In-Wall Speakers - Having some trouble - AVS Forum
Speakers > In-Wall Speakers - Having some trouble
cyberyoda0's Avatar cyberyoda0 10:45 PM 04-23-2014

Hi all,

I am having some issues trying to figure out my setup, so I figured I'd leave it to you experts!  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

We just got our first house, and I have always wanted surround.  But the house is kind of oddly shaped, and unfortunately mounting the TV above the fireplace is the only logical place for it.  Also my wife doesn't want the "clutter" of speakers everywhere, so I've been looking at in-walls.  I've already bought the TV, but am trying to do the planning before I purchase anything else.  But I've run into some complications.  The studs above the fireplace are off center.  I've put together a quick photoshop to illustrate.  I tried to get everything (except stud width) pretty close to scale.  I was using the sizes of Polk 265 RT for left & right, and a Polk 255C-RT center, but these aren't necessarily the speakers I'll be using.

The red dot is roughly center vertically and horizontally.  I'm not very skilled with my hands, and that is an exterior wall.  So I don't think I feel comfortable cutting through the stud that clips the edge of the center speaker.  I think it would bug me too much to move it to the right away from the stud.

What do you guys think?  Would an in-ceiling center speaker be weird?

I did look at one of the ads on your page for Axiom, and saw they have some thin on-wall speakers that you can have custom finished.  This could certainly be a possibility, but I've never heard Axiom in person before.  A regular center channel wouldn't fit on the mantle, it's only about 6" wide.

I don't have too much to spend, maybe a little over $1k for the 5 surrounds.

Thanks for any help!

-Billy

turt's Avatar turt 11:11 PM 04-23-2014
With all your constraints, I would suggest no center channel and running phantom. There have been times where I've done this - it's not bad. This will allow you to lower the tv, which is really high. It will also save you a couple hundred bucks. smile.gif. Putting the center on-ceiling is DEFINITELY a last resort. If you are set on having the center, there are many manufacturers that make shallow on-walls that will fit on you mantle. I have Paradigm on-walls.
turt's Avatar turt 11:13 PM 04-23-2014
Are you budgeting for a sub also? Is this included in your $1000?
cyberyoda0's Avatar cyberyoda0 11:28 PM 04-23-2014

Ya, I was thinking the same thing about the TV being really high.  Would you lose out on a lot of the voice audio without a center channel?  I'm mostly going to be using it for TV/movies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turt View Post

Are you budgeting for a sub also? Is this included in your $1000?

I currently have a Definitive Technology sub.  10", 700 watt.  It sounds good, but I don't think it will have the output for the new TV room.  I do want to upgrade it, but that will have to wait.  The $1000 is just for the surround.  I don't mind going a bit over that if there's a good solution for my situation.

turt's Avatar turt 05:36 AM 04-24-2014
Your receiver should have a setting called phantom (or perhaps a something analogous) that takes the center track in a 5.1 signal and send it to the left and right instead. So the vocals are still there, it's just not as localized. If you're receiver doesn't do this, scrap that idea.

How big is the room?
cyberyoda0's Avatar cyberyoda0 07:51 AM 04-24-2014

It's a large room.  I'll have to get the dimensions when I get home tonight, but it's basically the den, a breakfast nook, and the kitchen in one large area.

I didn't realize receivers had that option, thanks.  I'll check my manual.

Skytrooper's Avatar Skytrooper 10:27 AM 04-24-2014
This is my personal opinion, I don't like fireplaces. They hardly get used and they always seem to be in the way. A friend of mine boxed his in so he could locate his Home Theater there. I know other people with the same issue, where the fireplace is just happens to be the best location for a HT. Your TV should be at eye level for best viewing. It gets uncomfortable looking up at a TV. The studs in my 16 x 24 addition were off center so I added extra 2 x 6's to center the TV for wall mounting. I felt just like you wanting everything to be centered.

If you still want a center speaker, maybe just buy a center that will fit on top of your fireplace instead of in wall center. Or maybe box in that fireplace. wink.gif
cyberyoda0's Avatar cyberyoda0 10:43 AM 04-24-2014

Skytrooper,

I feel the same way about the fireplace.  I live in the freaking desert, when the heck am I going to need a fire?  Plus, it's gas.  So it barely even heats the room.  Unfortunately though, I am no handyman.  I almost killed myself plugging in the dryer.  Who knows what would happen if I tried to build a wall!  I got a tilting mount, so hopefully it's not too uncomfortable to watch TV.

