Best POLK In-Ceiling Speakers Combination for 5.1 Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi There,

We are buying a new build condo with a large combined living. Please see the picture below for the setup.  Basically a 24" wide room, but the couch will be halfway between, about 18 or so long, and ten foot ceilings. It will be setup for a 5.1 speaker system, all in ceiling. This is not negotiable with the builder, or my wife. We really like the look of in ceiling speakers.  We will lose to a little bit of music, but mostly movies and sports (she loves football even more than I do).

We will likely be using a Yamaha RX-A7300 Aventage receiver.

What speakers/combinations would you all recommend?

We were initially thinking about three Sonance VP66r in the front with then 2 VP62r in the back, but people kept raving about the Polk setups being a great bang for the buck. We do not want to skimp on performance (Which is why we got the Yamaha receiver) but if we could get really good sound on a budget, then we would be realllllly happy (the place we are getting is costing a bit more than we had initially hoped).

We were thinking about going with TC80is for the front three and then RC80is for the back two, but someone at Polk told em that the timbre mismatch with that combination would be noticeable.  We asked if it would be better to use MC80s up front and he told me that he would either go all RC80i (that the MC80s would be similar to the RC80is), or all TC80i.

Would you recommend we go with all RC80is? Would the RC80i be okay/enough/sound goof for the front LCR setup? I have heard that the back surrounds do not matter as much, so I want to make sure that the "important speakers" will be enough to be the front three.

Would you recommend we mix and match speakers from different lines?  Should our Center channel be a different speaker?

Is there something else we should be looking at?

Polk recommended that we get the PSW125 sub with that setup.  All in all, the Polk setup with 5 RC80i speakers is a stellar deal, but we are willing to spend a bit more.  Total budget for just the speakers would be around $700-800 (of course, less is desired if possible).

I have been really overwhelmed piecing together opinions, so any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Paul 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I would strongly suggest as I always do and always will... PLEASE DO NOT USE IN-CEILING SPEAKERS FOR FRONT 3 Speakers. Your front speakers should be facing your seating area. So please use In-Wall speakers for the front 3 if you want them built in.

I have never heard an in-ceiling set-up with the front 3's that sounded good.

In Ceilings are fine for surround speakers but they are not good for front 3 speakers
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the advice. But this is the only option.  So, if you HAD to pick something, what would it be?

Thank you for your help with this.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-30-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileradio View Post

I appreciate the advice. But this is the only option.  So, if you HAD to pick something, what would it be?

Thank you for your help with this.
I wouldn't bother judging by every in-ceiling speaker set-up I heard as the front 3 not matter the brand that includes Polk's. The sound never felt like it was coming from the screen and there was a audible disconnect to my ears. So much so that I could never compromise that myself nor recommend it.

I have yet to experience the angled in-ceiling speakers from other companies so I would take those over them.

If you can only do in-ceilings than I would look at angled in-ceilings so the sound is at least somewhat pushed in the direction of your seating area. Like these: http://www.htd.com/Products/high-definition/HD-R65AIM-ceiling-speakers?gclid=CO-OgqbHiL4CFeMSOgodWQIAaQ

BTWs there are better subwoofers than the PSW125.

My Polk RM6750 Satellite speaker set-up front 3 had better sound imaging than using in-ceilings as the front 3.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

The HDT suggestion looks really great. I have not heard anything about them... are they pretty well respected (for being "budget" speakers)?  I really like the idea of having angled in ceiling speakers.

And again, I would love to NOT having in ceiling speakers - but the aesthetics of in ceiling speakers WILL, no matter what, win out here. 

What subwoofer would you recommend as well?

post #6 of 12 Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

HTD is very respected here with their cabinet speakers. And their risk free in home trial's they offer with some speakers is a nice bonus.

Aesthetics and sound quality rarely go together, especially when you are on a budget.
-HTD HD-R65AIM High Definition In-Ceiling Speakers pair for front left and right
-Single HTD HD-R65AIM High Definition In-Ceiling Speaker for center
-HTD HD-R65 High Definition In-Ceiling Speakers for surrounds

That comes to $368

Given that your room is pretty open I like the SVS PB-1000(they occassionally have these in their online outlet for $450) or the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus (currently on sale for $499 shipped) or Reaction Audio BPS 212 "Turbo" Powered Subwoofer (New internet direct company which has been getting some positive reviews from its customers in the subwoofer section)

Reason why I recommend these internet direct companies as they give you more value as you don't have to pay a middle man
post #7 of 12 Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

HTD is very respected here with their cabinet speakers. And their risk free in home trial's they offer with some speakers is a nice bonus.

Aesthetics and sound quality rarely go together, especially when you are on a budget.
-HTD HD-R65AIM High Definition In-Ceiling Speakers pair for front left and right
-Single HTD HD-R65AIM High Definition In-Ceiling Speaker for center
-HTD HD-R65 High Definition In-Ceiling Speakers for surrounds

That comes to $368

Given that your room is pretty open I like the SVS PB-1000(they occassionally have these in their online outlet for $450) or the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus (currently on sale for $499 shipped) or Reaction Audio BPS 212 "Turbo" Powered Subwoofer (New internet direct company which has been getting some positive reviews from its customers in the subwoofer section)

Reason why I recommend these internet direct companies as they give you more value as you don't have to pay a middle man

That is all really helpful. Htd recommend I go with their standard 8inch speakers for the back surrounds so I might go with those. Have you heard of any specific center in ceiling speaker that might match with the htd speakers?

And I will definitely check out those subwoofers... I really appreciate the help.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

And now, to bring in more options, I got some recommendations for the outdoor speaker supply MK670 and MK650. Any chance you know how these would compare?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I really love my tc60i's, but I am not sure they are available any longer. get the TC80i's and don't look back. Also the biggest hsu sub you can afford. HSU is awesome.

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #10 of 12 Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileradio View Post

And now, to bring in more options, I got some recommendations for the outdoor speaker supply MK670 and MK650. Any chance you know how these would compare?
I rather go with the HTD for in-ceiling speakers. And they are cheaper too!
post #11 of 12 Old 05-01-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

I rather go with the HTD for in-ceiling speakers. And they are cheaper too!

+1
It is not going to be a Alice In Wonderland experience, with the front
channel in ceiling speakers - HTD will be fine with that budget. There
will be no dramatic differences.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #12 of 12 Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am sorry, but one last question.... What about htd vs monoprice? I think I am just going to pull the trigger in the next day or two. So many options. The htd angled 645aims in the front with their 8 inch straight down speakers for surround seem like a decent setup... Then a good sub.

Thank you so much for your help everyone!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page