Help! Dump my system vs. start over - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 45

Here is my problem, I cannot stand my current audio system for movies (never used for music).  I have had a Yamaha RX-V375 and Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers for a two or three months (Darn Amazon for the good reviews on both).  I fried (within two weeks) the voice coil on the Energy sub-woofer, replaced the sub-woofer speaker and added a BIC f12 sub-woofer.  I still can't get the system to sound "good" to me. It sounds "plain" unless I crank it up.  The wife says I must be going deaf since it sounds okay to her.  (I think she is okay with it from a financial aspect (spend no more), and not with it sounds good to her - during a recent movie *below* she suggested going to headphones.)

I am ready to either replace the speakers or just break down and get something like the Fry's 7.1 Klipsch combo for $1200....but, I am not sure which route to take.  Replace the fronts and center with quality speakers (well quality for me..I like the gold/copper look of the Klipsch)...but, then the Yamaha might be the problem.  Replace everything and then I have wasted about $750.  Live with it and use it for TV (dialog is clear)  and use headphones/old setup for movies for movies.

Nothing is calibrated other than letting the Yamaha do it's automatic setup via the microphone.  The Energy speakers sound much "better" as they have aged...but, once again I found "us" turning the 5.1 off during "Gravity" (I probably should have turned Gravity off) in favor of use using JVC wireless headphones.

Any advice would be appreciated.  My room is the one in the top right of the plans with the stairs and about 15 x 19 with lots of junk (book shelves, exercise equipment, etc.).  I know the room setup is not suited to good audio with the shape/speaker next to the wall/junk in the room.

I made the mistake of starting with a Logitech 2.1 200 watt system with a sub-woofer that most describe as having too much "boom", and I like "boom" or feel of a movie without going deaf. (My vehicle has a lot of "boom" (great sub) as well and I spend two hours a day in it.)  I have even "toyed" with the idea of just getting the Logitech Z906 5.1 system for about $310 and giving up on the receiver.

So the question is: throw money at what I have, or buy a new system (will I even notice a difference with the Klipsch system/speakers without professional calibration/set up *someone who knows what they are doing*), or get the Logitech Z906 with it's "boom", or just stick with what I've got and have a professional install a quality system in my "retirement" house (next house) in a year or three?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Well, you don't have a system, you have components. Without spending money on treating your room getting different speakers and a better sub would be the next best option. I doubt your avr (or source) is the issue. You just need to get better speakers (and maybe not try to play them as loudly unless you get more capable speakers). That's a large room for the Energy Takes and the sub that comes with the Takes is pretty weak.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Disregard this thread.  I already knew what I needed to do which is put the appropriate money into a "system"  or "components" from the start.  So for now, I'll do the "band aid" of  upgrading the front and center speakers (if they don't improve the overall sound, at least they will look good) and give the Logitech 5.1 a try. 

Old 05-03-2014, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'd look at either Klipsch or Energy floor-standing w/ 6.5" drivers front with a comparable center channel to start but you are looking at at least $1500 for just the three speakers. Energy RC-70 and RC-LCR or Klipsch 61/62 combo. That room will most likely need a pair of subs to fill it with boom. SVS SB/SP 2000 -- one to start and add a second if more LFE is desired. I usually recommend the Take Classic for rooms smaller than 12 x 10. I wouldn't even bother with the Logitech system if the Take Classic wasn't cutting it. Logitech makes good systems for media in small rooms but they aren't very good at all in big rooms. If you stick with the Energy floor-standing then you should be able to use the Take system for the surrounds.

My room is smaller than yours and I'm pushing 3000 watts to 11 speakers with an additional 3000 watts of sub power. Gravity is absolutely killer on my system but sad to see man's whole space program go up in a big cloud of debris in 30 minutes. I've watched it several times already with different groups of people.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Old 05-03-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 210
If you are going to continue to use the energy takes as surrounds and go to larger front speakers I suggest a different receiver as the Yamaha only has one crossover setting. And with larger speakers they would need a lower crossover than your takes as surrounds.

Addittionally the Yamaha struggles to make any real power then driving all speakers in surround mode.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and I kind of figured it would be better to do a complete dump of what I have now and change both the speakers and the AVR by trying to catch a "combo" deal at Fry's or World Wide Stereo....but for now, I will just try upgrading the fronts and center.  It is currently not a budget issue (I'm just cheap).   Also,  I am trying to apply a three month "use" rule to my purchases and I bought the current..."stuff" March 8th, so I think I will start "small" with Klipsch speakers (maybe the ones suggested above).   

I really think "audio" is going to be a problem for me.  With a projector or TV, it is fairly easy...get one put it up and enjoy. Audio is another issue since  I am a plug and play guy who needs something I can plug in and "play".   Unless the AVR automatic setup handles "crossovers" on it's own, I am out of luck absent a professional install. 

So for the short run, I just need to find the right place with the right price on Klipsch speakers, and try the speakers for a while before upgrading the AVR and the rest of the speakers.  I may just go with a 3.2 system and get a SVS subwoofer (and also use my three week old  sub BIC F12 unless that is a bad idea). 

Old 05-04-2014, 01:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

If you are going to continue to use the energy takes as surrounds and go to larger front speakers I suggest a different receiver as the Yamaha only has one crossover setting. And with larger speakers they would need a lower crossover than your takes as surrounds.

Addittionally the Yamaha struggles to make any real power then driving all speakers in surround mode.

Agreed. A Denon E300 would be an upgrade without breaking the bank.

I'd skip the combo deals and focus on your front three speakers, then a sub upgrade after that. A good sub will run you around $500. For speakers, I'd look at HSU, EMP Tek, or Ascend Acoustics.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For extremely budget minded (I know you said budget wasn't an issue, but you like to spend frugally), I'd actually recommend checking out newegg.com for speaker and receiver deals. They always got something going on for a lot entry level stuff. Since it sounds like you don't really care for the auditioning process and just want some bang for the buck that'd be my point of attack. By bank for the buck I mean something relatively inexpensive but will provide the kind of "nice" sound you're looking for. I recall seeing some JBL deal of LCR for like $250. In any case, might be worth a look for you,

Cheers and good luck!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Consider getting your system professionally calibrated. It made a HUGE difference in my system.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 64
steve1106, you need to allow some time to figure it out.

As suggested, the Energy Takes and sub aren't enough for that room. Professional calibration isn't going to make them sound bigger. Larger speakers will.

A receiver with good room correction should help.