Bi-Amping Klipsch RF62 II -Is it worth? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi,

Just wanted to know is it worth bi-amping Klipsch RF 62 II- because i am planning to buy a receiver with extra two channels (2 amps) especially for bi-amping purpose. 

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifimaan View Post

Just wanted to know is it worth bi-amping Klipsch RF 62 II-
Only if your receiver has an electronic crossover to split the bandwidths before being amplified (most do not) and you remove the passive crossovers from the speakers. Otherwise, no,

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

thanks , good to know. What about Marantz SR7008 does it have this feature?. 

post #4 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 172
AV amps, don't. To go "proper" bi-amping you're talking Linn Aktiv speakers with line level crossover cards and specific speakers.

I do think passive bi-amping is worth it. I wouldn't bother for the HT, for but Hi-Fi it is.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

Hi,

Just wanted to know is it worth bi-amping Klipsch RF 62 II- because i am planning to buy a receiver with extra two channels (2 amps) especially for bi-amping purpose. 

Thanks

No. Keep the jumpers between the binding posts on and run one set of wires.
jproy13 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Then what is the use of subwoofers in the front towers when i have a good sub or both sub woofer can be used? for example RF62 II can go up to 35Hz and if my sub goes down to 20Hz can i still make use of the subwoofers in RF62?.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Those aren't subwoofers but Low Frequency Drivers and with the straps between the binding posts inserted will still work. The RF-62 is a 2-way speaker and the higher notes are sent to the horn tweeter and the lower notes will be sent to those two drivers....If you run your speakers as Small and use a separate Subwoofer then you will set a crossover in the Bass Mgmt section of your AVR and that will turn you Home Theater into a 3-way system with the lowest end going there-- Fwiw, anything below 80 Hz isn't directional and when you send the lower notes there it takes some strain off of your AVR and you can play material louder with better sound quality from you other speakers.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

Then what is the use of subwoofers in the front towers when i have a good sub or both sub woofer can be used? for example RF62 II can go up to 35Hz and if my sub goes down to 20Hz can i still make use of the subwoofers in RF62?.

They're not subwoofers they'r woofers. Not many floorstanders have subwoofers in them, some Definitive Technology. I use Kef Reference and the bass drivers in them aren't equal to a sub, however for stereo I do prefer larger mains, rather than standmounts + subwoofer. Although it depends on the the room, and the setup. Small room = small speakers. However other things to consider can alter crossover frequency, or are you sending full range. Or do you run high pass so able to filter out low bass from speakers. When running full range what is like in that room? Too boom? Then use a crossover, with a sub to bring up low end but not so much as floorstanders in a small room. When you listen to music (large room) do you prefer floorstanders with no sub?

Budget too. And what amplifiers you are using. It's not really a simple answer that one is better than the other.

btw I use floorstanders + sub in the HT. And standmounts + sub in the Hi-Fi.

Some people prefer using THX style speakers in the HT. It's all down to taste.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #9 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Agreed those aren't subwoofers in the towers but woofers and they are only rated to 35Hz (maybe) I would set those speakers as small and crossed over at 40Hz (60 maybe even better). If you set them to large then they are going to try and reproduce lower frequencies it cant handle and you'll get distortion. I have Def tech BP7001's that have a built in "subwoofer" 10" and two 10" passive radiators with a built in 1500 watt amp and even I don't use them as Large as using them Large caused a very bloated sounding bass. So I use the built in "powered woofers" as mid bass sub modules set to small and crossed to my SVS at 40Hz. Bass tightened right up and those speakers are rated to 18Hz (yeah right) most they can do is about 27Hz before dropping like a rock. Never believe big name company frequency responses. Sure a close mic in a sealed chamber maybe can pick up a signal at 18Hz but in real world situations not so much.

Best to play it safe and set those as small and crossed at 40Hz or 60Hz whichever sounds better to you. Let your outboard subwoofer do the heavy lifting of the lower frequencies.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Just in case you can't quite visualise what is going on yet... understand those speakers are only 2-ways. The crossover is 1500hz from the two woofers to the horn tweeter. The two woofers (acting as one) cover everything from 1500hz down. The horn, everything from 1500hz and up.

So taking 60 or 80hz off the two woofers and sending that to subs is still leaving 60 or 80hz and up all the way to 1500hz to the woofers.

You get two benefits from doing that. Better coverage from say 80hz down, and better midrange clarity because of the midrange drivers being relieved of the very low bass duties. It's a win win.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page