Planning to buy Polk RTiA1; question about compatibility - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I notice that the back of the RtiA1 has 2 pairs of inputs, meant for bi-wiring. Do I have to do this? If not, does it matter which input I use?

My amp is a Technics su-z550 and the watts per channel is 70 (8 ohm). Is it decent enough to power the speakers which recommends 20-120 watts?

link to my amp's specs: http://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/technics/suz550-service-manual.html . Scroll down to last picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem View Post

I notice that the back of the RtiA1 has 2 pairs of inputs, meant for bi-wiring. Do I have to do this? If not, does it matter which input I use?

My amp is a Technics su-z550 and the watts per channel is 70 (8 ohm). Is it decent enough to power the speakers which recommends 20-120 watts?

link to my amp's specs: http://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/technics/suz550-service-manual.html . Scroll down to last picture.

Forget the bi-wiring and just use either the top or bottom posts with the metal bridges in place. Should be enough wattage unless you like it super duper loud.

imeem likes this.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #3 of 8 Old 05-11-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
BI-wiring is not needed until you get into very large speakers that draw a lot more power than you will need.

Putting 2 sets of terminals on there is silly, if you ask me.

Your amplifier spec sheet actually says 50 watts per channel at 8 ohms, if you look at the DIN spec sheet.

It will drive those speakers, but it will be marginal in terms of distortion/ sound quality.

The distortion specs given are with a load resistor connected, which is a joke.

Actual distortion, with a real speaker connected, will be 10 to 100 times higher; a speaker is a much more difficult load for the amplifier than a resistor.

Something like the Music Hall 15.3 or NAD C326BEE will sound much better much IMO.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2014, 07:19 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Some confusion here. Bi-wiring has nothing to do with power. It is the practice of sending two wires from the same amplifier terminal to two separate terminals on the speaker. In effect it just combines the two sides of the crossover at the amplifier terminal rather than at the speaker terminal. It accomplishes nothing.

Passive biamplification, on the other hand, adds another amplifier to the mix and connects each side of the crossover network to separate amplifiers. Since this sends full power to both sides of the crossover network it accomplishes almost nothing compared to bi-wiring which accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Speaker manufacturers have done a disservice to beginner audio enthusiasts by including the bi-wire terminals. OP. Ignore anything that says bi-wrie or bi-amplfy. These activiies won't produce anything meaningful for you.
imeem likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Your amplifier spec sheet actually says 50 watts per channel at 8 ohms, if you look at the DIN spec sheet.

the first page isn't exactly my amplifier. you have to scroll down to the last picture. I have no idea why different regions have different models. But regardless, i may buy a new amplifier in the future tho, but not at the same time as the speakers
post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

i have the RTIA1's as my fronts and they are superb! i am using the denon 1513 75W/channel and it sounds incredible:)

i have it connected to the bottom terminals and it sounds good!

post #7 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley08 View Post

i have the RTIA1's as my fronts and they are superb! i am using the denon 1513 75W/channel and it sounds incredible:)
i have it connected to the bottom terminals and it sounds good!

when you are close to them, how badly do they hiss? I'm planning to use them in a near-fielded scenario (computer speakers.). I somewhat learned to live with the hissing, but it's nice when they don't.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Good news, I was going to the store to check then out and found out that they were on sale for $229. I had the store help me order a pair that wasn't used. In that mean time, i can check online for some speaker wires.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page