Upgrading Energy RC-Micro Speakers - Size Constraints - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey Guys,
I'm a newbie when it comes to audio and am looking for some advice on upgrading my current setup. I have a Denon 1713 receiver, the Energy RC Micro set of speakers, and a Polk PSW 505 sub. My living room is about 13'x13', but opens into the kitchen and dining room. I think the sound is pretty good, but have been offered a pair of CB-5's at a good price and was wondering if they are worth it. Will they be much better than the micros? Will my micro center still be sufficient?

I'm limited on size of speakers because my TV sits atop a corner fireplace shelf. Of course I put as large of a tv as I could up there, so I'm limited on the size of the front speakers and center channel. The CB-5's are probably as big as I'd want sitting up next to the TV. In terms of the center channel, the micro center is 3.5" tall, and already starting to infringe on the bottom of the tv. I'd likely want to stay no taller than 4" on the center if it was thought that I should upgrade. I'd likely keep the micro surrounds as they are mounted on the walls, and aren't too bad.

I'm open to any thoughts you guys have
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I would go with the CB-5's.

You can still use the Micro Center.

Just make sure you edit the crossovers so the CB-5's are crossed over at 80hz and the RC-Micro Center is crossed over at 150hz along with the RC-Micro surrounds.

They do sell center channel speaker shelfs which would allow for a larger center to sit on top of your TV
post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
I think the sound is pretty good, but have been offered a pair of CB-5's at a good price and was wondering if they are worth it. Will they be much better than the micros? Will my micro center still be sufficient?

Go with the CB-5's. I've got some Micro's in my bedroom at my fathers house. They do sound small and thin but better than TV speakers. I'm only there twice a month so its fine for my needs but if I was using it daily I'd want something else.

Actually I found a pair of cheap RC Mini's sats a couple of months ago and replaced the fronts with that and went with a phantom center. I actually have a RC Mini center I'll be taking there this weekend. I only use the Micros for surrounds now.

If you have space for a CC-5 you should get one eventually.

Afro GT
post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Is there anything in between sizes of the cb-5s and energy micros that you would recommend which would be worth upgrading to at a reasonable price? I do worry the cb-5s may be a bit large on the mantle
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 79
RC-Mini or V-Mini if you can find them.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I never consider some small towers. How would something like the Pioneer SP-FS51 work, they seem budget friendly since they are discontinued. How would they compare to CB-5s
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page