Home Theater upgrade/ replace for around $2k - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hmm. This has me concerned that I am not really going to see much difference between the Sony STR-DH710 I have and the Denon AVR-X1000.  Looks like power specs are pretty close.  I will be using this as a 2.1 or 3.1 system for at least two years as I mentioned.  

Better to keep the Sony and put $300 more into speakers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 AM

Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypenguin View Post

Hmm. This has me concerned that I am not really going to see much difference between the Sony STR-DH710 I have and the Denon AVR-X1000.  Looks like power specs are pretty close.  I will be using this as a 2.1 or 3.1 system for at least two years as I mentioned.  

Most people will never notice the difference in power between any two AVR's.

What you will notice will be the features. Room correction software, connectivity, etc. For example, I had an old Sony STR-DG520 before I went to the X1000. I gained the built in internet radio tuners, more audio decoders (including for HD audio, which the sony didn't have), audio over HDMI instead of only video pass-through and having to go to optical or lesser for audio, Airplay, Audyssey MultEQ XT, zone 2 capability, and I suppose a little bit more power perhaps. 

I'm not very familiar with your current AVR but maybe with your current budget it is worth keeping. I don't know. Just at a glance, I'd say that unless you put a high value on one or more of the extra features, maybe that $300 would be better spent on speakers or sub (get a center right away to go with the towers, spring for a second sub, whatever)

Sony doesn't have the best reputation for AVR's, or audio equipment in general, around here, but your model seems to have what is 'necessary' as far as I can tell

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #33 of 34 Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypenguin View Post

$300 more for speakers, does not guarantee better sound quality.
Do not get too caught up in judging speaker sound, by the dollar.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #34 of 34 Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12

Many thanks to all who suggested spending more on a sub. I picked up and installed my new Reaction Audio BPS-212 Turbo yesterday, and wow!  The sound improvement just by replacing the sub is incredible!  This thing has no problem filling my room (17x22 with 12' ceilings) with great sounding, powerful, bass.  It can kick hard, and dig low. I am very impressed.  I have it positioned in the corner of the room with the map plate facing the corner and the two drivers pointed at the walls.  The bass is not directional at all, you just feel it.  My wife also approves.  She likes the simple styling and the magnetic grills got a reaction of "Oh! That's cool!".  I put on Rolling in the Deep by Adele, one of her recent favorite songs, and got a huge grin.  

I only had about 15 minutes to listen / tweek last night, but I am 100% assured this sub will provide us with an excellent listening experience.  

I also would like to recommend Reaction Audio in general.  In my opinion, Jeremy is delivering very high quality sound at an excellent price, and with a focus on what really keeps people in business: customer service. 

zieglj01 likes this.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page