I'm a blank slate looking for advice on computer speakers. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm not an audiophile. For the longest time I simply used some store brand 2.1 speakers from Radioshack since I got a discount. I enjoyed them well enough, even though I knew they weren't great speakers. I lost those in a move and am currently using a JBL Flip that i got for free. It functions, and is great as a portable speaker, but I'm going crazy using it as a computer speaker. Recently I listened to some sets at a Best Buy and remembered what I was missing with proper speakers. Then I got to the Klipsch ProMedias. Those sounded fantastic to my ears! Well I do some talking about my intentions to get some better speakers for myself, and was told that I would be happier with a good set of bookshelf speakers than "common" 2.1 setups like Logitech or Klipsch. Well, I know that I would enjoy the ProMedias better than what I have now. The question is would something work even better? I'm actually fairly interested in building a flatpack now because I like the idea of putting something together and assume some of the kits sound great. The benefit of that would be upgrading different parts of my system in the future as I see fit. ie adding a sub.

I'm looking to spend around $200 total. 

They will be computer speakers in my basement bedroom for listening to music and watching movies.

I imagine that they would be at the ends of my desk which about 5 feet wide, but I'm OK with making/getting stands if it would help. The room is 10'x28'

I don't usually play my music so that the neighbors can hear it, but I do enjoy bass. Playing something loud with good bass makes me want to dance and move :D

A good example of what I would be listening to would be http://grooveshark.com/s/Dummy+Head/6NSywa?src=5 I get much of my music from Spotify and Grooveshark. 

Here is what I've been looking at, but I'm here for suggestions, so let me know you think please.

Klipsch ProMedia - Sounds great, and already has a sub. Has many great reviews from the PC crowd. 

Swan D1080 Mk IV - Nice looking pair of 2.0 speakers on a group buy sale. They seem like they would perform alright, and are already powered.

Overnight Sensations - 2.0 speakers with tons of great reviews. I love the idea of putting them together myself, and would probably pair them with a mini amp like this

What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Out of those choices, and for that budget, I'd say you're on track with the ProMedia's.  Before I bought my receiver and bookshelves, that is what I used and I thought they were more than adequate.

Other options are to go with a pair of studio monitors, such as M-Audio AV-40's.  They are near-field speakers, powered and have nice linear reproduction.  You won't get the bass the ProMedias will give you, but the rest of the spectrum will be stronger.  Since they're monitors, they may not sound as lively either (designed to be flat for mixing), but they'll give you a better quality reproduction.

The other thing to consider with a computer is a decent sound card.  OEM and onboard sound will not output very good quality material to your speakers.  You can have a $4k sound system hooked up and professionally RTA'ed, but it will still sound flat with onboard sound.  Down the road you might look into an X-Fi Titanium HD or the comparable Xonar ST if you want the best sound quality.  I've never looked back since getting my X-Fi HD.  The DAC's are much better standard than even my previous X-Fi.  Worth the money in the long run.

Living Room - Emotiva UMC-200 || Emotiva XPA-5 || Martin Logan ESL - Motif X - Scenarios || SVS BP12+ || Oppo BDP 103 || PS4 - XIM4 || Samsung UN65HU7250FX
Gaming Room - Maximus V Extreme || i7 3770K @ 4.3Ghz w/ H100i || 128Gb Samsung 840 pro - OS || 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro - Games || 3TB Caviar Black || Evga 980 SC || X-Fi HD || Silent Pro 1000w || Dell U3011 || Marantz SR5003 || Axiom M22 - VP100 - M3 || Velodyne DEQ-10r
post #3 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 AM

+1 Promedias--I've had them for years and still enjoy them.

Denon AVR 1709 + B&W 683s floors + B&W HTM62 center + Energy ESW-8HG Sub
Yamaha HTR-6050 + JBL Studio 530 + Studio 520C
post #4 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 501
There are NO powered speakers for anything like $200 that have any bass; $1000 would be more like it.

I use a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers with my PC, which are very nice and cost $200, but don't expect any significant bass.

I use an inexpensive subwoofer with them, which is adequate for the volume levels I am using sitting at my PC; that would work for most people.

That works nicely for me.

If you want serious bass at fairly high volumes, then plan on spending $500 or more for the subwoofer.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

There are NO powered speakers for anything like $200 that have any bass; $1000 would be more like it.

The Klipsch ProMedias are only $139 and put out a lot of bass for their compact size and low price. I am used to large bass in the HT from Velodyne subwoofers and yet still never fail to be impressed with the level of bass from the Klipsch ProMedias in my office. If you want another inexpensive addition to up the sound quality even further, pick up a Dragonfly DAC to plug the Klipsch Promedia cord into.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promedia-2-1-speaker-system-3-piece/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232&st=klipsch computer speakers&cp=1&lp=2

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-DragonFly-Digital-Converter-Version/dp/B00882U782/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397574547&sr=1-2&keywords=dragonfly

post #6 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frraksurred View Post

The other thing to consider with a computer is a decent sound card.  OEM and onboard sound will not output very good quality material to your speakers.  You can have a $4k sound system hooked up and professionally RTA'ed, but it will still sound flat with onboard sound.  Down the road you might look into an X-Fi Titanium HD or the comparable Xonar ST if you want the best sound quality.  I've never looked back since getting my X-Fi HD.  The DAC's are much better standard than even my previous X-Fi.  Worth the money in the long run.
You clearly have the disease, you just recommended a soundcard that costs more than the speakers.

Even 50% of the cost of the speakers (the Dragonfly) is out of whack.

Twistthem, that's not the way to go. Spend most of the budget on speakers, that's where you'll hear a difference.

Try it on your system and see how it sounds. There are plenty of moderately priced USB soundcards that will eliminate any PC sound issues - if you find out you need that - for much less.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Alright, so based off of the few reviews here I picked up the ProMedias today after work. I'm listening to them right now and they are a dream. I actually have the bass and volume at 1/3 turn and that's probably max what I'll have when my roommate is home. These things can get loud, and I haven't noticed any distortion during my, albeit short, time listening to them. I'm almost worried that they are too powerful and I'll get carried away, but there's nothing wrong with have more sound on reserve right? If I ever have a purpose for another set of speakers i'll probably build some book shelfs just so I can enjoy doing it, but for now I'm completely satiated. 

And if by some reason I change my  mind within the month I'll just return them, but I doubt that will happen. 

post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM

Liked: 19

Congratulations on your purchase. FWIW I've had mine over a year and still love them.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Glad to hear it Twisthem, hope you enjoy them.

Living Room - Emotiva UMC-200 || Emotiva XPA-5 || Martin Logan ESL - Motif X - Scenarios || SVS BP12+ || Oppo BDP 103 || PS4 - XIM4 || Samsung UN65HU7250FX
Gaming Room - Maximus V Extreme || i7 3770K @ 4.3Ghz w/ H100i || 128Gb Samsung 840 pro - OS || 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro - Games || 3TB Caviar Black || Evga 980 SC || X-Fi HD || Silent Pro 1000w || Dell U3011 || Marantz SR5003 || Axiom M22 - VP100 - M3 || Velodyne DEQ-10r
post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 50
More expensive than the OP was gonna spend, but I have a pair of he KEF X300A being delivered tomorrow...

I will use them with a Creative SoundBlaster Z sound card, which seems pretty nice thus far....just installed that about 3 days ago...

Got my ML Dynamo sub all hooked up to the soundcard, with my old speakers, and it sounds pretty good....

I'm looking for a big upgrade with these new speakers, as the reviews have been very good...

Should be here by 10:30 am Friday morning......

I'll report back, if anyone is interested...

Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page