Skytrooper's Avatar Skytrooper 03:48 PM 04-24-2014
Just got back from my friends house near Clearwater, Florida. Guess what? He has a fireplace in Florida! Guess where he wants to locate his Home Theater? Yep. He considered tearing it out but he has a wife and she says no. Another thing she claims it adds thousands of dollars to the value of the home. I live near Pittsburgh. A lot of people here have them. A lot of them thought they were the greatest when they first moved in. Now they are hardly used. Probably once a year at Christmas. Did you know they actually suck heat out of the house and send it right up the chimney?

So, I guess I'm done venting about fireplaces. I see you got a tilting mount and that should help you out. Enjoy your system and stay away from electricity (Dryers) smile.gif
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 04:15 PM 04-24-2014
Fireplace in FL; another example of modern stupidity. Your wife isn't wrong when she says it adds value as there are plenty of dumb home buyers out there.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 04:52 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberyoda0 View Post

I feel the same way about the fireplace.  I live in the freaking desert, when the heck am I going to need a fire?  Plus, it's gas.  So it barely even heats the room.  Unfortunately though, I am no handyman.  I almost killed myself plugging in the dryer.  Who knows what would happen if I tried to build a wall!  I got a tilting mount, so hopefully it's not too uncomfortable to watch TV.

If you do not really want to tear into stuff - then I would look at something like the Boston P442 L/C/R speakers.

You can place 2 ea vertical for the L/R, and 1 horizontal under the TV for the center channel.
It will be about 5.7 inches high in horizontal placement.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosp442ba/boston-acoustics-p442-lcr-left-right-center-speaker-black-each-new/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/mas_assets/cache/image/1/4/f/4/5364.Jpg
cyberyoda0's Avatar cyberyoda0 07:57 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by turt View Post

How big is the room?

So the den area is about 15'x17', but there's also a nook and a kitchen in the same space.  It's kind of weirdly shaped, so here's the room on the diagram that came with the house.  The fireplace isn't labelled on there, but it's on the left wall of the Family room.  And the angled line between the Family and Kitchen is just a counter/bar, not a full wall.

Thanks for the link Zieglj01.  I think that's what I will end up having to do, using a thin on-wall center.  I don't mind cutting the drywall (I probably wouldn't kill myself doing that) for the L&R.

Any thoughts about using a passive soundbar as a center channel?  Is that even possible?

zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 08:26 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberyoda0 View Post

Thanks for the link Zieglj01.  I think that's what I will end up having to do, using a thin on-wall center.  I don't mind cutting the drywall (I probably wouldn't kill myself doing that) for the L&R.

Any thoughts about using a passive soundbar as a center channel?  Is that even possible?

Do not use a passive soundbar as a center - the P442 that I linked is 3 seperate speakers.
It is best to timbre (voice tone) match the front 3 channels. >> Something like the Boston
on-wall is a good option and you are separating the 3 speakers for better sound-staging.

The Boston P400 is the soundbar version, with 3 channels in one piece - you would use it
as a last resort, if there were no other options for the front 3 channels.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosp400ba/boston-acoustics-p400-soundbar-speaker-black-new/1.html
cyberyoda0's Avatar cyberyoda0 08:55 PM 04-24-2014

Okay, great.  Thanks.  I don't foresee any issues with the other 2 front channels.

cyberyoda0's Avatar cyberyoda0 04:04 PM 04-27-2014

Would using a different center from the L/R mess up the timbre, even from the same company?  I'd like to at least keep the front & back L/R's in-wall (for the wife). Something like:

1)

Front L/R: Boston VSi 555W2

Center: Boston MCenter

Rear L/R: Boston VSi 585

That MCenter is just over 6" tall, so it would fit nicely under the TV without having to raise it up to the ceiling.

If this works, what do you think about these other combo's vs. the Boston?

2)

Front L/R: Polk 265 RT

Center: Polk TL3c

Rear L/R: Polk RC85i

3)

Front L/R: Def Tech UIW 75

Center: Def Tech Mythos Seven or ProCenter 1000 (my wife likes the white...)

Rear L/R: Def Tech UIW 55

rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 06:11 PM 04-27-2014
Just wanted to mention that Accessories4Less have great deals on Boston Acoustic in wall speakers. I generally prefer sealed models myself. Monitor Audio, Triad, Axiom, and others offered sealed designs.
Up
Mobile  Desktop