DirecTV to New HDTV to Logitech speakers--serious hum - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been down this road before and a ground loop interrupter is not the solution.

Do the new TV's have a different output for speakers that obviously uses a different output than the headphone jack input?

Possibly such an output would not carry the hum through the speakers?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 369
It's' called optical out. Look in your manual for instructions (meant nicely) - it should be easy to follow.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg2 View Post

I've been down this road before and a ground loop interrupter is not the solution.

Do the new TV's have a different output for speakers that obviously uses a different output than the headphone jack input?

Possibly such an output would not carry the hum through the speakers?

Mark

Are you saying you HAVE a new TV and have a problem, or are you thinking about which TV to buy to avoid a problem? That is not clear.

I recently bought a new Sony 60" TV, and I selected it for several reasons, including the fact that it has an analog stereo (3.5mm) output jack that I hook to my preamp for 2.1.

It also has an optical output for 5.1 if that is ever needed.

Some brands/models of TVs have no analog output, so I eliminated them from consideration.

Either way, there should be no hum issue unless the speakers are defective. Maybe they are .

I have no hum issue at all; zero.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

To clarify....I just purchased an RCA 2934 Class 2934 Diag LED 720p 60Hz HDTV DVD Combo.

Neither the manual (a piece of folder paper) nor the side of the TV calls out an Optical Out.

Going from the bottom up on the side of the TV:

1. Digital audio out: that looked like the simplest (a single pin). Just for the heck of it I tired plugging the single male for the Logitech speakers and although there was no hum, there also was no sound.

2. L-Audio-R (white/red)

3. Composite/y Pb Pr (green/blue/red)

Mark
post #5 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Going from the bottom up on the side of the TV:

1. Digital audio out: that looked like the simplest (a single pin). Just for the heck of it I tired plugging the single male for the Logitech speakers and although there was no hum, there also was no sound.

2. L-Audio-R (white/red)

3. Composite/y Pb Pr (green/blue/red)

#1 is a coaxial digital audio output. You wont get any hum from that as it is a digital signal. But you also need to connect device that has a digital coaxial input.

#2 is analog output. More than likely you'd connect your Logitech speakers to that. You may need a cable/adapter. You didn't specify what Logitech model you have.

#3 is component video, no audio.

Afro GT
post #6 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

#1 is a coaxial digital audio output. You wont get any hum from that as it is a digital signal. But you also need to connect device that has a digital coaxial input.

#2 is analog output. More than likely you'd connect your Logitech speakers to that. You may need a cable/adapter. You didn't specify what Logitech model you have.

#3 is component video, no audio.

Actually, I think #2 is probably the analog audio INPUT which is associated with the Composite Video INPUT. (5 input cables total)

The product description says something about a digital audio output on the REAR of the set, plus a "shared L/R headphone out", whatever that is.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

So if #1, the single female pin input seems the way to go, what do I call the connector/plug that I need to buy that I can plug my single pin Logitech speaker connector into that will then mate with the '#1' TV input?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if #1, the single female pin input seems the way to go, what do I call the connector/plug that I need to buy that I can plug my single pin Logitech speaker connector into that will then mate with the '#1' TV input?

That is a DIGITAL output signal, and you would have to run it through a Digital-to-Analog Converter before you could send it to the speakers. Just using some sort of connector adapter will not change the signal from digital to analog.

If that "shared L/R Headphone" jack is a 3.5 mm analog output jack, which it may be, you should be able to just run a cable with 3.5mm stereo plugs on both ends from the TV to the speakers. If that is what you are already doing now, and the hum is there, you probably need some different speakers that don't hum.

Most Logitech speakers I have seen are very cheap low-quality stuff, and maybe that is the whole problem.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

$23 @ Walmart classifies as Cheap. My intent is not great sound quality just a better sound with more range and fullness than the really crap tv internal speakers.

Questions:

Am I likely barking up the wrong tree trying to use external speakers that plug into the tv headphone jack or is there an inexpensive better quality computer speaker that you would recommend trying?

Or recommend an inexpensive regular speaker that doesn't come with the wires already molded and can accept two pin connectors that I would then plug into #2 on the tv?
post #10 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Maybe look at a Soundbar? Since you mentioned Walmart, there are four models under $60
post #11 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

$23 @ Walmart classifies as Cheap. My intent is not great sound quality just a better sound with more range and fullness than the really crap tv internal speakers.

Questions:

Am I likely barking up the wrong tree trying to use external speakers that plug into the tv headphone jack or is there an inexpensive better quality computer speaker that you would recommend trying?

Or recommend an inexpensive regular speaker that doesn't come with the wires already molded and can accept two pin connectors that I would then plug into #2 on the tv?

Are you even sure that is an audio output?

Afro GT
post #12 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well when it has a picture of headphones next to the jack even I can figure out it's an audio output for headphones :-).

I stopped by Radio Schlock and picked up a pair of computer speakers that are a lot more powerful than the Logitech. The hum is almost negligible. If it weren't for the separate sub woofer I would have kept them--too much stuff for too small a space.

So my next plan of action is to elevate from WalMart and Radio Schlock to Best Buy and Amazon and find computer speakers without a sub-woofer yet with the same or more power than the last speakers.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I returned the RS speakers and purchased a pair of Genius SP-HF800A 'headphone jack' speakers from Amazon for $49.

The hum is completely gone.

I noticed base distortion on a sports channel that broadcasted an athlete with a low male voice--I think I mitigated the problem turning down the base on the speaker. I now have the tone set to the middle and will listen for a few weeks before making the final decision whether to keep the speakers. Otherwise, the sound (for cheap TV speakers) is really good.

So the initial Logitech speakers with the awful hum were 5 watts, the RS speakers were 16 watts and the Genius are 20 watts.

One could then make the argument that getting rid of the hum has less to do with 'better' speakers and more to do with more powerful speakers--unless better speakers are naturally more powerful?

Mark
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page