Choosing speakers for a dedicated home theater - need some advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to decide on the speakers for our new home theater. I have narrowed it down to these options:

Definitive Technology
Mains - BP-8060ST
Center - CS-8060HD
Surrounds - SR-8040BP
Sub - none

Golden Ear
Mains - Triton 3
Center - SuperCenter XL
Surrounds - SuperSat 3
Sub - none

B&W
Mains - 683
Center - HTM61
Surronds - DS3
Sub - ASW61ST

Martin Logan
Mains - Motion 40
Center - Motion 30
Surrounds - Motion FX
Sub - DYN700W

The receiver will be a Denon AVR-X4000

The room is 13' in the front and 15' in the back, 17' deep with 8.5' ceiling. Insulated walls with drywall. Carpet over concrete slab.
Plan on a 120" diag. drop down screen, so that leaves about 2' on either side of the screen for the towers. They will need to be close to the side wall.
Center will be on a stand below the screen. (need something movable because there is a door behind the screen to the furnace room)

I like the idea of the DefTechs built in sub, but wonder if I will need a dedicated sub for a room this size. Also wonder if I should feed them with the sub out on the AVR or set them up as full size and let the internal crossover do the work.
I have heard a lot about the Golden Ear but the only store that has them does not have the DefTechs or the Martin Logan to compare to (nor do they carry Denon). Also when we listened to them, these seems very directional so might not work for a HT where we want a large sweet spot so everyone can enjoy the movie.
From some visits to BB Magnolia, I have listened to these a few times (taking the wife this weekend to listen some more) and think the Martin Logans sound great for music but this will be a movie room primarily.

For music and regular TV I have a setup in the great room with a nearly 10 year old set of Paradigm Studio 60 v.2, Studio CC v.2 and Studio ADP v.2, and sub. I could move these to the HT and back fill with something else if this would be a better choice for the HT. The great room is hard to fill as it is 20x40 with 22' ceilings.

If you own or have cross shopped any of these options, I appreciate your thoughts,

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot a few details:
I am setting up the room for 5.1 but wiring it for 7.1. The side surrounds will be 2' off the back wall and about 1.5' behind the listener. The future rear surrounds will be 2.5' in from the side walls (so 10' apart). All will be at 6' off the floor.
Also wondering if I will need any wall treatments.
Finally, there is a 4x6 window on the back wall with full black-out shades. and FWIW, going with an Epson 5030UB projector and a Da-Lite 89908L screen.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 PM

Liked: 27
From what I understand built-in subs are more difficult to get a flat frequency response. Usually I see separate subs recommended on here over built-in.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I used to have Dt bipolar speakers. They do create a large sweet spot but do require a stand alone sub. Just FYI, the sub does not need to be by the same company as your other speakers. In my experience, placing speakers very close to side walls is a bad idea. I would consider going with a smaller screen to give them a bit more breathing room. And would also recommend absorption panels be installed. Speaker placement is very important to get the right sound in any room. Any of the brands you mentioned are good, just personal choice asto which is best.

post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

How close can I get to the side wall and still be ok? Is 20" too close?
I really don't want to go with a smaller screen if I can avoid it. And I don't want to use a perf screen.

As for the DefTechs, do the subs fire out the outer side or the inner side? Can I swap them so they fire to the inner side or are they specified L and R?

I have been getting mixed info on needing a sub. Some say the DefTech and GEs can handle the job. Some say I need one. Some say that since I am on concrete, I need a sub in the back to complement the front ones.
Any opinion on that? And what size sub would I need for this room?

Any issue driving any of these choices with the X4000?

Where would I place absorption panels? Sides? Back? And any good sources to buy from?

thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

So, we spent a few hours listening and ended up with the B&Ws for L,R,C,SL,SR but got the Martin Logan sub.
And they had a great deal on an open box SR7007 so we picked that up instead of the X4000.
But now that I have researched the SR7007, I think I am going to return it and get the SR7008 or the AVR-4520 or the Yamaha A3030. Not sure yet, but they are all $2k. I want the XT32 or the better YPAO. The SR7007 only has XT.
I also want to bi-amp the 683s and be able to add some 686s for rears in the future to make it a full 7.1 setup. So a 9.2 amp now seems like a better choice.

Any opinions on what receiver to drive these? I like the smoothness of the SR, but the Yamaha has great DACs and good review and some other nice features. The Denon is also supposed to be quite nice.

BTW: I liked the DefTechs but the B&W killed on music and seemed less harsh and colored in comparison. We agreed that they would be less fatiguing when watching longer movies. In the end, the WAF pointed to the B&Ws.
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - 5030UB by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page