Do you adjust floorstanding speakers height? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
One of the rules for positioning speakers is to set tweeter at the ears level, that's easy to do for bookshelf speakers with adjustable stands, but what about floorstanding speakers? When I sit down my ears are about 47 inches off the floor, that's higher than most floorstanding speakers. Do you guys try to put something underneath, get a different chair or just don't bother? biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Liked: 15

I just put the speakers where I like. The speaker police have yet to give me summons.

post #3 of 6 Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post

One of the rules for positioning speakers is to set tweeter at the ears level, that's easy to do for bookshelf speakers with adjustable stands, but what about floorstanding speakers? When I sit down my ears are about 47 inches off the floor, that's higher than most floorstanding speakers. Do you guys try to put something underneath, get a different chair or just don't bother? biggrin.gif
I would contact the manufacturer and find out where the neutral axis of the speaker is and adjust the speaker or chair height to match if ear height was substantially different. I placed stands under my KEF 104/2s when I used them in my bedroom as the bed is quite high and the sound changed quite a bit as I moved up from tweeter height. I'll do the same with the new pair I'm building to replace the KEFs so that they can be used in a more conventional manner in another room later.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-19-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post

Yes if I need to.

Experiment by moving your head up and down at LP distance and see if the sound changes for better or worse.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

I would contact the manufacturer and find out where the neutral axis of the speaker is and adjust the speaker or chair height to match if ear height was substantially different.

Good idea! Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
What matters is having the tweeter axis on line with your head. If they're too low put something under the front edge of the speakers to tilt them back enough to accomplish that.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page