quintet's will work though they require a much higher crossover than you would use with the Polk 55t's and the 25c if you go that route. So it would be nice if you have a receiver that allows you to set a crossover for each speaker region. What receiver do you have?

You could go with adding Polk Monitor 35b's or Monitor 30's or if you don't want something on that large on the wall Polk OWM3's

I got a Denon 1612 a long time ago. It looks like you can set crossover. I actually can't place speakers on the wall :/. So I'd have to go with a stand solution for the rears. I'm so tempted to get a 35b or monitor 30. I think I want to see how the Klipsch Quintets do before I make that plunge since the bookshelfs are much better than the satellites.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got a Denon 1612 a long time ago. It looks like you can set crossover. I actually can't place speakers on the wall :/. So I'd have to go with a stand solution for the rears. I'm so tempted to get a 35b or monitor 30. I think I want to see how the Klipsch Quintets do before I make that plunge since the bookshelfs are much better than the satellites.
Go ahead and try them out since you already have them.

When setting them up though I would reference page 61 of your manual to the receiver (link) as you will want to use the advanced settings to set the crossover for the front speakers to 80hz and Surrounds Quintet's 120hz or 150hz which ever sounds best to your ears.

If you got any other questions just post again.

BTWs the speaker stands you will use for the Quintet's will likely not support the Monitor 30's as they are a bit heavier.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome thanks for all the help! Yeah the downside is I'd have to buy new stands at like 70 bucks for the bookshelf speakers.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

So when I'm setting a crossover on these speakers, I'm basically telling the receiver to route anything below a certain frequency to my subwoofer? Does this mean I'll end up losing some of the "surround sound" location to wherever I place my subwoofer?

Thanks!
post #9 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:

So when I'm setting a crossover on these speakers, I'm basically telling the receiver to route anything below a certain frequency to my subwoofer? Does this mean I'll end up losing some of the "surround sound" location to wherever I place my subwoofer?
No, because those low frequencies are not directionally locatable. It doesn't matter where they're coming from, all the directional cues will still come from the mains and surrounds.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome thanks for all the help! Yeah the downside is I'd have to buy new stands at like 70 bucks for the bookshelf speakers.
They aren't that expensive
-SANUS SYSTEMS BF-24B Wood Speaker Stands
-SANUS SYSTEMS BF-31B Wood Speaker Stands, $38.36
post #11 of 18 Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

post #12 of 18 Old 04-17-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Argh, another question. I have a tv stand that's 24 inches high. I presume the middle shelf is about 14 inches high. This is where I'd put my center speaker. Though that'd be too low. My 55ts from bottom to top are ~35 inches. I think I have the following options:

1. Wall mount the tv then place the center speaker on the top shelf of my tv stand. Then there'll be a 3-4 inch difference between the top of the center to the top of the fronts.

2. Angle my center with a mopad or something.

Personally I don't care about whether my tv is on a stand or is mounted. I'd rather not go through the trouble of mounting my tv in that case. But if I did, would my sound be considerably better than if I angled (or didn't angle)?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
post #13 of 18 Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

1) would be best.

2) Would work and the way the Monitor 15c or 25c are set up so ou can angle them up. The box was designed that way to allow for it.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-18-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Alas I have finished my speakers (still need to cut some foam myself to angle the center).

I ended up with 4 monitor 55ts for fronts and surrounds :/ I couldn't resist them at 50 bucks a piece. I know I lose the flexibility of hanging, but I can't hang anything anyways. This at least rids me of trying to find stands and dealing with those.

Then newegg just dropped the 25c to 150. Along with the 14 day price match, I think I'm good. So I went ahead and got that.

Then I have an old BIC F12 from a while ago that I can use.

I hope this turns out really well. smile.gif

Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it!
post #15 of 18 Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Sorry for thread stealing, but I also just picked up the 55T's from Newegg and had some questions regarding a center channel speaker.

I don't have space for a 25C so I was looking into the 15C (black). For some reason, I can't seem to find any in stock? Is this model discontinued, or is there some kind of shortage? I could get a Polk CS1, but I'm not sure how that would match. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

post #16 of 18 Old 04-19-2014, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Sentinel,

I was in the exact same situation and here is what I've learned (anyone correct me if I'm spreading BS):

1. The CS1 and CS10 will match the 55Ts just fine.

2. The 15C hasn't been in stock really anywhere as far as I know. You may get lucky with Polk putting one on ebay. Actually I think someone might be selling his/her 15c in the Polk thread... it might be a CS10 though I can't really remember. It looks like Polk sold a 15C on ebay on feb 4 so they may put them up again.

I'd be happy to help you out in any way possible as others have for me.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info!

In that case, I may end up getting a CS20 locally off craigslist. I have 7 1/2" between my TV and the top shelf of my stand, and the CS20 measures in at 7 3/8". :) 

post #18 of 18 Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

One thing you might want to watch out for though. You may end up wanting to angle the center towards your listening position. I think cutting the height so close might not allow you to do that :P

But I hear it should be fine anyways without angling.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page