Surrounds to match Hsu HB-1s that aren't so big, or go in wall? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after months of searching, listening, re listening and re researching I so far have put together:

Denon X1000 receiver
Fronts: Hsu HB-1 mk2
Sub: Hsu VTF-15h

Time to add center and surrounds and can't make up my mind.  Center is a no brainer, matched to the fronts. But for surrounds I have some options:

1) Another set of hb-1's matching the fronts on wall mounts.  This should sound the best but look the worst.
2) HSU in wall version
3) Some other wall mount that is smaller, preferably white (ie focal sib, something about that size)
4) In ceiling speakers (blah don't think I can take the tradeoff in sound)

I like to listen loud, and at the end of the day: sound > WAF.  I think some in wall hiw-1's might be the answer, as long as it's not a huge trade off for surround duty.  I have a wall about 3 feet behind the couch to mount them on/in.  I want the surrounds still crossed over at 80/100 hz. 120 and my sub localizes since it's next to the couch end table style.  My receiver allows separate x-over for front/center/rear/sub.

Any small options out there? 
In walls a huge tradeoff?
If I get the big matching bookshelf speakers I'd probably have to corner mount them up high to keep them somewhat out of sight.

Last edited by KEV-LAR; 09-02-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

And BTW anyone considering some hb-1's they sound quite pleasing, pretty amazed at how some of these budget bookshelf speakers can sound for the cost.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I had the same issue. Have HB1's and and HC 1 as well as the HSU STF 2 in the front. My room can't equip HB1's in the rear so I put 2 JBL satellites with the brackets on my walls in the back. They do well. Is it ideal, no, but for now I'm quite pleased with the set up.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Since I often read a thread and wonder what the poster ended up concluding, thought I'd give this a follow up.

I ended up goimg with some hsu in wall to match. They sound almost as good as the bookshelf at all but massive volumes, as the enclosure is less ideal. No regrets.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-03-2014, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
Congratulations, and thanks for reporting back. I hate it when all of a sudden we get no info on what's been decided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page